Gransnet forums

Chat

Bring your own picnic.

(89 Posts)
Nanawind Thu 03-May-18 22:37:46

I have just read that the general public, who have been invited to the royal wedding are being asked to bring a picnic. I thought this wedding was to include all walks of life. They were informed that there will not be anywhere to purchase any refreshments. But the 600 toffs who are attending will have a full menu provided including wine etc.
This is proving that even though Harry and Meghan say it's a wedding for everyone it's still them and us.

Grandma70s Fri 04-May-18 08:13:41

OldMeg It was Nanawind, not gillybob, who used the word ‘toffs’. I don’t think I was hard on either of them, but if they think so I’m sorry.

gillybob Fri 04-May-18 08:14:16

Life not life’s ! ( I’m pretty sure I’ve only lived once) .smile

OldMeg Fri 04-May-18 08:15:39

Apologies then gillybob I must be thinking of someone else.

gillybob Fri 04-May-18 08:15:58

No need to be sorry at all Grandma70s we are all entitled to our own opinions . smile

OldMeg Fri 04-May-18 08:17:38

Oh dear, why so much bitterness from gillybob, and to a lesser extent from the OP?

This was the post I was referring to G70s ???

Witzend Fri 04-May-18 08:51:50

Personally I'd have thought that anyone who was that keen to go in the first place wouldn't mind taking their own picnic. Presumably they're all ardent royal fans - why would you bother if not? - so I dare say many will take a bottle of fizz, too.

annsixty Fri 04-May-18 09:06:32

Didn't everyone who was invited to the last big royal event get a picnic hamper?I seem to remember the contents being described in the newspapers.

Jane10 Fri 04-May-18 09:54:37

Providing some refreshment for the invited onlookers shouldn't be a problem. The Royal garden parties host hundreds of people at a time and cater for them.
Not much of an honour for those chosen charity workers to be invited to stand around and provide their own picnics.
I'm not impressed by this couple at all. I'll not be watching on TV either!

Blondiescot Fri 04-May-18 10:06:51

There's a royal wedding coming up? You'd never have known...
Actually, I've got a prior engagement that day anyway - my son and his fiancee are also getting married on May 19, and they chose the date long before the royal pair did! Oh, and none of our guests will have to take their own picnic...hehe

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-May-18 10:13:40

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/05/03/residents-golden-ticket-royal-wedding-told-provide-picnic-lunch/amp/

There are going to be some light snacks and refreshments provided apparently. And it’ll all be over by 1pm. Though people are still “dismayed”.

Afeica33 Fri 04-May-18 10:18:06

I'm with gillybob on this one!

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-May-18 10:39:34

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, of course. Though I always think that saying “Who in their right mind...?”implies that those of us who think otherwise are a set of simpletons. smile

Simple or not, I’ll be watching, though from the comfort of my sofa. I’m particularly looking forward to seeing what creations Beatrice and Eugenie have on their heads this time.

Peardrop50 Fri 04-May-18 10:52:45

Personally I love a good wedding, I love having a royal family, I love the pomp and ceremony that we do best and I love a good street party. I think screens should be put up in city parks and everybody should bring a picnic and join in the fun.

Caledonai14 Fri 04-May-18 10:53:53

I think these are the charity and other good causes people who have been invited to be in the grounds of Windsor that day. They will probably have to arrive very early and stay late for security and transport reasons. Many of them will have to pay for hotels etc. I can't see why they would have to bring a picnic when the Royal Family regularly hosts garden parties at which there is mass outside catering. Given that most of these ordinary-but-invited people will probably be dressed up for the occasion and possibly have to park miles away, it seems impractical and actually quite mean not to give them a cuppa and a few sandwiches to save them on the practical front. Maybe some of the "outside" public could toss them a jeely piece (jam sandwich in Scotland) over the security fence.

paddyann Fri 04-May-18 11:00:21

well said annsixty its exactly like throwing coppers at native children in old colonial days.The problem is of course these over priviledged scroungers think it still IS colonial days and they're the masters and the rest of us are muck beneath their pampered feet .They have no interest in the problems of the people they call "subjects" only the money that rolls in from us to keep them in the life they think they deserve !1

Rosina Fri 04-May-18 11:05:17

No one was forced to accept a invitation. No one is forced to watch it on TV. I saw on another thread someone saying they will 'refuse' to watch the wedding. I wonder who is insisting that they do? A lot of people enjoy a Royal spectacle or indeed any of the traditional occasions like Trooping the Colour, evidently these events bring a lot of revenue into the country. I am not fussed one way or the other but I will watch as I do enjoy seeing ceremonial at its best - nobody does it as well as we do - and a wedding is the most joyful of occasions. If you don't like it, don't want to watch, hate the royal family well...you have the great British prerogative of choice, and can keep the TV off or on another channel.

GabriellaG Fri 04-May-18 11:07:15

It may be the 'general public' but ut's carefully selected members of the public such as people who've done 'good works', head teachers who've turned around failing schools, community leaders, volunteers in various sectors et al. Not just random names picked from a hat. They're the creme de la creme of the plebs.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-May-18 11:13:46

700+ of those invited are local residents and 500+ are palace staff. So not far to walk.

I love all the online guff about refusing to watch and going on holiday to avoid it (as opposed to switching your TV channel). Harry and Meghan will be gutted.

Maidmarion Fri 04-May-18 11:14:10

Stone the crows .... live and let live eh???

silverdarlings Fri 04-May-18 11:15:13

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing Bea and Eug headgear
too----Whats wrong in being happy?????

BlueBelle Fri 04-May-18 11:22:07

Oh what a load of bad feeling and yes bitterness coming through here I m not at all into the Royals but I don’t begrudge others wanting to cheer and watch and wave and dine out on the day they went to the royal wedding I doubt if they expect to be fed I wouldn’t if I was going anywhere to watch an event
I don’t think poor old Harry can do right for doing wrong and poor Meghan she don’t stand a chance does she, she’s from another country shock horror !!! and oh by gosh she has a bit of black blood running through her veins coming here diluting our precious white blood what a load of piffle Of course the beautiful Diana was in love with an Egyptian but that’s different she was blond and milky white and out of the royal circle by then but she still wasn’t judged was she ?
Those who are t too interested just ignore the day those that are into Royals watch and enjoy from whatever vantage point the rest of us can pick bits up on the news that’s probably enough

Menopaws Fri 04-May-18 11:23:23

Third world problems?

annsixty Fri 04-May-18 11:32:42

But this isn't a ceremonial occasion, it is a family wedding.No foreign royalty and no ceremonial parade.
I believe the bridal couple will be the only ones in a coach, the rest in cars and only the couple doing the drive around the town.
I don't remembers this fuss when Edward married,although I didn't see it.

annifrance Fri 04-May-18 11:36:34

Many of the 600 charity et al invitees are very excited to have been asked and will be going. presumably they will pay their own travel costs so it would seem pretty mean not to provide some kind of refreshments. as another poster said, royal garden parties are routine and the powers that be well used to catering for such. At £15 a head for a reasonable light lunch comes to a total of £9000 which I am sure Meghan and Harry can come up with from their own pockets.

TrishP2 Fri 04-May-18 11:39:30

The rich man in his castle
The poor man at the gate
God made them high and lowly
And ordered their estate.

Seems nothing much has changed.