Gransnet forums

Chat

How do you keep your screens clean ?

(42 Posts)
NanKate Thu 15-Feb-18 09:22:24

Have you noticed, especially in sunlight, how filthy IPad screens get ? My grandsons regularly sneeze over the screens of both my IPads and I use little sachets of cloth meant to clean your glasses to clean mine down. They never seem to be 100% clean even after that. I also have to turn the IPad off as rubbing the screen can mess up all my apps etc.

On the subject of cleanliness take a look at your remote controls, mine would not pass muster ?

MawBroon Thu 15-Feb-18 09:23:53

Eek! ???

harrigran Thu 15-Feb-18 09:35:47

I clean my screens with wipes for glasses. The remote controls get cleaned with antiseptic wipes, takes some time as we appear to have nine hmm

ninathenana Thu 15-Feb-18 10:10:11

Same here harri
9 ??? shock

Greyduster Thu 15-Feb-18 10:13:21

Same here! I’ve just looked at mine blush.

ninathenana Thu 15-Feb-18 10:14:30

grin have just done a mental count up.
We have 8.

hildajenniJ Thu 15-Feb-18 11:54:57

My screens get wiped with a damp micro fibre cloth that I pinched inadvertently forgot to take back when I was working! It's the most wonderful cloth ever, you can boil wash it! I use it to clean my glasses too, it's much better than the wipes.

mollie Thu 15-Feb-18 12:13:27

I’ve got a computer screen cloth but it only stays clean for a few minutes, perhaps I need finger cloths!

chelseababy Thu 15-Feb-18 13:14:54

Wrap remotes in cling film and replace every now and again.

Welshwife Thu 15-Feb-18 13:20:33

I use Dettol wipes for screens and keypads - only because I always have those. They are also good for the glass of the wood burner.

Willow500 Thu 15-Feb-18 13:37:29

Glass cleaner works on my screens but they need doing on a daily basis really. Keyboards are a real pain - full of crumbs, keys dirty and surely lots of bacteria shock

OldMeg Thu 15-Feb-18 13:45:43

I’m hoping they are a boost to my immune system, especially after the GC have used them ?

shysal Thu 15-Feb-18 14:20:38

Lidl spectacle wipes. Cheap as chips!

NotAGran55 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:19:03

I use an E Cloth for the tablets and a wonderful green slimy gel from Amazon for cleaning the keyboards .
It's great fun to use ! You slap it onto the keys and it 'melts' down into the gaps and collects all the grot .

mimiro Thu 15-Feb-18 16:54:35

computer makers and geek friends>
mix half rubbing alcohol half filtered water
dampen a soft cloth,do not use paper or synthetics(microscratching which builds up over time and gives you a nice frosted look)
old 100% cotton tshirts work best.i cut one up and use as needed.rewipe with clean dry one .

Maimeo Fri 16-Feb-18 10:45:21

I work in a doctors surgery - we’re valiantly battling the flu germs at the moment. Our phones, keyboards and particularly the credit card machine gets wiped three or four times a day with antiseptic wipes. And once more for luck after a careless sneezy patient handles it with a dirty tissue in his hand too!

floorflock Fri 16-Feb-18 11:04:19

Maimeo, you have made my day. I always worry about germs on the machines in my doctors surgery and wonder how often they are wiped. Another place germs accumulate out of the home is the screens and keypads in supermarkets....
At home we either use white board screen cleaner or glasses cleaner.

tigger Fri 16-Feb-18 11:07:03

White vinegar brings them up lovely and also sterilises them.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 16-Feb-18 11:08:36

I do the same as Harri also those microfibre cloths are quite good.

Kim19 Fri 16-Feb-18 11:14:57

My screen seems just as murky five minutes after thorough clean. Am I being mocked?!

GrannyParker Fri 16-Feb-18 11:20:29

I find the aerosol spray for cleaning glasses that Specsavers sell works a treat on my iPad.

grandMattie Fri 16-Feb-18 11:28:48

Because of all that, I tend to use pointers obsessively. You can get them on e-bay for pence. I use the spec cleaner cloths, microfibre cloths, or whatever I have to hand...

sarahellenwhitney Fri 16-Feb-18 11:55:52

If you have a local Wilko, or go to their website, they have a pack that is a complete DIY for tablets, pc, phone tv.I imagine you could buy them separately.

Coco51 Fri 16-Feb-18 12:06:33

Oh NanKate, your post reminds me of an ageing aunt’s old fashioned telephone receiver: inside the mouthpiece there was bacon and various other delicacies - she did rather spray it than say it!

radicalnan Fri 16-Feb-18 12:10:18

I remember in the olden days when firms employed people to come every week and disinfect the phones.........

I just use a wet wipe on mine........anti bacterial.