Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee to go

(111 Posts)
mabon1 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:29:49

Perhaps someone will be able to answer a simple question.
A young woman who lives close to me walks her six year old son to school every day, GREAT, most parents take their child by car this is to be admired, however every morning on her way home she buys a take away coffee from a kiosk in the car park adjacent to the school and carries it home and presumably drinks it there (the coffee cups are no recycleable). Why pay for a cup of coffee every morning, carry it home when one is just 7 minutes away from home, where she could make one herself? To me it seems a waste of money and not good for the environment. Please enlighten me.

Carolpaint Sat 02-Jun-18 10:12:44

What a delicious sounding pizza. Would love to try it. Thank goodness for no tomatoes. Yum Yum.

Tessa123 Sat 02-Jun-18 10:13:17

I’m 62 and I enjoy a nice coffee from one of the many
coffee shops that are everywhere, I will buy one when I’m shopping or driving long distances and always prefer a takeaway version. I don’t feel it’s anything to do with age it’s a sign of the times. Try it you may like it.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Jun-18 10:21:12

Ridiculous, isn't it? I think that it's a complete and utter waste of time and money but as an occasional treat it's perfectly acceptable. I assume the young lady has a kettle at home. I expect this nonsense started off on US television and has caught on over here with all the rest of these silly things.

charjoy Sat 02-Jun-18 10:29:17

Good luck to her if she can afford it. I just hope that people who go to the food bank don't do the same.

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Jun-18 10:32:20

A coffee to go cup is a fashion accessory. Everyone who’s anyone always carries one. I don’t buy them as I’m too impatient to stand in the queue and like to sit and savour my drinks.

harrigran Sat 02-Jun-18 10:38:05

The money spent would buy a fancy coffee machine or lots of ground coffee from a supermarket but then you would have to make it yourself. I will never understand why anyone would want to drink coffee from a cardboard cup and am probably the only person never to have set foot in an overpriced trendy coffee shop.

MawBroon Sat 02-Jun-18 10:38:20

I apologise Mabon as it had never occurred to me that you might be chair bound or stuck indoors for health reasons. But it struck me as incomprehensible how anybody could be so informed about their young neighbour’s habits every day.
Us oldies are too often accused of “curtain twitching” or intolerance of the habits of the younger generation.
Perhaps some of us do need more to occupy our lives? But at any rate I still think what someone else does with her money, on a daily business or not, is not really our business.
And no, it is not the sort of thing I would raise in conversation peaches50 my friends would think it an odd thing to comment on! (And we might be in a coffee shop - whereas I suppose we could just as easily drink brew and eat cupcake at home. )

sarahcyn Sat 02-Jun-18 10:48:30

Mabon1 you could:
1. buy a couple of lovely bamboo reusable coffee cups with lids (same size as the cup she prefers).
2. then come out from behind your twitching net curtain,
3. walk to the kiosk at the same time as the walking mum, and
4.hand her one of the cups saying frankly “I see you every day walking your child to school and I think you deserve this!” Then use the other one to buy a coffee yourself!
If the coffee’s disgusting, the mystery thickens.

Gma29 Sat 02-Jun-18 11:04:00

I often buy a takeaway coffee to drink in the car on the way home from somewhere, as I feel very uncomfortable sitting in a cafe on my own. I don’t own a coffee machine, and enjoy a “proper coffee” - even if it is the free one from Waitrose sometimes.

moobox Sat 02-Jun-18 11:21:04

My neighbours get up early then get dressed up and walk down the road at 9.30 for a coffee every day. I wouldn't, and would have a coffee at home unless I was meeting friends out, but they really enjoy doing it.

Urmstongran Sat 02-Jun-18 11:33:13

Because she can?

starbird Sat 02-Jun-18 11:36:34

Maybe it is a cappuccino or some other type she cannot get at home, or she might live with a Mormon or JW who does not allow coffee in the house ( she might pass a bin before she gets home for the empty cup) or maybe she has a coffee at the kiosk talking with other mums and is carrying the empty back, or buys another to take back for someone else. The possibilities are endless so we cannot judge a person on such a small action, but if you have a literary beny it could be woven into a detective story!

GabriellaG Sat 02-Jun-18 11:43:19

I think that more environmental damage is done by people driving their children to school than one mum buying a coffee.

Yellowmellow Sat 02-Jun-18 11:59:52

Not quite sure why this is a problem?? It's her money, and also her choice. We all deserve some 'me time', and we all spend our money on how we see fit...it's obviously her little treat for the day....fair play to her I say

Camelotclub Sat 02-Jun-18 12:27:47

Maybe it's her one treat of the day. Sorry to say this but it's none of your business anyway!

annodomini Sat 02-Jun-18 12:35:11

So it's a waste of money. It's her money, not yours.

lesley4357 Sat 02-Jun-18 12:36:33

Why does it bother You? That might be her treat for the day. Get a life

Happysexagenarian Sat 02-Jun-18 12:39:42

Welshwife Your tomato-less pizza sounds lovely. I really didn't know you could get pizzas that don't have tomato in them! It would suit me down to the ground as I can't stand tomatoes in any way, shape or form.

Welshwife Sat 02-Jun-18 12:47:49

It is a thin base with plenty of cheese on it and then the honey and nuts after it was cooked. This is in France - but I have never seen one before either.

rafichagran Sat 02-Jun-18 12:52:06

I do the same sometimes, in fact after a visit to the GP, I went for a latte.
I wonder why people are so interested, I would not give it a second thought. She probably has a nice coffee, that she cannot make at home before she gets on with the rest of the day. Good luck to her.

paddyann Sat 02-Jun-18 12:53:34

Nobodies business what she spends her money on .I've never been in one of these coffee shops as I dont drink coffee,I also dont eat fast food and rarely have a takeaway ...maybe twice a year ...if that.Thats MY choice,your neighbour chooses to have a coffee at the beginning of what might be a busy day ,good for her.

Nanny27 Sat 02-Jun-18 13:08:55

I'm not particularly interested in this woman and her coffee but mabon1 raised it as a point for chatting and I think that aggressive comments like "get a life" lesley 4357 are unnecessary and not in the usual friendly gransnet spirit.

Baggs Sat 02-Jun-18 13:10:19

Maybe she's just rebelling against all the virtue signalling about not using unrecyclable cups. Maybe it gets up her nose, so to speak.

Or maybe she just likes the kiosk coffee and can afford it. Perhaps she will even bring along her own washable cup in due course.

Meanwhile perhaps observers of her coffee buying behaviour could perhaps learn to mind their own business.

HurdyGurdy Sat 02-Jun-18 13:14:43

Peaches50 - "For the record DH unfailingly comments when we see the hard up families living in Coronation Street having coffee at Roy's instead of their own houses next door. Weird."

Me too. I do a lot of shouting at Corrie grin

And also when the factory workers are out of work, they are ALWAYS in the Rovers or in Roys Rolls. No one EVER seems to claim benefits, so where do they get the money to afford this lifestyle!

But - I just keep telling myself to take a breath. It's a soap, not a documentary, and the Rovers and the cafe etc are places where the characters come together so we can see their interactions.

It does seem daft though

HurdyGurdy Sat 02-Jun-18 13:28:17

Nanny27 - "aggressive comments like "get a life" lesley 4357"

I absolutely agree. I never understand really what people mean when they say "get a life", so I would be interested if lesley4357 could explain what she meant by the comment to mabon1. Maybe she could tell us all what kind of life mabon1 should have/live, that would please lesley4357, and why she thinks that mabon1's life isn't up to her (lesley4357's) standards.

Maybe I should start a thread about "get a life" to find out what is meant when it is said. I find it a very aggressive, and abominably rude, thing thing to say to anyone.

For what it's worth, I have no issue with anyone buying coffee from a coffee shop if that's what they want to spend their money on. It's not something I would do regularly, because it does seem a waste of money to me, but that doesn't make me superior to those who do.

My issue with it is that they always seem to be drank (drunk?) consumed from a disposable cup, which, as has been pointed out above, are rarely recyclable.

Take along your own, reusable cup, and with my (un-sought-after grin ) blessing, enjoy your drinks