Gransnet forums

Chat

Time Alone

(63 Posts)
NanKate Wed 02-May-18 07:43:01

I know I am very lucky to still have my DH.

This coming May Bank holiday Friday to Tuesday DH will be with our DS and GSs and I will be home alone, just like many other Gransnetters. I can’t join the family as I promised to look after a friend’s house and cats which I am happy to do.

I have planned to clear out the wardrobes of clothes I never wear. Have an express manicure. Have invited a widowed friend round for coffee. Visit the French Market. Have my trusty IPad ready. Finish a book. But then I might start feeling a bit lonely.

How would you or do you fill your time alone ?

bigcol1 Thu 03-May-18 11:31:24

I live on my own and have done so since my parents died. One in 1996 and one in 2002. So I am sort of well used to living alone. I manage to fill my days with things though. I do a lot od drama and acting and I go to a couple of over 5os clubs and I do a lot of volunteering. There is always something to do you know. You need never be alone. The over 50s is good as I get to meet new people as well. I am busy acting at the moment in a show "Priscilla - Queen of the Desert" in Hornchurch, Essex and that takes up a lot of my time. I cant understand people who say there is absolutely nothing for them to do because there is always something

NanKate Fri 04-May-18 07:57:04

Well my time alone has started a day earlier than planned but that is fine.

I realise I am very fortunate that I am still physically active even if slower than in the past.

I do feel a bit lost without the car but can walk into town where plenty is going on and the river Thames to sit by. I have always been happy going out to eat or for a coffee on my own. I have done it since the age of 11.

Must start clearing out my two over full wardrobes. No excuses as you are all watching. ?

So far so good.

Marydoll Fri 04-May-18 08:01:20

Enjoy, Nan, it is so therapeutic clearing out wardrobes. You never know, you may find some long lost treasures. ?

Lazigirl Fri 04-May-18 09:16:13

Good luck with the wardrobe NanKate. I tend to take everything out and spend so long looking at things, I run out of time and shovel it all back again. I picked up some tips on one thread about turning the hangers the opposite way round until clothing is worn. I have noticed that over last 6 months most of the stuff hasn't been worn! Marydoll you are so right it is very therapeutic if you can do it!

Marydoll Fri 04-May-18 09:20:22

That's my plan for the afternoon.?

Blondiescot Fri 04-May-18 10:09:25

I love time on my own. Perhaps it's a legacy of growing up as an only child - with older parents - but I've never found being on my own a problem. Don't get me wrong, I love having my family around, but I'm probably happiest in my own company. I don't think loneliness would ever be a problem for me.

NanKate Sat 05-May-18 21:51:14

Day 2 All well so far.

Cleared out half of small wardrobe and filled two bags which I took to the Hospice shop.

Met a very lively 90+ friend from WI who invited me out to coffee. I asked the rather good looking Italian waiter to turn off the radio which was coming out of a speaker. He immediately did this with a little bow. I said to him ‘If I wasn’t old enough to be your grandmother I would give you a hug’ the next thing I know is that I am having a big bear hug from him, and very nice too ?

I spent a rather lazy afternoon snoozing and watching the tennis from Portugal, then went for a stroll.

On eating my M and S Balanced for You supper cooked in the microwave I plumbed new depths and ate it from the plastic plate it was cooked in. My mum would have been horrified at my slovenly ways.

I’m getting quite used to this decadent life style.

MaudLillian Sun 06-May-18 10:10:34

I actually love it when my husband goes away, as he is right now, on a cycling holiday in Italy. I love having the whole house to myself and being able to put my clutter where I want to, without anyone grumbling about it. I love being able to eat when I want instead of having to fit in with someone else's agenda. I love that everything stays exactly as I left it. I love the silence and the freedom - the lack of any routine, so that clock watching goes by the wayside. I wish it happened more often.

Albangirl14 Sun 06-May-18 17:59:07

Personally I would put being with family over looking after a house and cats but each to her own,

kittylester Sun 06-May-18 18:06:20

I suspect Kate had agreed to look after the cats and didn't want to shirk her responsibility.

Our neighbour looks after our cats, we water his garden in return, and if he let us down we wouldn't be able to go away.

NanKate Mon 07-May-18 14:54:10

Thank you Kitty for your comment Albangirl doesn’t know my true very difficult family situation at present, and why should she ? I am not going to justify myself.

DH returns tomorrow we both have sent each other texts saying how we are missing each other. I think I will make a grand gesture tomorrow and buy him an eclair. ?

kittylester Mon 07-May-18 16:33:36

Don't spoil him Kate!