Gransnet forums

Chat

“Big house” birthday rental.......

(61 Posts)
Sallyann1 Wed 18-Apr-18 22:23:26

Well, Mr Sallyann1 was 70 yesterday (I’m married to an old man ??) and that got me thinking about planning something for my birthday in a few months. Has anyone rented a large (sleeps 12+) holiday house? Wondering if this would work with our family - lots of grandchildren of different ages...... Just seen one online that has a big kitchen with an Aga, a games room, and a big garden. I’m tempted, but it’s a lot of money. Anyone done this?

Suki70 Wed 18-Apr-18 22:45:51

Our family did this almost three years ago for the 60th birthday of one of my nieces. She rented a beautiful converted barn in Herefordshire for three nights, which was very expensive but we and another niece contributed too. There were 22 of us ranging in age from 83 to 1, plus a dog. The barn had lots of rooms (including a games room) for us to spread out and a hot tub in the garden proved an unexpected success in the evenings. We all had a wonderful time, made many happy memories and are planning to do it again, so I would say go for it!

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Apr-18 22:49:37

Yes, we didn't do the renting but were invited to one and it was an excellent weekend. There were separate areas to the converted barns with their own kitchens, bedrooms and sitting rooms and a large kitchen and communal area in the central barn.
It all worked very well - whereabouts are you thinking of Sallyann1?
Because we were all different families related to the birthday girl we all paid our share so it was not just one person paying.

Marmight Wed 18-Apr-18 23:00:15

We did this some years ago in France for late DH's birthday . We had a big farmhouse which slept 12 for the family plus a 2 bed cottage in the courtyard. We used that and over the fortnight had 3 separate sets of friends to stay. A pool, a games room and a huge garden were the icing on the cake. We had a fabulous time and are left with many happy memories. I'd say go for it Sally

GrandmaKT Wed 18-Apr-18 23:21:57

We have done this several times when my brother was living abroad, When he came home, rather than him spreading himself thin visiting everyone, we would all meet up for a week in a big shared house. We split the cost between three families - brother sister and myself. We stopped doing it a few years ago when the family just got too big as the children grew up and had partners etc.
Things I learnt:
Whilst collections of cottages are nice and give you a bit of privacy, they struggle for big communal areas. I'd go for a big house with a big kitchen.
Swimming pools and games rooms are a big bonus.
It really doesn't matter about the location - the aim is to spend time together and there is always something nearby the least promising area for day trips.
Split the cooking between you - we used to do one meal each. Some places offer catering, which is great for a special occasion.
We have great memories of these holidays, go for it!

Granny23 Thu 19-Apr-18 00:16:53

We have done this twice for big birthdays by renting a whole Youth Hostel at very reasonable cost. Both Hostels had a huge lounge and kitchen/dining area. Perfect for informal meals and parties. Both were in scenic locations with lovely walks and plenty space outside for games and barbecue, etc.

Sallyann1 Thu 19-Apr-18 01:01:35

Ooh thanks for all your comments and helpful tips - all sounds v positive! I might try it for 3 or 4 nights, rather than a week. It’d be down to me to fund it I think, as daughters don’t have much spare cash (not that I have, but I could chip into my ISA ?)

Gerispringer Thu 19-Apr-18 02:26:00

We’ve done this a few times in France and Italy as well as U.K. as with all the children, partners, GC, aunties etc no one has a big enough house to host everyone. you need a big communal dining area and a big lounge to all sit together. A big garden for games of rounders or cricket also a plus. Walks from the house or a nearby pub good too. Make a list of meals and all bring food plus a kitchen rota for whose in charge on what day. We had a Come Dine With Me challenge where a different couple would be in charge of the menu that evening. There are lots of useful websites one is www.groupaccommodation.com/property-search.

Apricity Thu 19-Apr-18 03:31:37

Have a look at the larger houses operated by the Landmark Trust. See their website. The propterties are beautifully restored and well set up with everything you need for self catering and have very comfortable beds. (Landmark actually make their own mattresses.)
The properties are all interesting, historic buildings all over the UK with a few in France and Italy. They accommodate everything from a couple to large groups. Two years ago we rented a 15th century tower for a special birthday celebration and can thoroughly recommend Landmark. Our bookings were all done online from Oz with no problems.

Gerispringer Thu 19-Apr-18 06:26:41

Also make sure of the date with the family before you book. A WhatsApp group useful for coordinating arrangements.

ginny Thu 19-Apr-18 08:01:33

Agree with most points made by others. Just be aware of the configuration of the sleeping areas. Eg, you can’t expect a 15 year old boy to share a room with his auntie as he might have done when younger.

Eglantine21 Thu 19-Apr-18 08:06:39

Yes, I’ve done this loads of times-with friends as well as family. We bring our own breakfast and drinks because that’s where people really like different things and take turns to bring/cook the evening meal.
I’ve never regretted the money I’ve spent on enjoying myself, never!

Situpstraight Thu 19-Apr-18 08:11:54

Before you book, make sure that there are enough places to sit and eat, Ive looked at some properties that say they sleep 12 but the photos show a dining room table with only 8 chairs, only 3 small sofas etc. and take anything that you can’t live without, don’t hope that the property has it ( I always take my kitchen knives with me, but then I’m a control freak)
Don’t forget you can always get your shopping delivered to you just after you arrive to save you filling the car with refrigerated goods.
My SIL and her family often do it, but the children chip in with the cost of food.
Having a games room is a definite plus for the kiddies young and old!

janeainsworth Thu 19-Apr-18 08:12:13

We did this for MrA’s 70th last year.
We had a large cottage in the Forest of Bowland near Sawley and it was fabulous.
Plenty of room for everyone and a little play area for DGCs.
Celebratory lunch at the Spreadeagle in Sawley, and there was a jazz band playing. It turned out to be the drummer’s 70th birthday too and he had a piece of MrA’s ? grin

POGS Thu 19-Apr-18 10:15:53

Another one here who really enjoys renting large properties to holiday with family and/or friends.

It makes sense and whilst the initial cost does sound high when you break it down it is a bargain compared to hotels and even B&B's.

You have plenty of time to get the free brochures from the appropriate holiday rental companies Sallyann to look at the quality of properties on offer and I wouldn't mind betting you decide to book.

I think with little ones up to teens the freedom to be able to 'play to their tune' is a given by renting not in a confined environment such as a hotel or B&B so I think you will all feel far more more relaxed . Unless of course they write on the walls or break the Ming Dynasty vase then your in trouble smile

Have a good birthday whatever you decide.

grannyactivist Thu 19-Apr-18 12:46:17

I hate to sound a note of pessimism, but if you are hoping to find a large house for this summer I fear you may already have left it too late. Every year I book a large house for all the family and I'm finding I have to book earlier and earlier; often a year in advance.
It's a wonderful experience though and I believe my childrens' closeness to their grandparents is due in no small measure to the annual family holiday where we all pitch in together. Now they bring their children and we are four generations.
Someone up thread said to check the bed configurations and that's really important as if you get that right most other things fall into place. We always need a minimum of five bedrooms each with a double bed - plus beds for small children who are not yet ready for bunk beds. As a minimum we also need two of the double rooms to be en-suite. My greatest find was a house with five en-suite double bedrooms that has a sea view and is decorated and equipped beautifully - but now has to be booked two years in advance for a summer holiday!!

Sallyann1 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:08:42

Thanks again for really really helpful feedback. It does seem to need quite a bit of research re the beds configurations as folks say. Saw one that seemed ideal, but then noted that the biggest (master) bedroom with en-suite had to be walked through to get to a twin room. I’m looking to book for Oct 1/2 term, so at the moment there seem to be some available. Need something to soften the blow of being 70 ?!

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:12:36

Getting a food delivery from a local supermarket is a good idea too, as someone mentioned upthread. Someone needs to co-ordinate it all by email/phone beforehand so that people can add to the list of food suggestions, someone to plan the meals and people could bring their own extras if they wish, then dividing the bill by the number of adults usually works well.

Pippa000 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:18:20

My husband had organised for the family to go away to a country park in a log cabin for my 70th. Sadly he died suddenly two weeks before the day, but we all went as he had spent so much time and had so much fun planning. We thought that the whole weekend was a fitting memorial to him and drank the champagne in his memory.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:25:20

Pippa000, oh, what a shock that must have eben; I think you mentioned on another thread that you had been widowed recently.
It was lovely that you all still went and aremembered him with love - and champagne.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:26:03

been; remembered blush

sorry, my fingers are getting in a twist today.

Tizliz Thu 19-Apr-18 16:09:33

We rented an ex-youth hostel for a long weekend. 32 of us. My sister likes cooking so she did it all but didn’t pay towards the rental. This worked out well. It took a lot of organising though, but was great fun.

Sallyann1 Thu 19-Apr-18 16:17:03

Oh Pippa000 how very sad, but I’m sure it was a comfort for you all to be together at that time.
Tizliz - would your sister like to come with us?, ?

Tizliz Thu 19-Apr-18 16:21:42

Sallyann1 probably yes

nanaK54 Thu 19-Apr-18 16:26:24

Pippa000 flowers my sincere condolences to you
Sallyann1 go for it - hope you have lots of fun!