Gransnet forums

Chat

Coffee to go

(111 Posts)
mabon1 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:29:49

Perhaps someone will be able to answer a simple question.
A young woman who lives close to me walks her six year old son to school every day, GREAT, most parents take their child by car this is to be admired, however every morning on her way home she buys a take away coffee from a kiosk in the car park adjacent to the school and carries it home and presumably drinks it there (the coffee cups are no recycleable). Why pay for a cup of coffee every morning, carry it home when one is just 7 minutes away from home, where she could make one herself? To me it seems a waste of money and not good for the environment. Please enlighten me.

jenpax Sun 03-Jun-18 11:35:21

I stand by my view that it is unkind and unfair to criticise the life choices of strangers when we know nothing about their circumstances. It seems to me that we all have our own hard crosses to bear and life is too hard to spend time looking at other people’s lives. I intend to carry on with my attempt to become a genuinely non judgemental person however hard this might be! it’s my choice as I have seen so much damage done to people’s self esteem and mental health by the negative views of strangers, expressed often as a throw away comment.
Others of course can do as they wish,

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Jun-18 11:50:15

Has this lady been hurt by our opinions on take away coffees?

jenpax Sun 03-Jun-18 11:54:17

How can we know? But to be fair my point is about a culture of criticising and judging others. As I said I have seen and experienced the effect of judgemental comments and know how damaging they can be. I really can’t see the need for anyone to do it and I will try my hardest not to indulge in critical comments where I have no back ground

gulligranny Sun 03-Jun-18 12:19:17

I agree with PollyPerkins. I don't buy takeaway coffee as I've never yet found one that tastes anything like the coffee I like to drink!

maddyone Sun 03-Jun-18 13:17:13

I agree with you Polly, and no, you're not being unreasonable Maw.
I made my previous comment as I felt, like Polly, that some posters were being unnecessarily unkind.

maddyone Sun 03-Jun-18 13:20:26

nfdumpling, the young lady who buys the daily coffee most likely isn't being upset by the comments on here, but it's entirely possible that the original poster could be hurt by some of the responses.

JackyB Sun 03-Jun-18 13:35:53

Anyone else got adverts for coffee machines at the bottom of this thread?

I don't drink coffee, it turns my stomach over. Am only chiming in to say that what Welshwife was describing was a Flammkuchen. (Pizza without tomatoes,with a very thin crispy base) It's known in Alsace as Flammkuechle (or similar, depending on the local dialect) and in the rest of France as tarte flambee.

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Jun-18 15:11:53

Exactly so Maddy.

Welshwife Sun 03-Jun-18 15:52:42

No it was not a flammekuechen! I know what that is as I sometimes have it. It was on a pizza base and it did not have onions or allumettes on it. Flammekuechen are widely available here.

Welshwife Sun 03-Jun-18 15:54:36

Also Flammekuechen are not usually circular! The man cooking them only has pizzas and you can watch him making them.