Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrational angst?

(37 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 19:33:45

My grandson has lost his dressing gown belt, and stupidly, I feel really upset about it! confused
He always takes the belt off, and it irks me, because I like things, well, organised, and I can't bear the belt to be elsewhere
Now, despite my warnings, my worst fear has happened, and we can't find the belt
I feel quite tearful about it, as ridiculous as it sounds
Have I finally gone off my rocker?!

Jalima1108 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:53:44

MissA grin

Jane10 Sun 18-Feb-18 18:44:55

grin

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 16:34:02

I have a couple of 'strangling weapons' of my own (bare hands) if it goes missing again!

Oopsadaisy12 Sun 18-Feb-18 16:31:07

Crikey, MisAdventure is that a new football move? Strangling the opponent?

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 16:25:27

It's been found!!
It had been put into a bag which usually contains football kit, as he had been using it as a "strangling weapon" grin

Nelliemoser Sun 18-Feb-18 07:52:16

MissAdventure What Morethan2 has said.

It is not the end of the world! I am sure you could find a suitable belt in a charity shop. Also where could he have lost a dressing gown belt outside??
I think you need to get this into perspective.
I know what it is like to get things out of perspective. It wastes a lot of emotional energy and wears you out. Take care.

Jane10 Sun 18-Feb-18 07:39:35

Ooh scary!
I bet that the moment you make some sort of replacement belt the original one will turn up!
Life!!

MissAdventure Sun 18-Feb-18 00:05:48

Oh thank you. That could be just the stuff. smile
On a more cheery note, I nearly choked to death earlier, and managed to rasp to grandson to bang my back hard, and he did, without farting around, and up came the sherbet lemon! I thought I was a goner!

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Feb-18 23:22:19

Actually, it is sometimes the small things MissA, that can knock us off balance, it seems irrational but it happens.

On a practical note, perhaps a length of this could work. I may look for some myself, it would be better than ribbon as it won't slip.
www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/cotton-twill-tape

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Feb-18 23:17:56

shock who - me?
Never!

Actually, I lost the belt to my summer dressing gown ages ago and bought a long piece of ribbon to use instead, but it is very annoying and slippery.
Perhaps there is a hidey hole where these things go to congregate.

Eglantine21 Sat 17-Feb-18 23:11:23

Oh I was waiting for Jalima to come on here and suggest a onesie grin

Attempt at humour could go badly wrong..........

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:50:58

"Dear St Anthony, full of grace
Lead me to its hiding place"

and he often does smile

Luckygirl Sat 17-Feb-18 22:48:40

String - then a glass of gin and chill, man - just chill. smile

mrsmopp Sat 17-Feb-18 22:20:22

Look for the blinking thing! It's in the house somwhere.
Unless he wore it to school. Make a game of it. First person to find the belt gets a 50p reward

merlotgran Sat 17-Feb-18 22:13:58

Don't worry With a bit of luck it will turn up in one piece. DS used to tie his Action Man to the bannisters with his dressing gown belt and then rescue 'Akshie' by trying to cut through it with a plastic picnic knife.

It ended up covered in knots and wouldn't go through the keepers so I threw it away.

annsixty Sat 17-Feb-18 22:13:38

MissAdventure you and your GS have gone through an horrendous time, cut youself and him a bit of slack.
Times will eventually get easier , don't sweat the small things although I am the last one to give such advice.
Take care of yourself and him, it is very early days.

farview Sat 17-Feb-18 22:02:45

Doesn't sound like you!! Probably a bad day!?may help..does me sometimes x

BlueBelle Sat 17-Feb-18 21:24:29

It must be quite easy to do because I lost mine I ended up just tying the inside bits not the same but I can’t be axxxx to worry about it Take a deep breathe it is funny how it can be the major things you get through and the minor ones beat you It ll all come out in the wash and by the time you ve bought or made a new one you ll find the old one

harrigran Sat 17-Feb-18 20:53:53

You used to be able to buy silky dressing gown cords with tassels. A store with haberdashery department will probably have one or just google replacement belt.

kittylester Sat 17-Feb-18 20:28:58

What morethan said. Dont beat yourself, or him, up!

Elegran Sat 17-Feb-18 20:25:55

Sew a patch of Velcro onto the front of the dressing-gown and show him how it magically holds it round him without having to tie a belt The novelty may persuade him to fasten the damn thing, then you won't feel so bad about the missing If you are still angsty , tell yourself it could have been worse - the belt could still be there and the rest of the d.gown lost..

kathsue Sat 17-Feb-18 20:18:39

I agree with morethan2. I've coped with bereavements, a house move, blocked drains and all sorts of other difficult things but sometimes the smallest problem will have me in floods of tears. you haven't gone off your rocker, MissAdventure, you're only human. Look after yourself, you can't make everything perfect, and let your grandson find himself another belt.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:16:22

Your husband lost his too, Hilda? Well, I never! sad

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:13:36

Another old fashioned word comes to mind. Lacksadaisical. Sure that isn't how you spell it, but I know what I mean. The flibbertyjibbet!

hildajenniJ Sat 17-Feb-18 20:11:55

Menopaws beat me to it, I was going to say crochet a new belt. I have done this for DH when he lost his!!!