Gransnet forums

Chat

Yikes! How do you find a bathing suit?

(36 Posts)
NanaNancy Mon 19-Mar-18 22:20:57

I think I need a bathing suit that will cover me from my knees and have long sleeves. Where do I find something "suitable" with some support for all parts. Have looked all over and being that I am tall - I need a long in the body or two piece. Impossible to find!
What can WE wear to the pool?

tanith Mon 19-Mar-18 22:36:06

Try looking at Tankinis, looks like a swimsuit but in two pieces. There is another long discussion with lots of suggestions.

MawBroon Mon 19-Mar-18 23:00:21

Burkini?
It does have its good points, anybody can be “beach body ready” grin

newnanny Tue 20-Mar-18 09:41:54

I need a new swimming costume with a firm control panel on the tummy and proper straps that won't slip down. As I get older I cover up more. I usually wear a wrap over swim suit unless actually in the water. The confidence of youth long gone. I used to like Bon Marche but I'm not keen on any of the swim suits in the summer collection. Since Emanuel gone I am not keen on dresses any more. I wish he would go back and design for them again as he had a knack of covering the wobbly bits and somehow making my body appear smoother.

Tomtom2 Tue 20-Mar-18 09:48:11

Debenhams have excellent 'longer leg' swimsuits-wide straps,but sleeveless i think,but a gym top or something could be worn under it maybe?

GabriellaG Tue 20-Mar-18 09:52:01

How about a burkini? M&S sell them.

GabriellaG Tue 20-Mar-18 09:53:30

David Emmanuel designs are sold on QVC.

grandMattie Tue 20-Mar-18 09:58:31

Maternity bathers?

kazziecookie Tue 20-Mar-18 09:59:23

If you google swimsuits with legs quite a few companies do them.
One company I saw with a nice one was called
Simply Swim

chattykathy Tue 20-Mar-18 10:01:07

Decathlon? Thinking along the lines of a wet suit

hildajenniJ Tue 20-Mar-18 10:04:08

I'm looking for a swim dress for my holidays. There are some online on www.swimwear365.co.uk/womens/swimsuits/swim-dresses/_/N-19Z1z141vjZ1z141vb I think I might order one or two to see what they are like. I've looked in M&S and didn't like anything they had.

Daisydoo2 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:05:34

Just let it all hang out. I lived in Berlin for a couple of years and became so used to the locals stripping off by the inland waterways and parks... and I mean everything came off... I actually relaxed my attitude of 'being British' and joined in, not quite in the pant department but near enough. Enjoy your bod.

Coco51 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:12:17

Lands End used to make swimsuits in regular or long - haven’t looked lately, though.

Theoddbird Tue 20-Mar-18 10:12:52

Oh gosh....Thank you for posting this....might start me swimming again.... grin

Iam64 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:20:50

M and S have regular bashings on here for good reason but - they do swimming costumes for tall women in many sizes.

jacqui67 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:36:29

Matalan do quite a lot of variations and some come in bra sizes as well

jacqui67 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:37:54

Tbh my problem is not the bathing wear its the body inside it, put on 3 stone after various ops and only 5ft does ot make good viewing

Omaoma57 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:18:01

Look for clothes worn by surfers and sailors...they are usually long sleeved and very good at covering all areas. I swim three time s a week and use slazenger boy short swimsuit to get full coverage of back and thick straps so they do not fall down. On holiday i have a swimsuit and a bathing suit....very different needs.

marionk Tue 20-Mar-18 11:18:20

My daughter always wears a pair of swimming shorts over her costume

annodomini Tue 20-Mar-18 11:39:51

Last summer I bought two M&S swimsuits with 'tummy control' which looked quite good after the ten minutes it took to struggle into them. The tummy control was like armour plating! I sabotaged the panel on one of them and managed to find a technique for getting into the other one. I know it's a hassle to try them on in the store, but it could save you annoyance later.

grannyinmypocket Tue 20-Mar-18 11:41:07

Bonmarche, sometimes have bathing costumes with skirts on, they look nice,

grannyinmypocket Tue 20-Mar-18 11:52:58

Oh yes I forgot David Emmanuel docent design for Bonmarche any more,
pity the clothes he designed were good

goldengirl Tue 20-Mar-18 12:02:12

Lands End is my first choice for swimming costumes. They last for ages too and I swim a lot

gillyknits Tue 20-Mar-18 12:45:29

I have a long body,so that anything with non-adjustable straps leaves me walking like Quasimodo! I also find some tankinis are not very long, leaving a large gap for large tummy to stick out.
How about knitting yourself one, with stripes and legs. (Sorry have just been watching Pam Ayers talking about her dad’s knitted costume on YouTube)!??

Daisydoo2 Tue 20-Mar-18 12:49:33

Gillyknits that is so funny. The wool would drag down with the weight of water. Sorry my sick mind can see all sorts of weird images.