Gransnet forums

Chat

Irritating grandchildren

(71 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 21-Feb-18 18:44:29

Yes, we love them and think they’re amazingly clever and beautiful but what has you gritting your teeth?
My youngest granddaughter is very tall but she acts like a toddler. She rolls around with feet in the air and speaks in a high baby voice, mispronouncing half the words she could say perfectly five years ago.
I know they grow out of these silly phases but it’s taking so long!

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:48:52

Enjoy it watermeadow, it’s good that they are happy, mine are at the stage where they are studying, seemingly endlessly, for exams and they look so worried all the time. Growing up isn’t as carefree as it was when we were young.

lemongrove Wed 21-Feb-18 18:51:16

Was it truly ever carefree?

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 21-Feb-18 18:55:01

When I was under 14 it was, then reality kicked in, I was born after the war, so it was a sunny childhood.
Seems that children are stressed out at school as soon as they start with constant testing.
Sometimes I would like to lay on the floor and kick my legs around, although DH would probably call the paramedics!

lemongrove Wed 21-Feb-18 18:57:32

That’s the idea Oopsa let it all out! ?

NotTooOld Wed 21-Feb-18 18:59:31

Watermeadow - I myself do quite a lot of teeth gritting!

Crafting Wed 21-Feb-18 20:30:55

I love it when my teenage GD has some fun playing like she did when she was younger. Plenty of time to be a grown up. I love being part of her games and am so pleased she still likes doing the same things we did years ago. Playing being rabbits or puppy's with silly voices. It means she trusts us not to laugh at her. She's a very good student and doing really well at school. I think it's nice for her to be a child again. Too much pressure to grow up quickly these days.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 20:36:54

I find boys very 'boisterous' I suppose, is the word.
We play cards, and I spend half the time watching him punching the cushions, flinging himself around like a maniac, etc.

Eglantine21 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:42:43

How old is he, Misadventure? Have you got to the bit where they accidentally wrench the doors off the kitchen cupboards or throw the garage door off its runners when they open it? Ah, the sudden muscles of teenage boys?

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 20:48:25

He's ten, Eglantine. It seems ten year old boys are very different from ten year old girls.

Eglantine21 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:54:55

And they just get bigger and hungrier!

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 20:58:39

I expect its all the energy they use up, doing kung fu moves, jumping, running, and generally getting on my wick! grin

Luckygirl Wed 21-Feb-18 21:44:33

Yes - I know what you mean - one of my little ones has started talking in a baby voice since starting school. You have to grit your teeth and tell yourself it is a passing phase - she does not do it at school. This too will pass. We make a point of ignoring it. Keep on smileing!

MawBroon Wed 21-Feb-18 22:02:00

Love them to bits!
The boys are at the stage of those schoolboy jokes and 3 year-old DGD tries so hard to keep up with them !

Greyduster Wed 21-Feb-18 22:04:01

Ours is just eleven and most of the time he is absolutely fine and sensible - then he will have moments of pure toddler silliness that make you want to tear your hair out! If I didn’t know he isn’t alone in this behaviour I would worry about it, but I remember my son having his moments at the same age!

nigglynellie Wed 21-Feb-18 22:16:17

My 10 year old grandson is a dear little boy, but he is slightly quaint little soul, we get the baby voice on occasions, Johnny head in air?!! but he loves Peter Rabbit, Wind in the Willows, Water rats Picnic etc and loves being read to. He is immensely affectionate, small for his age and very different to his two sisters. I just love him to bits, and our baby won't stay a baby for ever so I relish every moment of him!

lemongrove Wed 21-Feb-18 22:24:17

Yes, niggly know what you mean, and Grandma’s house won’t always be such a draw when they are older.
Boys are very energetic, my younger DGS has things that come apart in his hands (my vases mostly) and doors are flung open with gusto, bash!
DGD enjoys wiping chocolatey hands on towels before washing.grin

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:00:01

How old is she watermeadow? If she's 25+ it could be irritating I suppose.

I can remember rolling around on friend's double bed, both of us aged about 14, and giggling and giggling at nothing in particular, singing daft songs etc.

How old were the Goons when they sang the Ying Tong Song?

Jalima1108 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:01:55

He's ten, Eglantine. It seems ten year old boys are very different from ten year old girls.
We're expecting soon-to-be ten DGS to arrive soon - batten down the hatches!

Whereas soon-to-be ten DGD sits writing stories, puppet plays which she performs for us etc

annodomini Wed 21-Feb-18 23:14:36

My 10-year-old GS is a great improvement on his earlier self. He can hold a sensible conversation, has a great vocabulary but can't spell! He has always been adept at getting his older brother into trouble which he himself has created! However, he's much less aggressive than he once was and is turning out to be a promising rugby player - he certainly has the physique. He likes a cuddle and has a hug like a grizzly bear.

lemongrove Wed 21-Feb-18 23:41:11

Eldest DGS is now my height, and patted me on the head ( with great delight) the other day.?

gmelon Wed 21-Feb-18 23:46:50

My nine year old Grandson has a habit of saying "Huh?"
as if he hasn't heard what has been said.
It drives me nuts.
He kind of draws it out into a longer Huh than it should be.

I quickly realised that if I stay quiet and don't repeat myself he then answers me because he did actually hear.

What with that and him repeating his toddler sister's name over and over and over when he plays with her it's never a dull quiet,peaceful moment.

I love every minute of it though because I was apart from them all their lives until last year.

Grandma2213 Thu 22-Feb-18 01:34:32

My DGS aged 11 (today) has already turned into Harry Enfield's Kevin! Grunts, shrugs, and OMG, or worse are the order of the day! Attitude rules! He hates one sister and loves the other but insists on flinging her around till she is hurt. Both sisters are younger. I do wish he would get off his phone though because he is actually quite lovely when it is out of action. He even gives me hugs instead of shrugs!

harrigran Thu 22-Feb-18 09:16:17

I have found that they seem to become teenagers at about 9 or 10 now and do a lot of flouncing out of rooms. GDs do not do it with me, they are delightful when staying at our house.

NanaandGrampy Thu 22-Feb-18 09:26:33

There’s only one thing that drives me nuts with our 4 - it’s when they use what I would describe as ‘baby voices’ - usually to their parents when they want something.

You know it’s that twee, half whining, 2 octave higher thing !! Bit like baby birds squeaking at their parents to get fed lol

If they forget and do it to me I stop them in their tracks!

I totally agree with everyone who has mentioned boys silliness !! They sometimes seem like small aliens !