Gransnet forums

Chat

Yikes! How do you find a bathing suit?

(37 Posts)
NanaNancy Mon 19-Mar-18 22:20:57

I think I need a bathing suit that will cover me from my knees and have long sleeves. Where do I find something "suitable" with some support for all parts. Have looked all over and being that I am tall - I need a long in the body or two piece. Impossible to find!
What can WE wear to the pool?

NanaNancy Tue 20-Mar-18 20:33:43

So yes, one would think the tankini would be the answer, but when you are long in the body all it does is leave a gap of whale flesh showing in the middle. One pieces are also an issue as I need "leg" coverage but most of those swim dresses are super heavy when wet and not great to actually swim in; and will again by measurement not be long enough to cover the potential camel toe.
And need interior support -- for no one really wants to flash boobies at the shore---
If you are average height or less it is MUCH easier.
It is still a big issue...I continue to look.

stella1949 Tue 20-Mar-18 20:20:56

Go on Ebay and look for swim shorts and rash shirts. Surfers wear them routinely , and they cover from neck to knee with long sleeves.

henbane Tue 20-Mar-18 18:25:37

Another vote for Lands End - if you want a one piece, their "Tugless" ones are very good, not too low cut at the top or high cut at the bottom! And talking of bottoms the coverage is generous - the only ones I've found that don't work their way in between the cheeks. They also do a range of two piece sets. One problem I've found with tankinis is that they look fine worn over the lower piece, as shown in all the pictures, but you can't actually swim like that as they billow up - and when you tuck them in they look far worse than a one piece.

The other problem with Lands End is that they are an American company so the prices have risen as the pound has fallen.

Rosiebee Tue 20-Mar-18 17:37:58

I'm off on my hols today with 4 swimdresses in my case plus several wraps. I swim 3/4 times a week so am always on look out for suitable wear. A couple from Simply Be, I think, one M&S and one Sainsbury's. That short skirt gives me confidence that not toooo much wobbly flesh is on show_ or fuzzy bitsblush. Why though can't M&S make them in the same pretty fabrics other costume are made in? Navy and black are so dull. They did one in pink and white polka dots once and I wore it till it faded away. Still have it in a drawer somewhere.

maddyone Tue 20-Mar-18 16:55:19

Newnanny, I so agree with you about BonMarche, I used to really like the David Emmanuel range, bought quite a lot of it, but I’ve stopped going in there now, it doesn’t appeal anymore. Their jeans are good, but I even preferred the Emmanuel jeans. So I don’t buy anything there at all now.

MissAdventure Tue 20-Mar-18 16:22:26

www.amoena.com/uk-en/pocketed-swimwear/tankini/
Hulahoop. Highly recommend company. My daughter really rated their stuff, and still wore them after her reconstruction.

PamelaJ1 Tue 20-Mar-18 16:18:45

I take ny GS swimming to the local (is 20miles local?) We go to the fun session. All parents and grandparents with their children having a fab time.
I wear my granny swimsuit so nobody takes any notice of me. A bit drapey at the front to cover the moments when I let my breath out! I got it at m&co and I have a long body. Bikinis used to look positively indecent on me, ravishingly so of course?.
I do wish some of the mums (and dads)would wear granny cossies, so many of them are huge and like us to share their abundance.
Why do they wear bikinis to a children’s fun session? I suppose it’s so we can see their body art?.
Iam such a b**

pollyperkins Tue 20-Mar-18 14:55:22

They do exist as I've seen someone at local pool with a cozzie down to knees and elbows !

hulahoop Tue 20-Mar-18 14:37:07

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a tankini which would be OK following mastectomy ?

Carolpaint Tue 20-Mar-18 14:05:25

Go to eBay and type in rashe swimsuit or costume, or surfing ladies swimsuit. One protects you from the sun so it has sleeves, the other is great if you want to be active but do not want bits of you hanging out.

JaneD3 Tue 20-Mar-18 13:50:13

I had a maroon knitted costume in about 1961. Yes they do droop!!

Daisydoo2 Tue 20-Mar-18 12:49:33

Gillyknits that is so funny. The wool would drag down with the weight of water. Sorry my sick mind can see all sorts of weird images.

gillyknits Tue 20-Mar-18 12:45:29

I have a long body,so that anything with non-adjustable straps leaves me walking like Quasimodo! I also find some tankinis are not very long, leaving a large gap for large tummy to stick out.
How about knitting yourself one, with stripes and legs. (Sorry have just been watching Pam Ayers talking about her dad’s knitted costume on YouTube)!??

goldengirl Tue 20-Mar-18 12:02:12

Lands End is my first choice for swimming costumes. They last for ages too and I swim a lot

grannyinmypocket Tue 20-Mar-18 11:52:58

Oh yes I forgot David Emmanuel docent design for Bonmarche any more,
pity the clothes he designed were good

grannyinmypocket Tue 20-Mar-18 11:41:07

Bonmarche, sometimes have bathing costumes with skirts on, they look nice,

annodomini Tue 20-Mar-18 11:39:51

Last summer I bought two M&S swimsuits with 'tummy control' which looked quite good after the ten minutes it took to struggle into them. The tummy control was like armour plating! I sabotaged the panel on one of them and managed to find a technique for getting into the other one. I know it's a hassle to try them on in the store, but it could save you annoyance later.

marionk Tue 20-Mar-18 11:18:20

My daughter always wears a pair of swimming shorts over her costume

Omaoma57 Tue 20-Mar-18 11:18:01

Look for clothes worn by surfers and sailors...they are usually long sleeved and very good at covering all areas. I swim three time s a week and use slazenger boy short swimsuit to get full coverage of back and thick straps so they do not fall down. On holiday i have a swimsuit and a bathing suit....very different needs.

jacqui67 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:37:54

Tbh my problem is not the bathing wear its the body inside it, put on 3 stone after various ops and only 5ft does ot make good viewing

jacqui67 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:36:29

Matalan do quite a lot of variations and some come in bra sizes as well

Iam64 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:20:50

M and S have regular bashings on here for good reason but - they do swimming costumes for tall women in many sizes.

Theoddbird Tue 20-Mar-18 10:12:52

Oh gosh....Thank you for posting this....might start me swimming again.... grin

Coco51 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:12:17

Lands End used to make swimsuits in regular or long - haven’t looked lately, though.

Daisydoo2 Tue 20-Mar-18 10:05:34

Just let it all hang out. I lived in Berlin for a couple of years and became so used to the locals stripping off by the inland waterways and parks... and I mean everything came off... I actually relaxed my attitude of 'being British' and joined in, not quite in the pant department but near enough. Enjoy your bod.