Gransnet forums

Chat

Some help others, some don't !

(35 Posts)
Dontaskme Thu 01-Mar-18 07:48:31

We know a lady who lives about a mile away who has a cat. Badgered my DS to go and make sure everything was ok. He walked as can't get cars out, took supplies, cleared snow from the back door to let the cat out and in then walked home. On the walk home he slipped coming down some steps and has bashed his head and back leaving him bruised and in pain. He said the wind was knocked out of him and he stayed on the ground for a short while, and although people saw him slip no-one came to help or ask if he was ok, just walked round him. No good deed goes unpunished! Be careful out there people, its icy.

Dontaskme Thu 01-Mar-18 12:08:02

Thank you everyone for the lovely support for my DS - he'll be so embarrassed when I tell him but will feel happy too and it has made me feel better as well - I was shaken when he told me! He's ok - he got bashed over the head with a bottle by a drunkard a few years ago and had a fractured skull, now bangs to the head are always a worry so he gingerly walked down to the GP this morning just to get checked. He's fine. The bottle incident wasn't where we live btw -he'd gone to Brighton for the day, nowhere near us. We're in a large town in Kent which is supposed to be a "nice" area, or at least it was few years ago anyway! The more people I meet/stories I hear the more I like my dogs. Take care people and thank you again

Poppsbaggie Thu 01-Mar-18 12:42:01

I once took a tumble outside a NT property. There was only one couple nearby and they came rushing over to check I was ok. My daughter who had gone on ahead didn't see the incident and when she looked around, she thought I had sat down for a rest!

chickenlegs Thu 01-Mar-18 13:00:43

My Mum and Dad used to say that something bad happens if you do someone a favour. I'm sure it's not always true, but have experienced it sometimes. I picked someone up from hospital the other day and drove very carefully on the way home.

henbane Thu 01-Mar-18 14:12:07

I fell on Wednesday and passers by immediately stopped to help my partner get me back on my feet.

But years ago when I was pregnant, I fainted in a supermarket queue and people just pushed my trolley aside so they could get round to get in front of me.

So - people in country towns not necessarily more caring than in London!

Bathsheba Thu 01-Mar-18 14:18:34

Heavens that's awful Dontaskme. And here's me thinking that the terrible weather brings out the best in people, and everyone pulls together. Clearly not everyone then angry

grannyactivist Thu 01-Mar-18 18:24:23

I'm very thankful that I live in a town that has real community spirit and where people are very kindly towards one another in the main. I was very heartened to day to get lots of messages enquiring about the welfare of the homeless people my charity supports.
I'm sorry your son didn't get the help he needed Dontaskme, but glad no resulting harm was done.

OldMeg Thu 01-Mar-18 18:56:39

How horrible some people are. I’m sure all those I know would stop and help. At least I hope so.

meandashy Thu 01-Mar-18 21:13:56

Nothing surprises me anymore.
My father collapsed while trying to board a train after being released from hospital, he had had a haemorrhage. People stepped over him to get on the train!!! ?

durhamjen Thu 01-Mar-18 23:31:02

My brother in law fell over yesterday in the snow, and two people stopped their cars to help him get up.