Gransnet forums

Chat

Bring your own picnic.

(89 Posts)
Nanawind Thu 03-May-18 22:37:46

I have just read that the general public, who have been invited to the royal wedding are being asked to bring a picnic. I thought this wedding was to include all walks of life. They were informed that there will not be anywhere to purchase any refreshments. But the 600 toffs who are attending will have a full menu provided including wine etc.
This is proving that even though Harry and Meghan say it's a wedding for everyone it's still them and us.

patriciageegee Sat 05-May-18 04:52:01

As a caterer in a previous life, I have to say it's not a massively difficult or vastly expensive undertaking to provide sandwiches and a bit of cake plus tea and coffee for 2000 plus (even with all the dietary requirements nowadays). On Jeremy Vine, an invitee told how it was requested that, along with their own picnic, they also bring something to sit on! And regardless of the status of anyone involved, if you invite someone to a do whether it's by 'golden ticket' or a quick text it's a pretty poor show and against general good manners to not provide at least basic refreshments.

Grandma70s Sat 05-May-18 06:24:48

People are persisting with their own agenda in spite of the fact that light refreshments snd snacks ARE (I have read) being provided. The wedding is not at a meal time. It will be over by one o’clock. Harry and Megan don’t get a meal until afterwards so I really don’t see why anyone else should expect one.

I find these chip-on-shoulder resentful attitudes most unpleasant, showing the nastier and meaner sides of some people’s natures.

ffinnochio Sat 05-May-18 06:38:48

If I’d been invited, along I’d go with blanket, doorsteps and flasks ... maybe even some fizz ... have a good natter with other invitees and have an interesting time. Simple soul, me.

OldMeg Sat 05-May-18 07:36:48

Exactly G70s

But it was always thus....remember those who denounced woman who had upset them to the Witchfnder General?

gillybob Sat 05-May-18 07:42:49

It reminds me of an elimination game/poem we used to say when we were small.

There’s a party on the hill will you come?
Bring your own bread and butter and a nice cream bun

Who is your very best friend?

(Gilly) will be there
with her knickers in the air
Singing OUT spells out .

You then pointed to whoever was out and carried on. smile

Blinko Sat 05-May-18 12:00:47

To those who have taken some satisfaction in pointing out her family's shortcomings, he is marrying Meghan, not her family!

Ginny42 Sun 06-May-18 07:13:37

Allygran1

When people who were once coal miners, ship's stewards, teachers etc sit in the house of Lords, and at a whim, try to stop a democratic process, these are the people that you should be wary of.
What a bitter and unfounded comment. How dare ordinary folk rise above their station?

Sorry to post in that vein when so many people are happy about the wedding, but I had to challenge that comment.

My only other comment on the wedding is...£100,000 for the dress? Looks like she could do to slip her Dad a few bob.

paddyann Sun 06-May-18 10:07:30

I have more problems with the unelected Bishops of a church that has no affiliation with MY country and rich old boys who have no idea about the real world ,sitting in the "Lords".I would certainly want the whole shebang abolished asap ..and an ELECTED 2nd house put in its place .The whole system stinks .Old men going there to sleep and being paid £300 a DAY to do so.Cheap food and booze while they're there...and thats the ones who dont just sign in and then leave so they get their allowance.
My friends uncle is a "lord" he's happy to boast of his multiple cruises at the expense of the taxpayer and has NEVER spoken in the lords or even taken part in a vote ..but he's delighted to take the money .WHO are the scroungers in this disunited union? Certainly not the folk who are struggling to get by on a pittance .Look at your royals and your folk with made up titles ..gives them a sense of entitlement that "ordinary" folk dont have .

trisher Sun 06-May-18 10:53:55

Why on earth not provide food and drink for everyone? They surely can afford it. Security is going to be a nightmare anyway, but searching through boxes of sandwiches, salads and examining bottles for signs of tampering- "I'm not certain this is really a bottle of Aunt Agatha's Sloe Gin. I will need to taste it to be sure!" not to mention opening picnic blankets, umbrellas and waterproofs, will be impossible. Much easier to have dished out little boxes of something.
Not that I care I'm not watching. I'm busy that day

mostlyharmless Sun 06-May-18 11:18:05

Not very glamorous for these wedding “guests” to have to cart around picnic hampers, blankets, (picnic chairs?) and waterproofs all day!

Magrithea Sun 06-May-18 16:27:45

I saw this and the moans about it in the paper and thought some people will moan about anything! Did people get fed at Will and Kate's wedding? I don't think so! And if you don't like the royals why read a thread about them?? angry

trisher Sun 06-May-18 18:00:43

Cos I thought it was about a picnic!!! A bit disapointed now I was looking forward to a GN picnic (as long as that lot from the Argy weren't organising it!) sad

eazybee Sun 06-May-18 18:38:49

Gillybob, like many people on here I was very glad to hear that your grandchild was safely delivered.

Why do you waste your time being repeatedly bitter and malicious about the Royal Family, (you are, you know) when you have so much joy in your life at present?

Ignore them.