Gransnet forums

Chat

The one song that still moves you

(242 Posts)
giulia Sun 04-Feb-18 09:15:34

For me, the one song that can always bring a lump to my throat is Eva Cassidy singing SONGBIRD. The first time I heard it, I was entering somebody's dining room with a group of people just behind me. This song was playing softly in the background and I literally stopped in my tracks and gasped. (Of course, everyone else bumped into me from behind!) What song does the same for you?

haporthrosie Tue 06-Feb-18 01:42:05

The other link was for 'Wonderful,' hopefully this one will be Dame Hilda & Co.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=get7UPCe3I8&t=623

Eloethan I'm so sorry I misspelt your name!

Etheltbags, I'm a 'Hokey Cokey' fan as well! And 'Roll Out the Barrel!'

wendek Tue 06-Feb-18 08:12:43

The lords my shepherd, I have never been able to get through a funeral service yet without the tears, and I know today will be another occasion as we lay my aunt to rest.

soldiersailor Tue 06-Feb-18 10:34:10

Hot Chocolate's 'It started with a kiss'. And at 1503 on 31/12/1979, oh yes, it certainly did!!!

chrissie13 Tue 06-Feb-18 11:51:35

Absolutely loads including several already mentioned, I'll add
I'd Rather go Blind - Chicken Shack
Parisienne Walkways - Gary Moore/Thin Lizzy
Amoureuse - Kiki Dee
First Cut is the Deepest - Rod Stewart
As Tears Go By - Marianne Faithful
When I Was Your Man - Bruno Mars

grannyinmypocket Tue 06-Feb-18 12:45:13

Oh yes chrissie13, Parisienne Walkways, is so beautiful,

giulia Tue 06-Feb-18 12:58:50

Mary59nanasmile

Scribbles Tue 06-Feb-18 16:41:11

How could it be just one song? So many mentioned here will have me sniffling but I'd also include Rod Stewart's You're in my Heart, Van Morrison's Have I Told You Lately that I Love You? and Kiri Te Kanewa Now is the Hour (Maori Farewell) which my lovely Dad used to sing around the house. We had it played at his funeral and it reduces me to a blubbing jelly every time.

Wally Tue 06-Feb-18 18:48:26

I like all types of music if played well but above all I love the beautiful music of Mozart.

lilypollen Tue 06-Feb-18 18:56:30

Careless Whisper, George Michael was just released when my 2 week old son was admitted to Special Care. Very emotional time. Strapping 6 footer now and father of two.

luzdoh Wed 07-Feb-18 11:01:18

Paddyann- I can't even go to Madam Butterfly anymore! From the first chord I start to cry and by the end I'm sobbing and making a noise and my face is swollen.... Fortunately I can go to Tosca and La Bohme but I do not like Turandot!
I would have to say in this vein that Tosca singing "Vissi d'arte" is very moving. Also Verdi, the end of Rigolletto, final quartet, beginning "Bella figlia del'amore" is awfully painful as Gilda's sobs rise and fall through the lascivious and totally carnal aims of the Count's love song.

BBbevan Wed 07-Feb-18 18:19:44

"I dreamed a dream in days gone by" from Les Miserable

mcem Wed 07-Feb-18 18:41:16

Am really surprised to find that The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is so well- loved.
I first heard it when newly- married and still in love! It featured in the Eastwood film Play Misty for Me.
We saw it with a couple who were close friends ands also newly married.
Time passed, we lost touch apart from Christmas cards. We divorced, they divorced. Many years later she and my ex met up in the pub/restaurant run by my daughter and near her home.
They've been married now for ten years. She healed rifts and tensions and we're good friends even sharing our grandchildren.
Romantic or what???

MissAdventure Wed 07-Feb-18 18:44:56

Ahh, that's lovely! smile I've had to avoid this thread because it made me so emotional, but that's a great story.

weenie Wed 07-Feb-18 20:14:37

The Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston

baubles Wed 07-Feb-18 22:16:32

So many pieces of music which I love have been mentioned already including Famous Blue Raincoat and others by Leonard Cohen, also nice to see Grace get a mention.

Many of Frank Sinatra’s songs hold memories for me but especially Autumn Leaves.

Someone else is a fan of Luke Kelly and this one is poignant, a much loved uncle always comes to mind when I hear it.

youtu.be/YTBC7ckTWpo

gillyjp Fri 09-Feb-18 10:39:17

The Story of my life by Neil Diamond.
The Living Years by Mike & the Mechanics.
A Different Corner by George Michael.
Angel by Sarah McLachlan
Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana Pietro Mascagni