Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee to go

(110 Posts)
mabon1 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:29:49

Perhaps someone will be able to answer a simple question.
A young woman who lives close to me walks her six year old son to school every day, GREAT, most parents take their child by car this is to be admired, however every morning on her way home she buys a take away coffee from a kiosk in the car park adjacent to the school and carries it home and presumably drinks it there (the coffee cups are no recycleable). Why pay for a cup of coffee every morning, carry it home when one is just 7 minutes away from home, where she could make one herself? To me it seems a waste of money and not good for the environment. Please enlighten me.

Farmor15 Fri 01-Jun-18 13:12:44

Maybe the coffee from the kiosk is from a fancy machine and nicer than she can make at home. However, younger people seem to be addicted to having drinks - coffee or water usually- ‘on the go”. And it must be costing them a lot, as well as the environment. I don’t know how we all survived without continuously drinking all day!

ninathenana Fri 01-Jun-18 13:14:25

I can only assume she likes her coffee made in a way that she dosen't have the machine necessary to make at home.
Or maybe she fancies the person running the kiosk smile

ninathenana Fri 01-Jun-18 13:15:16

Crossed posts smile

MawBroon Fri 01-Jun-18 13:51:34

FFS she is an adult so why not if she wants to?
You don’t, so that’s fine.
Perhaps you do things she would regard as ridiculous. Like —spying on— watching a neighbour from behind the net curtains? Somebody needs to get out more. [ hmm][ hmm]

MawBroon Fri 01-Jun-18 13:52:09

hmmhmm

Jayh Fri 01-Jun-18 14:02:04

There’s nothing wrong with treating yourself to a coffee. Why not buy a cup for yourself and find out what the attraction is for this young woman? ?

wildswan16 Fri 01-Jun-18 14:12:05

I do understand where you are coming from mabon1. As someone who has never had pots of money, I tend to add things up - so every week she spends at least £2.00 x 5 = £10. Thirty odd school weeks a year so that comes to £300.

So long as she can afford it - then it's up to her, but I could think of many better ways to spend my £300.

Teetime Fri 01-Jun-18 15:07:15

My neighbours go out in their car to the garage 5mins away and come back with 2 coffees!!! Buy a cafetiere!!

I've never understood having pizza delivered - its must be cold when it gets there either by if from supermarket or make it yourself half the price, twice the food and nice and hot - hate cold soggy pizza.

PamelaJ1 Fri 01-Jun-18 16:35:36

Tee time, so do a couple of people I know. Beyond my comprehension. I can make a very good cup at home . Not the cappuccino though with all Its calories!?

sodapop Fri 01-Jun-18 17:01:30

We all enjoy a guilty pleasure and maybe the coffee is hers, for me its chocolate.

goldengirl Fri 01-Jun-18 17:13:03

I really enjoy take away coffees - but only as a treat; not as a regular activity. I have a machine but it doesn't taste the same somehow.
Teetime We have the odd pizza now and again and it's never cold - it's carried in an insulated container.

annep Fri 01-Jun-18 19:21:16

There's nothing wrong with commenting, MawBroon. It's just chat.? I think it's a funny thing to do too. I'm sure I do odd things too.

Tingleydancer Sat 02-Jun-18 09:16:39

Perhaps you should mind your own business!

sunseeker Sat 02-Jun-18 09:20:48

It could be her one treat of the day, how do you know she drinks it at home she may (like me) be a caffeine addict and by the time she reaches you she has already drunk the coffee and is carrying the cup home to dispose of it.

As long as she doesn't throw the cup on the ground (or in your garden) I would just ignore her habit - after all it isn't harming anyone

ReadyMeals Sat 02-Jun-18 09:21:46

Bear in mind that if people who can afford these pointless but fun luxuries go on buying them, they are helping to keep someone who probably can't afford luxuries in a job. With the wealth divide getting wider and wider I can't help thinking it would be a social benefit to go back to the days of those who can afford it keeping household staff (but without the horrid long hours etc)

peaches50 Sat 02-Jun-18 09:25:33

quite right Annep. Mawbroon there is a fine line between brisk and brusque. Mabon1 just found it odd and wanted to share - I see this site as a virtual round table where I can have a cuppa and jaw putting the world to right or just idling the time with some friends. Would you consider comments like 'spying on' 'get a life' be appropriate or kind if sat at that table facing Mabon1? You are entitled to your own view but seemed a bit aggressive. For the record DH unfailingly comments when we see the hard up families living in Coronation Street having coffee at Roy's instead of their own houses next door. Weird.

sarahellenwhitney Sat 02-Jun-18 09:29:01

You can't beat a Coffee 'to go' even if you have your own machine. I like nothing more, having done my shopping, than picking up a large 'extra shot' Costa and sitting in my car in Tesco car park watching the world go by.

Stansgran Sat 02-Jun-18 09:34:48

I read that 1 in 400 takeaway coffees is recycled. All people carrying their coffee around annoy me as they are very unlikely to dehydrate in the great scheme of things. And please don't start me on tubs of popcorn in cinemas. And yes I do have a life. grin

Blackcat3 Sat 02-Jun-18 09:39:30

It does sound a bit extravagant but if she can afford it why not, some bought fancy coffees are nicer than homemade even if you’ve got an espresso maker as I do....also it’s quicker to buy it...maybe she has a busy day....we all have our routine....after all it’s a simple pleasure, better than some other things she could do!!

trisher Sat 02-Jun-18 09:40:15

She likes the coffee-why shouldn't she?
As for delivery pizza. Nothing, home made, supermarket, frozen tastes the same as take away or delivered (With the possible exception of restaurant pizza)

inishowen Sat 02-Jun-18 09:57:38

Think of it this way. She's helping keep the small coffee kiosk in business. I would also agree, a takeaway pizza is delicious and always arrives hot.

Carolpaint Sat 02-Jun-18 09:59:54

Perhaps this is 'her time'. When we had small children even to go to the loo alone was a luxury. Perhaps it was for her partner to get him up, his pleasure. If it was her pleasure, to sit and luxuriate in the simplicity of drinking a peaceful cup of good coffee uninterrupted. To walk in the shoes of others is worth a try. Please can we have hopeful responses?

Welshwife Sat 02-Jun-18 10:04:34

A couple of days ago I was talking about cooking pizza for lunch when DH said there was nothing like the one the man up the road makes. So on the spur of the moment we decided to go and get our first ever take away pizza! We got it back home piping hot and tasting delicious - five cheeses with honey and walnuts on the top. It is the only pizza I have ever eaten with no tomato of any sort on it.
It was a luxury but a lovely unexpected treat on a dull rainy day!

harrysgran Sat 02-Jun-18 10:09:48

Maybe it's her treat could be worse she could be puffing on a cigarette that would be a waste of money