Gransnet forums

Chat

The one song that still moves you

(241 Posts)
giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 09:15:34

For me, the one song that can always bring a lump to my throat is Eva Cassidy singing SONGBIRD. The first time I heard it, I was entering somebody's dining room with a group of people just behind me. This song was playing softly in the background and I literally stopped in my tracks and gasped. (Of course, everyone else bumped into me from behind!) What song does the same for you?

silversurf Sun 04-Feb-18 09:29:37

Two little boys. The love and loyalty always moves me.

harrigran Sun 04-Feb-18 09:31:44

Autumn leaves by Nat King Cole.

hildajenniJ Sun 04-Feb-18 09:52:01

The duet from The Pearl Fishers always brings tears to my eyes no matter how often I hear it.

Fennel Sun 04-Feb-18 09:53:49

I agree with you about Eva Cassidy, giulia. Over The Rainbow too.
Recently Nancy With The Laughing Face - reminds me of our dear collie who died a few weeks ago. (I substituted her name). She was always smiling. sad

kittylester Sun 04-Feb-18 09:56:11

There's a Place For Us from West Side Story.

gillybob Sun 04-Feb-18 09:57:39

High Sierra by Boz Scaggs . Moves me to tears .

Artyfarty Sun 04-Feb-18 09:58:50

I love Songbird too guilia but I prefer the original version by Christine Mcvie (Fleetwood Mac)

PoshGran Sun 04-Feb-18 09:59:22

Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

JackyB Sun 04-Feb-18 10:00:44

Leningrad by Billy Joel. Having lived through the fall of the Iron Curtain and the world-changing speech by Genscher in Budapest, I feel hat that song epitomises the time, although we still have a long way to go. I'm even welling up writing this.

gillybob Sun 04-Feb-18 10:02:28

youtu.be/ZDeTu6rpN-4

This one .... I’ll get me hankie .

lemongrove Sun 04-Feb-18 10:21:32

Same as Poshgran ...’The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face’
What a love song!
One of those rare songs that makes you stop whatever you are doing and just listen.

Teetime Sun 04-Feb-18 10:29:37

Time after Time Cyndi Lauper -very personal meaning- heartstopping!

Bathsheba Sun 04-Feb-18 10:43:38

Mollie's Song - Beverly Craven. This always brings a lump to my throat - I can still remember, after 40 odd years, feeling that way with my babies.

nanaK54 Sun 04-Feb-18 10:54:15

The Green fields of France

Smithy Sun 04-Feb-18 10:56:17

Every time We say Goodbye.

Anannymous Sun 04-Feb-18 10:58:38

Naomi by Ralph Mctell absolutely beautiful.

Juggernaut Sun 04-Feb-18 11:01:39

Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel.
It was played at my first boyfriend's DF's funeral and I still can't hear it now without blubbing!

paddyann Sun 04-Feb-18 11:10:00

any Puccini opera and I'm in floods of tears .My lovely dad always played opera at full bla
st on Saturday mornings when we were little...no long lies in our house.
Viennese waltzes ,in particular the Gold and Silver waltz .My granny's favourite and one she played every Sunday evening when we had our round the piano sing a long
The Carpenters We've Only Just Begun ..our first dance at our wedding

and a song by my favourite artist Eric Bibb called For You .

the music from Outlander ..it tore my heart out .

Paolo Nutini's Autumn Leaves ,about his late GF .

Music is a huge part of my life and so many that really make me emotional

TwiceAsNice Sun 04-Feb-18 11:16:25

Bridge over troubled water

A male voice choir singing Myfanwy or the Welsh National Anthem

The hymn Abide with me

The 23rd Psalm ( played at my sons funeral so upsets me every time) Ditto Once in Royal David's City because of the words

giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 11:17:27

Artyfarty Must listen to this version - she wrote Songbird, I think. Lemongrove and Poshgran - I agree that "The First Time Ever I saw Your Face" is another heartstopper. Wasn't it written by Flack's partner?

MissAdventure Sun 04-Feb-18 11:21:59

So many songs, these days. 'Sound of silence', 'Everybody Hurts' and 'The first time ever I saw your face' come to mind straight away.
I haven't heard some of the others mentioned here. I'll have to listen to them and have a weep, I think.

paddyann Sun 04-Feb-18 11:24:16

giulia it was written by Ewan McColl ,folk singer and father of Kirsty McColl of the Christmas in New York song with the Pogues

Marydoll Sun 04-Feb-18 11:24:48

Me too for Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.
What good taste we have. smile

jusnoneed Sun 04-Feb-18 11:33:07

Without You, Harry Nilsson - the one and only record bought for me as a romantic gesture (by my first love).
Sound of Silence another one you just have to listen to, the last rendition I loved was done by Disturbed - such a distinctive version.