Gransnet forums

Chat

Why don’t people queue in bus stop anymore?

(92 Posts)
Moomum Wed 21-Feb-18 18:57:38

Not sure whether it’s just in London or across the UK, people just don’t queue in bus stop anymore. The worst offenders are school children. Try catching a bus home around 3’ish closed to any schools is impossible. Where are the manners? But who is supposed to teach them or is it just wishful thinking?

BlueBelle Wed 21-Feb-18 19:09:12

Still queue round here very orderly in fact, maybe it’s a city thing, and everybody just everybody thanks the driver as they get off, poor thing must hear it a million times a day

Elegran Wed 21-Feb-18 19:26:07

They queue here too, and thank the driver as they get off. It must just be in London that it is every (wo)man for himself.

tanith Wed 21-Feb-18 19:35:20

Haven't seen an orderly queue for years here in London, if you can't beat em join em is my motto nowadays ??

hildajenniJ Wed 21-Feb-18 19:36:27

We queue very politely here too, even the school children. Everyone thanks the driver as they alight too. As others have said, it must be a city thing.

GrandmaMoira Wed 21-Feb-18 19:39:13

It's not children who don't queue, its adults. I think it's a London thing and the only way to get on a bus is to join in the free for all.

SueDonim Wed 21-Feb-18 20:19:40

People still queue here.

Grannyben Wed 21-Feb-18 20:19:44

If you think the worst offenders are school children, you haven't met my mother. Oh, the shame I feel as she walks up, straight to the front of the queue, and on the bus she goes. I bring up the rear, apologising to everyone as I go.

Beau Wed 21-Feb-18 20:26:51

The uncomfortable truth is that the polite and orderly queue is a British phenomenon and hardly anyone in
London is now British. I worked in London for the last 25 years and I have watched it happen.

MissAdventure Wed 21-Feb-18 20:31:50

We queue here, although you do sometimes get the sneaky sods who try and hover around on the sides of the queue and slot themselves in.

suzied Wed 21-Feb-18 20:55:03

To summarise a previously poster- Only the Brits know how to queue and busses are full of impolite foreigners (sigh)
In my experience in London outside of the city and west end, most busses are full of the elderly and under 18s who get free travel. In the centre busses are full of tourists, the locals know its much quicker to take the tube, walk or cycle. Queuing isn’t really necessary as you know you’ll always get on a bus as they’re so frequent.

Jane10 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:57:02

Sometimes crowds of young tourists just ignore us patient souls queueing politely. I give them 'the face' and they usually get the message.
I've seen idiot tourists trying to pay bus fares in dollars and being amazed they aren't accepted. Some tour groups of 30-40 people crowd on the buses and local people on their way to work are left standing at the bus stop as the bus is full. Oh no. I'm off on one! Bring in the tourist tax ASAP!

Grannyknot Wed 21-Feb-18 20:59:06

There are a lot of Korean people in the area where I live (in London), and I have yet to come across a more polite, deferential group when I encounter them on the buses.

grannyticktock Wed 21-Feb-18 21:58:49

In our village, we just stand around in a loose group at the bus stop, but everyone knows the order they arrived and gets on in the correct sequence, although it's quite common for someone to urge someone old or disabled on first. It's all terribly courteous. There's always room on the bus, so there's nothing to get stressed about.

GadaboutGran Thu 22-Feb-18 10:22:47

Isn’t the queueing problem in London more about the fact that a lot of different buses stop at the same stop. You need several queues and you don’t know who is waiting for which bus. The main problem is for people in wheelchairs and with buggies fighting for one or two spaces.

milliespain Thu 22-Feb-18 10:29:07

Spanish don't know what queueing is!! Love coming to the UK to daughter in Leicester and son in Bristol. As you say nearly everyone is polite and everyone thanks the bus driver, so nice.

mabon1 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:35:12

I live in a semi rural locatioon, eveyone sits on the seats in the shelter and chat until the bus arrives, very civilised.

GrandmaMoira Thu 22-Feb-18 10:38:46

SuzieD obviously lives in a different part of London than I do. We don't have tubes and not many people walk. The buses are crowded and not that frequent and I only see a lot of elderly when I'm away from home. As Gadabout said, the buggy wars cause a problem. I have to use buses but don't like them.

henetha Thu 22-Feb-18 10:40:48

We still queue around here. Or sit in the little bus shelter and then get on the bus in order. Just occasionally I get tempted to take all my clothes off and shout "The Aliens are coming" Just to stir things up a bit.

MissAdventure Thu 22-Feb-18 10:41:30

grin

inishowen Thu 22-Feb-18 10:43:08

My daughter used to say it was the oldies who were a menace at bus stops. She and her friends would get on the bus in order but an oldie would knock them sideways to get on first!

MissAdventure Thu 22-Feb-18 10:49:24

A friends partner who drives a bus informs us that the elderly are referred to as 'Twirlies'
They are always trying to get on the bus before 9, when their bus pass is valid, and saying "Oh, am I too early?"

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 22-Feb-18 10:50:03

The worst I've ever encountered was in the algarve. Stood at bus stop for nearly an hour with about 5 other people. Bus eventually turns up and people materialised from nowhere & started to get on!! My oh and I eventually got on, no seats together and I ended up sat next to a lady carrying a pig. My oh had a gentle and 2 chickens for company. The bus was full. Still don't know where they came from confused

glammanana Thu 22-Feb-18 10:51:10

We queue quite orderly here but you can still come across the usual "sidewinder" who tries to shuffle in at the front if I am near by the elbows will come out and a polite shove will suffice.
Don't start me on mums with oversized prams who think they have the right of passage to the front of the queue.

Kim19 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:54:22

I don't do queues either. Prompted by the experience of my bus leaving without me as I couldn't get through the crowd to make my presence known. If I have the odd adverse comment I immediately usher the 'offended' to board in front of me. Don't care how many are ahead of me as long as I get on.