Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrational angst?

(36 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 19:33:45

My grandson has lost his dressing gown belt, and stupidly, I feel really upset about it! confused
He always takes the belt off, and it irks me, because I like things, well, organised, and I can't bear the belt to be elsewhere
Now, despite my warnings, my worst fear has happened, and we can't find the belt
I feel quite tearful about it, as ridiculous as it sounds
Have I finally gone off my rocker?!

tanith Sat 17-Feb-18 19:38:47

Really? its not worth stressing over

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 19:40:27

Logic tells me Its not, but yes, maybe I have gone off my whatsit.

OldMeg Sat 17-Feb-18 19:56:59

Take a deep breath and repeat after me ‘it’s only a b****y dressing gown belt’.

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 19:58:57

shock yes, but its rendered the dressing gown useless now!
Who can wear their dressing gown gaping open? (Grandson, that's who!)

Menopaws Sat 17-Feb-18 20:00:55

Knit a new belt then you have a story... remember when you lost your belt... then he will treasure it. Perhaps in his fave colours, add a few bits of different wool to make it unique. A fun thing out of an annoying thing.

Menopaws Sat 17-Feb-18 20:01:49

Don't have to knit as I can't knit but made out of special piece of material perhaps, just a thought

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:02:05

Now there is an idea. I think I can knit a belt. Maybe I should force him to knit one? grin

Menopaws Sat 17-Feb-18 20:03:24

Do it together, lovely

morethan2 Sat 17-Feb-18 20:07:42

I get where your coming from but I doubt this about a dressing gown belt MissAdventure if you’ve been having a hard time and it’s often the smallest thing that breaks the camels back so to speak. Any belt will do until this one turns up, a scarf, a pin or tie. brew cupcake or wine and flowers from me to you. Don’t be hard on yourself

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:09:32

Thank you morethan. You're probably right. I'm usually fairly laid back..

hildajenniJ Sat 17-Feb-18 20:11:55

Menopaws beat me to it, I was going to say crochet a new belt. I have done this for DH when he lost his!!!

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:13:36

Another old fashioned word comes to mind. Lacksadaisical. Sure that isn't how you spell it, but I know what I mean. The flibbertyjibbet!

MissAdventure Sat 17-Feb-18 20:16:22

Your husband lost his too, Hilda? Well, I never! sad

kathsue Sat 17-Feb-18 20:18:39

I agree with morethan2. I've coped with bereavements, a house move, blocked drains and all sorts of other difficult things but sometimes the smallest problem will have me in floods of tears. you haven't gone off your rocker, MissAdventure, you're only human. Look after yourself, you can't make everything perfect, and let your grandson find himself another belt.

Elegran Sat 17-Feb-18 20:25:55

Sew a patch of Velcro onto the front of the dressing-gown and show him how it magically holds it round him without having to tie a belt The novelty may persuade him to fasten the damn thing, then you won't feel so bad about the missing If you are still angsty , tell yourself it could have been worse - the belt could still be there and the rest of the d.gown lost..

kittylester Sat 17-Feb-18 20:28:58

What morethan said. Dont beat yourself, or him, up!

harrigran Sat 17-Feb-18 20:53:53

You used to be able to buy silky dressing gown cords with tassels. A store with haberdashery department will probably have one or just google replacement belt.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Feb-18 21:24:29

It must be quite easy to do because I lost mine I ended up just tying the inside bits not the same but I can’t be axxxx to worry about it Take a deep breathe it is funny how it can be the major things you get through and the minor ones beat you It ll all come out in the wash and by the time you ve bought or made a new one you ll find the old one

farview Sat 17-Feb-18 22:02:45

Doesn't sound like you!! Probably a bad day!?may help..does me sometimes x

annsixty Sat 17-Feb-18 22:13:38

MissAdventure you and your GS have gone through an horrendous time, cut youself and him a bit of slack.
Times will eventually get easier , don't sweat the small things although I am the last one to give such advice.
Take care of yourself and him, it is very early days.

merlotgran Sat 17-Feb-18 22:13:58

Don't worry With a bit of luck it will turn up in one piece. DS used to tie his Action Man to the bannisters with his dressing gown belt and then rescue 'Akshie' by trying to cut through it with a plastic picnic knife.

It ended up covered in knots and wouldn't go through the keepers so I threw it away.

mrsmopp Sat 17-Feb-18 22:20:22

Look for the blinking thing! It's in the house somwhere.
Unless he wore it to school. Make a game of it. First person to find the belt gets a 50p reward

Luckygirl Sat 17-Feb-18 22:48:40

String - then a glass of gin and chill, man - just chill. smile

Jalima1108 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:50:58

"Dear St Anthony, full of grace
Lead me to its hiding place"

and he often does smile