Gransnet forums

Chat

Expectation v reality

(31 Posts)
Belgravian Mon 28-May-18 15:11:41

Lovely walk to a beach with dogs, adult daughter and her boyfriend. Picnic on the beach.

V

Enroute to the beach one of the dogs rolled in a huge cow pat!

We had to walk further before finding water to wash him down which he wasn't impressed with as he isn't a water dog!

We are settled on the beach now after the trauma of the cow pat. grin.

How is your day going?

Teetime Mon 28-May-18 16:25:27

Fine thank you. I had a dog like that loved to get mucky.

I have taken my first sort of walk without crutches (foot surgery 8 weeks ago) round the garden centre (2 New Guinea Impatiens and some herbs) and then sat in a lovely walled pub garden (Anne of Cleves - part of Henry 8ths marriage gift) with a spritzer. The sat in garden with a cuppa. Going to get the dinner ready soon- sausages.
I hope the dog has recovered from the shock of getting clean!

Greyduster Mon 28-May-18 16:54:58

You were lucky to get him anywhere near the beach!! We had a dog when the children were small and we lived within ‘walkies’ distance of the sea. He hated the water and as soon as he saw the sea he would attempt to bolt in the other direction. And yes, dear reader, he was a Labrador!
We have had a very quiet day today, waiting for a visit from our StepGS and his girlfriend enroute to their home in London. They were supposed to come at two but turned up at half past three - par for the course - but it was lovely to see them (and their tortoise!). Teetime what better place to test drive your foot than a garden centre! I cooked up a storm yesterday so we are having fish and chips tonight.

sassenach512 Mon 28-May-18 17:59:22

Greyduster I'm amazed your Lab doesn't like the water, Labradors are supposed to be a breed that loves swimming and splashing about.
Belgravian we took our little chap onto the beach today too and the first thing he did was find a dead fish and roll in it, he was groomed just last week but he has this mania for smelling stinky whenever he gets the chance grin it's a good thing we love him to bits

Besstwishes Mon 28-May-18 20:08:44

Our Welsh Springer Spaniel didn’t like the water, but give him a pile of hedgehog poo and he was in seventh heaven.
Yuk,

he hated being washed off, but it never stopped him from finding another pile.

hildajenniJ Mon 28-May-18 23:57:38

I've had a good day. Cooked cheese burgers, chips, and made salad for 3 of us as DS came for lunch. Watched a bit of telly then went for a lovely evening walk. The whole day finished off nicely with the very last Peter Kay's Car Share.
Talking of dogs, I once took my dog for a walk in the woods beside a river. She loved the water and jumped straight in. When she emerged she absolutely stank of rotten fish. She must have found a dead one and rolled in it. I put her in the car to drive home but the smell was overpowering, even with the windows open! I took her to my mother's house and tried to wash some of the smell off, it didn't work. So home we went. It took a further three baths with medicated dog shampoo to make her smell better.
I don't believe dogs like to smell of shampoo, they prefer to smell of real poo! 😄😄

annep Tue 29-May-18 05:11:03

We had a walk along the sea front in Newcastle county Down. Then pizza and wine at our caravan site with son and wife on their last day before setting off in campervan for a year travelling Europe. Oh to be young. was a lovely evening.

Anniebach Tue 29-May-18 09:17:35

I watched some tv, some videos on uTube

Belgravian Tue 29-May-18 09:40:04

Some lovely insights into your day/evening - thank you. As some nice tales about stinky dogs! grin

On the way back the tide came in and snaked behind to join the river so we had to wade across which forced the dogs to swim. I didn't think the stinky one would do it but he was very brave and swam across behind me so I've forgiven him for rolling in the cow pat!

I was quite pleased with myself too as I am nervous about water and wading across a moving current was nerve wracking for me but I kept calm because I didn't want stinky dog to pick up my fears! The other dog crossed with my daughter and her boyfriend.

Jaycee5 Tue 29-May-18 10:17:44

My dog preferred dead animals. His idea of heaven was rolling in a rotting hedgehog carcass.
At least he had a good day.

I once lost him in a park and someone said to me 'if you're looking for a spaniel, there's one on top of a manure heap at the bag of that shed'. He then developed wilful blindness and deafness and sat looking at the sky. I saw an angry gardener looming but it took me ages to get him down. It wasn't fresh like a cowpat though. That would not be much fun.

Nandalot Tue 29-May-18 10:35:57

The cocker spaniel we had as a child loved water and would rush in whenever he saw any. Once he jumped into a lake that was frozen over breaking it and trying desperately to get out. A heart stopping moment until he managed it as there was no way we could have rescued him without endangering ourselves,

Coconut Tue 29-May-18 10:49:52

I took 2 GC to a big Reservoir for a lovely long, scenic walk but it was so hot, after an hour, it was ice creams and back home. We had lunch in the garden and then swinging in the garden hammock chatting pm .... with Pimms for Nanny !

GabriellaG Tue 29-May-18 11:03:31

Belgravian
I trust you take a supply of poo bags to pick up after your dogs. grin

sarahellenwhitney Tue 29-May-18 11:11:21

Belgravian May I suggest you change your route on the way to the beach.If your pet is covered in 'cow pat' then your dog is on cow territory .Cows should they be in calf or have their young with them are not the best place for either you or your dog to be.

GabriellaG Tue 29-May-18 11:16:25

I went to the IoWight yesterday with one of my daughters who visited for a few days. Hot hot hot but a nice breeze from the Solent. Took some photos for my blog and daughter made a huge love heart out of balls of sand with our initials in the middle. M+L
We later had a paddle and flicked water over each other then had supper in a cafe before getting the ferry and train home, a tad dishevelled, sandy, tired and happy.

annodomini Tue 29-May-18 11:16:58

When I was a teenager I used to walk our boxer on the beach where she would find a dead seagull to roll on. Back home, she would go upstairs and wait in the bath. She also rather liked being washed!

Witzend Tue 29-May-18 11:18:40

When we were living in the Middle East, not far from a beach, our dog was a devil for rolling in anything smelly. Worst ever was a dead turtle - thank God a rarity - if you can imagine the worst of rotting meat and rotting fish combined. He stank so much we couldn't put him in the car - he had to run behind (not too far and not on an actual road).

He only had very short fur, but even so several baths didn't shift the stink. In desperation I even tried Brut shampoo, bought for the purpose!
It just had to wear off with time.

GabriellaG Tue 29-May-18 11:21:15

Ryde visit.

tigger Tue 29-May-18 11:56:52

Fox muck, no matter how much bathing the smell lurked around for days but dogs love it.

Foxyferret Tue 29-May-18 12:13:53

Watched the French Open tennis, so many good young players coming through but Rafa is the favourite.

Legs55 Tue 29-May-18 12:13:58

I had a lovely day just pottering in the garden, lovely sunshine after the storms . Lunch was Ham Salad & Dinner a lovely piece of salmon, Cornish new potatoes & veg. No major cooking involvedgrin. Enjoyed a relaxing evening watching tv.

I refuse to go out on a Bank Holiday, living on the edge of Dartmoor & only a few miles from South Devon coast the traffic is horrendous

GreenGran78 Tue 29-May-18 12:19:35

Some friends had a beautiful white Pyrenean Mountain dog. He hated to be bathed, and would slip away to the neighbouring farm, as quickly as possible, and roll in the cow pats!

muffinthemoo Tue 29-May-18 12:27:05

GreenGran how was he with kids? Have always wanted one but I hear various things about their temprament with small children. Mine are used to dogs and handle them carefully but by god are they noisy

wilygran Tue 29-May-18 12:44:25

I sat in the shade and read a book - the first chance I'd had for a bit of quiet time for ages! What a treat!

Blue45Sapphire Tue 29-May-18 13:14:19

On my own yesterday; walked to the garden centre, had a coffee, bought some bedding plants for my pots. Old habits did hard, my pots were always done half term week as I was a teacher! Had lunch and a glass of wine outside, then planted up pots. Now need some more compost. Sat in the sun and finished a bottle of Prosecco I had opened on Saturday. Cooked dinner, watched tv. Have cut the grass this morning as I have just seen the weather forecast for the rest of the week!

Post!