Gransnet forums

Chat

Annoying adverts

(107 Posts)
Tweedle24 Mon 16-Apr-18 12:13:59

Not high on the list of importance but, does anyone else have a particular advert that annoys them?
My current one is the optician who introduces herself as ‘the Boots optician’. Sorry! Of course she is the Boots optician. They are in the Boots optical department, not the local pub!

vampirequeen Wed 18-Apr-18 10:13:07

All the adverts that play on older peoples fear of not paying their own way. The over 50's insurance stress the cost of funerals (which can be done cheaper btw) and then throw in the guilt pitch....you don't want your children to have to find the money. In case that doesn't work they also play on caring, giving nature of grans and granddads.....leave a little bit for the grandchildren.

The sell your house to us adverts....well take out a loan linked to your home......but we'll call it equity release because it sounds nicer. After the new kitchen, car, holidays route they again play on the giving aspect by showing a couple getting their granddaughter onto the housing ladder. What the advert doesn't stress is that interest will be added to the outstanding amount all the time you live after you've taken out the loan. They'll end up owning your house and your family will inherit nothing. In fact if the value of the house doesn't cover the amount outstanding they'll take all your estate. Everything you've worked for and saved will go to the bank.

The parsnips man gives me the creeps. When the neighbour brings around his letter and he's using binoculars in the conservatory. Who is the spying on?

Foxyferret Wed 18-Apr-18 10:20:52

Anything to do with funerals, do we need to be constantly reminded we are going to pop off. There are, in my opinion, too many ads for charities. Don’t get me wrong, I contribute to several, but give to the donkeys, water aid, save a leopard, etc. etc.One day I counted up how much I would have spent and it came to something like £25. These appear especially in the afternoon and because there are so many, they all go over my head.

sluttygran Wed 18-Apr-18 10:25:19

I’m with mumofmadboys. When else but during ad breaks can we go to the loo, put the kettle on, empty the dishwasher etc.?
I do hate the one about hearing aids, tho’ - that REALLY winds me up ‘cos I’m deaf and I can’t hear it properly!

EEJit Wed 18-Apr-18 10:29:52

The Gtech man. I know where I'd like to shove his blasted vacuum cleaner, and his lawn mower.

Owen Wilson is really getting on my wick.

It's not just adverts though. Those 'such a programme sponsored by' get me as well. The TUI one is especially annoying.

AlieOxon Wed 18-Apr-18 10:31:15

All adverts are dreadful, intended to manipulate, and I try not to listen.....but the one I turn off is the man in a tophat on a hippo!

sarahellenwhitney Wed 18-Apr-18 10:38:17

La La La La Gala bingo and the screeching 'what's makes me happy' woman It doesn't make me happy and that is just two of the many that have me 'screeching' p* off.

muppett1 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:40:42

I hate the ones for pads ‘ in case you have a small leak as we are getting older! ‘ They almost imply that it’s ok to leak. Although there is a need for these products It not ok to leak and there is help for many people to help or avoid them.

Nanny41 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:44:47

Too many to name!

anitamp1 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:51:11

Agree with others about some of the over 50s insurance ads. In the garden centre when the two women are returning to husbands with trolleyful of plants, why do the men laugh at their comment that they are going to be busy? Real men would groan. Also the little girl singing 'roll it on the river' just doesnt work. Haribo ads are funny. Love the credit score check ads with Moose the dog. Loathe the car rental ads with the person taking a phone call who then says 'that's nothing, I've just rented a ......' Fools.

Coconut Wed 18-Apr-18 10:51:52

The kitchen advert ... using one of my all time favourite songs, Chicago singing “If you leave me now” .... sacrilege !!

lindiann Wed 18-Apr-18 11:01:16

If they put that bloody TUI advert on again with that irritating woman I am going to put my foot thru the TV GRRR!!!

lindiann Wed 18-Apr-18 11:05:40

Through hmm

sarahellenwhitney Wed 18-Apr-18 11:12:46

EEJit Yes, definitely GTEC
I love the 'clever dog' but the guy winds me up especially in his ad for the hedge trimmer . Isn't it 'when the going gets TOUGH and ' NOT when the going gets 'TOUGHER.'
Someone please advise .

mischief Wed 18-Apr-18 11:15:19

I more or less hate them all so I don't watch ITV/4 unless there is a program I really enjoy then I record it and avoid the ads.

Louise5 Wed 18-Apr-18 11:25:16

I hate the adverts and some of them I have no idea what they are advertising! My husband also does not understand some of the adverts. Is it our age?

I do as someone else mentioned to fast forward the recorded programmes or watch BBC.

Oldwoman70 Wed 18-Apr-18 11:33:25

The Doritos advert, the TUI advert, the funeral plan ad with two women in the garden centre discussing the funeral of a friend and how they couldn't afford such a send off! I now rarely watch "live" TV in order to avoid the ads.

Is it my imagination or are the ad breaks getting longer? The other night I was watching a programme and decided to watch the rest in bed. During the ad break I was able to lock up, get undressed, brush my teeth and into bed before the programme restarted!

pamdixon Wed 18-Apr-18 11:34:06

I hate the sofology one too - and Purple bricks and if I see any more of those ones for people with sensitive teeth, or other dental problems I'm going to have to trash my television........................

Musicelf Wed 18-Apr-18 11:37:57

We hate every ad with animated objects. Actually we hate all adverts and like many, we record programmes or watch on catch-up.

Now and again you get a clever ad, but these are few and far between.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 18-Apr-18 11:55:34

Rotating tooth brush ad. 'leaves my teeth smooth??? and sparkling clean'
My dentist said the add should be banned.

endre123 Wed 18-Apr-18 11:56:12

The Middletons advert where a family are having a great time amongst disability equipment, granny goes missing and at the end of the day has bought everything to change her life! I guessed the bill would be around £25K!

loopyloo Wed 18-Apr-18 12:00:25

The screaming little girl in the AS ad. The head on wheels PPI ad. The Opera singer. It goes on and on. I watch too much tv.

Caledonai14 Wed 18-Apr-18 12:00:27

The Purple Bricks wedding dad and the adults speaking like children in the Haribo ad. They really annoy me, but I suppose they have the effect of making you remember the product name and that might be the point.

newnanny Wed 18-Apr-18 12:16:58

I also nip out to make a drink, go to the loo or little odd jobs like folding up washing. If I have taped the programme which I quite often do I fast forward through the ads.

missdeke Wed 18-Apr-18 12:38:14

The bathroom that keeps you sane and the kitchen that's part of the family, WOE?

oldandbold Wed 18-Apr-18 12:50:02

I like the flash ad with the big white dog. Very strange and dodgy to me is the ad with the one for a chewing gum when the parents burst into their daughters bedroom where their daughter is ‘entertaining ‘ her undressed boyfriend. The boyfriend pops a chewing gum into his mouth as the door opens, whereupon the fathers angry reaction changes to what I can only describe as a leer as he gazes at the half naked boyfriend. What the dickens is that all about?