Gransnet forums

Chat

Yet another ridiculous advert!

(39 Posts)
phoenix Thu 28-Jun-18 20:44:44

Just now, for shampoo.

The ad focussed on sport, and winning, finished with the voice over "let nothing hold you back, not even dandruff"

Not even dandruff? shock Is dandruff known to affect your running/jumping/throwing ability?

I could just about tolerate "let nothing hold you back, especially not dandruff" but even that would have me harrumphing!

Any ads that really annoy you?

Katek Sat 30-Jun-18 16:55:05

The most cringeworthy at the moment has to be the “even a VIP has to VIPoo”! It’s appalling.

HildaW Sat 30-Jun-18 17:42:04

Katek.....yes that one really makes me squirm.

Billybob4491 Sat 30-Jun-18 17:59:23

That dreadful advert chanting "are you gonna Bingo", absolutely awful.

Charleygirl Sat 30-Jun-18 18:49:55

Is it the Purple Bricks ad where various folk end up putting their faces in cream cakes. I cannot stand it- I agree, the tenor with the cork screw mustache gets on my nerves.

Who allowed that ghastly VI POO one to leave the factory? I would never dream of buying it.

glammanana Sat 30-Jun-18 19:01:16

Have you seen how much this stuff is its unbelievable !!

sarahcyn Sat 30-Jun-18 19:15:56

I get really annoyed at the Lloyds Bank ad because a lot of riders use one of our favourite beaches. And I just KNOW some kid will think it’s OK to run up to horses waving their arms.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 20:48:24

The bloody meerkats!!
We saw some meerkats not long ago at a wildlife park - they are so lovely and I think the advert gives them a bad press! grin

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 20:52:12

I haven't seen the Anna Chancellor/Nigel Havers advert, must look out for it. It sounds like a classic.

I used to like the ones with Joan Collins and Leonard Rossiter:

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=advert+wioth+joan+collins+and+leonard&view=detail&mid=76CA78CDD62F4FDD4B5D76CA78CDD62F4FDD4B5D&FORM=VIRE
and
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=advert+wioth+joan+collins+and+leonard&&view=detail&mid=DA335FF21F95579663ACDA335FF21F95579663AC&&FORM=VDRVRV
etc!

annep Sat 30-Jun-18 21:13:16

sodapop I was about to say the tenalady advert and I noticed your post. The advert is advertising a discreet product in a totally indiscreet way. What is wrong with popping a free sample through the letterbox anyway as they used to do? And dont get me started on the toilet poo spray!

HildaW Sun 01-Jul-18 11:20:06

annep, I too loathe all the 'in your face' way discrete products are advertised. Its true that in the past too much secrecy and embarrassment led to some people having a hard time. Years ago at school, if a girl was caught short at a certain time of the month she would have to creep to the toilets and dissolve into floods of tears and probably be traumatised for years....but I feel the pendulum has swung too far....a little decorum with certain bodily functions would not go amiss.

Katek Sun 01-Jul-18 11:38:03

And don’t start me on the Sun Life Over 50 ad with June in her slippers and the friendly neighbour with too many parsnips! He also lurks in his conservatory with powerful binoculars........hmmm.

Melanieeastanglia Sun 01-Jul-18 11:59:41

I don't like ads for gambling on-line. People can get sucked in and it can be dangerous. Yes, I know betting shops exist but you have to go out of your way to get there and it isn't quite so constant. With a computer, you could bet on things 24 hours a day.

Eglantine21 Sun 01-Jul-18 12:05:54

The one that puzzles me at the moment is where there are lots of paper plane letters flying between people at home, at work, on holiday etc. The letter flies in, someone catches it, is really pleased to have got a letter.

It’s an advert for BTconfused