Gransnet forums

Chat

does my bum look big in this

(34 Posts)
petunia Sat 23-Jun-18 11:15:50

I’m of an age where my physique is less than perfect and I prefer to cover various bits of my anatomy by a careful selection of clothing. With a tunic or long t top I can persuade myself that I don’t really have a wobbly bottom and a sticky out belly. I know I’m only fooling myself but hey, I don’t care. So, when it comes to new clothes, I am keen to see what length that particular top is. I find the guides on online shops hard to gauge, so M+S may say “this top is modelled by a 5ft 8 model who is size 8” but that’s no help to me. I find myself thinking well I’m 5ft 3 so will that top reach my hip level or lower. And what happens when I wash it, will the only just long enough top become too short and expose my shortcomings. I have found an on line shop or two that states the exact length of tops/shirts/blouses etc, which is brilliant. I know for certain that my bum may be covered whatever it looks like on the model. So, my question is, why can’t all clothing retailers who sell on line, include the length of the top as well as the chest/waist etc? Is it too much to ask?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 24-Jun-18 14:08:59

Levi's and I suspect Wrangler, but I haven't worn Wrangler jeans in donkey's years.

rafichagran Sun 24-Jun-18 14:13:18

Pear shaped, big bum, average bust size, small waist. I kid myself that some womem pay to have a big bum, although probably not as wobbly.

123kitty Sun 24-Jun-18 14:40:14

Most online clothes quote the length measurement. I find being told the model's height a great help in judging where skirt lengths will fall on me.

Kupari45 Sun 24-Jun-18 15:04:25

I've ordered tops from Boden recently, but had to return as they were too short. When the description of the length says "Comes to hip length" its becoming obvious that the garment will hang differently on me 5ft -8ins, to that of a lady who is 5ft-2ins. I have asked them to state length of garment but they rarely do. Pity because I like the quality of their clothes.

paddyann Sun 24-Jun-18 16:15:49

I'm 5"3 and I buy from the petite ranges ,that way sleeves are the right length and tops generally long enough for me

Daisyboots Sun 24-Jun-18 16:50:20

The lady 8n Marks and Soencer toldme that they no longer sell over size 20 in the shops and that with some shops it is not over size 18. They sell larger sizes online only. Next are much the same. Bon Marche usually give the length of tops but were useless with dress lengths. Not good when you are 5'10" and what looks well below the knee on the model would look like a mini on me.

GreenGran78 Sun 24-Jun-18 21:16:51

As a 5ft nothing/size 18 I find it very difficult to find clothes that fit, at a sensible price. It’s not just a case of turning up hems, which is a pain, anyway. Sleeves reach my fingertips and waistlines often become hip lines. I would love to buy some of the beautiful long dresses, but shortening them by a foot or more would often spoil the hemline design. I am doubly cursed by having size 3 1/2 extra-wide feet, so buying shoes that don’t look like ferry boats is also almost impossible!

Urmstongran Mon 25-Jun-18 08:43:34

Doversole you just made me giggle with that last sentence! Honestly we do have some very witty GN’s. Love it ?