Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do when World Cup is on.

(67 Posts)
suzied Wed 13-Jun-18 05:57:09

Will you be watching? Not me - I’ll be binge watching something on Netflix, dressmaking, going to the theatre or some other diversionary tactic. I’d like to go to a remote Scottish/ Italian/Greek Island with no TV or newspapers but that’s unlikely.

Panache Wed 13-Jun-18 11:44:03

Switch off ALL T.V`s .Radio,discard all media etc...........get outside and enjoy life in the great British summer!

GabriellaG Wed 13-Jun-18 11:45:54

Luckily, I don't have to consider anyone else, besides which, football is boring and played by people who don't even represent the area where the club is based.
I'm only interested in athletics, swimming, triathlons and horseracing.
I shall be ploughing my way through 6 new books purchased on Amazon.

Spinlady70 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:52:18

All of the family and most friends are on FB messenger and I love exchanging messages. People can pick up the message straight away if they have time or answer later. I really couldn't care how they contact me as long as they do and we chat for ages when a meet up. Mobile texting is a bit of a problem as I can rarely find my mobile but then people have got used to that too..

sweetcakes Wed 13-Jun-18 11:59:31

My Husband hates football thank god so our life won't change much. Might have a look at the box sets on sky.

NannyC2 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:18:58

Looking forward to it. I always watched my son playing when he was younger. Now he coaches young children which is very rewarding.

VivNE65 Wed 13-Jun-18 12:25:53

Love that idea @Rubysong! I'll be watching the England games (hopefully in the pub with friends) and my team's players for other countries.

Diggingdoris Wed 13-Jun-18 12:31:32

I quite look forward to the sport season, footie, Wimbledon ect as it give me time to go shopping, gardening, walking, visiting friends and family, without DH grumbling. He will be glued to the box day and night so I'll have a bit of freedom. Normally he moans when I tell him I'm going out alone, and thinks we should be together all the time now we are retired. It drives me mad usually but with sport on tv he won't miss me so much.

jusnoneed Wed 13-Jun-18 12:38:34

Watching anything but football!

Oh is planning to go out with his bro to watch first match, after that I know not what is planned. If home he can watch it in his bedroom.
Son is joining mates at one of the local pubs.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:03:57

We'll ignore it as usual. Dh is just a little interested in football as I am, and thankfully in Tour de France and the European Melody Grand Prix as well.

Jan51 Wed 13-Jun-18 13:22:03

DH will probably watch most of the matches. During the day I shall be sitting in the garden if possible and in the evening I shall be knitting or crocheting with the football in the background. There is very little I want to watch on tv apart from the tea time quiz shows, don't do soaps or dramas.

tavimama Wed 13-Jun-18 13:50:15

My lovely man loves his football - I have my own portable DVD player and will happily plug myself in and pootle on the computer or knit for my charities. I actually miss it when it’s all over as I don’t often get uninterrupted coverage of my box sets (he isn’t a Walking Dead fan and I am really looking forward to watching it again) smile

Craftycat Wed 13-Jun-18 14:09:11

DH happy to watch it in study so won't have to suffer it.
Now if it was rugby I'd be glued to it!

Happysexagenarian Wed 13-Jun-18 15:02:49

We are totally disinterested in football so will avoid it like the plague. I can always find something to sew, make or dig and I would far rather be out in the garden than staring at the TV.

Overthehills Wed 13-Jun-18 15:16:06

Will keep an eye on it so as to be able to converse intelligently(?!) with DS.

wolfie1 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:24:16

hildajenni I used to think mine was the only marriage that was like this but have found out lately that it's not.

Parsley3 Wed 13-Jun-18 15:25:51

We have two tellies (Don’t judge me! ?) so himself will be watching the footie while I catch up on my black and white movies.

Sar53 Wed 13-Jun-18 16:47:41

We will be watching it together. I love football, always have and it is something we have in common. I love Wimbledon too although OH not so keen. Each to their own.

kittylester Wed 13-Jun-18 17:11:06

I won't judge you parsley, we have 4! blush

DH will watch most of it when he is at home - probably in the 'playroom' upstairs. I'll watch if it looks as though it's getting interesting.

oldgaijin Wed 13-Jun-18 17:25:40

I shall put Poldark on loop now that Aiden Turner has out torso'ed Daniel Craig coming out of the sea!

Blinko Wed 13-Jun-18 17:51:18

Who said football was only on every 4 years?? If only! I don't follow sport and fortunately neither does the OH. I do like the idea planned by Rubysong and friends, though.

pensionpat Wed 13-Jun-18 18:07:31

You can drive on empty roads when England are playing. I hope they do well. People are very cheerful then.

Foxyferret Wed 13-Jun-18 18:11:28

I actually said the World Cup was only every 4 years Blinko.

nanaK54 Wed 13-Jun-18 18:16:58

Will definitely watch the England games

Looking forward to Wimbledon too

lollee Wed 13-Jun-18 18:39:06

Yggdrasil and sodapop. My granddaughter and I are absolutely crazy Outlander fans and have read all books and watched all episodes to date. On the Diana Gabaldon website she is still writing Go Tell the Bees hoping to finish by end of year. May read them all again before i start Bees. Plenty of great box sets while footie and tennis is on, can't stand sport lol.

NotAGran55 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:18:51

I'll be watching it . Counting down the weeks until my team start again for the new season - I love it and Saturdays aren't the same when the season finishes sad