Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm losing my job and I feel lost.

(79 Posts)
tanith Wed 16-May-18 19:28:00

My late 40s daughter was made redundant from a job she’d had for 20+ yrs she was very worried about where she went from there. It took 8mths and one false start but she’s now very happy she looked at jobs that were completely different from her previous job as she’s now doing something different and so far it’s going really well.
So do consider jobs that might be out of your comfort zone and list all the skills you have, good luck.

Telly Wed 16-May-18 19:09:53

In your 40s you are still young and lucky you have many more working years ahead! I would sit down and think about the skills that you have - many of which are transferable to other positions. What do you enjoy about your current job? What are you good at? People? Figures? What do you dislike? Ideally what form would you new job take? Large organisation? Small? Working from home? Giving this some thought and writing it down may well give you and idea of where you need to start and how you need to approach your job search. Many jobs are not advertised so don't be afraid to let people know when you are in the market. This is an exciting opportunity - make the most of it! Good luck and best wishes.

Fennel Wed 16-May-18 19:05:45

"old and expensive" - I know what you mean HT.
I found the same result many years ago when I tried to move to another area in my 50s.
You're so young though. Is there something else you've often thought you'd like to do, but needs training? Think about it, and if so, go for it. You'll enjoy the challenge.

HotTamales Wed 16-May-18 18:53:20

I'm new here but very much a regular on MN.

As I had my children when I was young I am a young Grandma in my mid 40s.

I'm about to lose my job, although my employers can't say this ultimately, it's because I'm 'old' and expensive.
It's the same all over my type of career, I would like to begin another career but I have no idea where to start.

I feel bad at the loss of income, DH is fantastic but I feel like I'm letting him down and I feel lost and I've no idea what I could do next.

Our adult DCs are young, successful and gorgeous, obviously this is excellent but it also reminds me how old I am.
They are full of energy and optimism whereas I feel dragged down by age and responsibility.

Any useful advice for getting my mojo back would be appreciated.