Gransnet forums

Chat

Which room first?

(56 Posts)
kittylester Fri 23-Feb-18 07:45:22

Prompted by the thread about the current state of your kitchen, which room do you make for first when you get home? Which room do you take visitors to?

In our house, it's the kitchen as it is south facing and always warm and I love being in there. Plus the kettle (and the wine) is in there!

Legs55 Sat 24-Feb-18 20:22:23

Usually loo first, my wet room is the first room I come to after coming through the front door, collect shopping into the kitchen (too small to swing a cat), unload anything for fridge/freezer, kettle on.

Through to lounge/diner, switch on tv, switch on laptop, coat off, back to kitchen & make a cafe, back to sit at dinning table, check emails. If I've got visitors they go straight through to the lounge, choice of comfy sofa or hard chair

lesley4357 Sun 25-Feb-18 10:48:33

Anyone tell me the difference between an 'orangery' and a conservatory? Or is it just boasting?

ReadyMeals Sun 25-Feb-18 12:25:05

I think orangeries have to be capable of growing orange trees. So they probably have to be reasonably tall and temperature controlled. The old fashioned normal conservatory was just single-pane glass and no heating (not much use in mid winter) Nowadays I expect most modern conservatories could be orangeries if they were the right size

Jalima1108 Sun 25-Feb-18 12:27:57

I'd like to buy orange and lemon trees smile
However, I'm always worried about having plants on the floor because watering, even with 'saucers' could spill over and damage the wooden floor and underfloor heating.

lilypollen Tue 27-Feb-18 22:21:52

Kitchen. After shopping for a cup of tea. If I'm home later DH offers me a glass of wine!