Gransnet forums

Chat

remember

(52 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 06-Jul-18 01:23:13

My mum remembered kids running around barefoot, never owned a pair of shoes.
My mum remembered the lamplighter with his ladder lighting the street lights.
I remember the rag and bone man with his horse and cart, calling out "Old iron, lumber, rag BONE!
I remember the park keeper locking the gates and shouting at us kids to 'clear orf!'
When your grandchildren reach our age, what will they remember?

oldgoat Fri 06-Jul-18 07:15:36

Well, I'm not sure what the grandchildren will remember mrsmopp but I remember growing up in a house with no hot running water, an outside lavatory - with spiders, and chamber pots for night time use. The living room was lit by gas lights with mantles that used to pop and we were taken up to bed by candle light. All so different from now.

annsixty Fri 06-Jul-18 07:32:40

It is too early to say what our GC will remember but our C will remember when you had to go into the hall to use the phone, if you were out you had to look for a kiosk to make a call.
You had to get out of your chair to change the tv channel over to one of the 4 channels available.
You had to go to the supermarket between the hours of 9am and 6 pm to buy groceries and never any shopping on Sundays.
So many more things I will remember but I have to get my day started now so must get going.

Oldwoman70 Fri 06-Jul-18 07:34:14

I remember my father telling me how excited he was when they moved into a house with electric lights! He said he ran from room to room switching them all on.

I remember having to walk to a phone box to make a phone call (not done very often),
I remember when we got our first TV (very small and, of course, black and white),
I remember walking several miles to take things, in an old pram, to the rag merchant who gave us a few pennies for it.
I remember the man who sold lemonade from the back of his truck
I remember playing marbles in the gutter

loopyloo Fri 06-Jul-18 07:39:55

I can remember the house being freezing cold and being allowed to get dressed in front of the fire my mother had lit in the sitting room. Also going to the grocers and seeing the foods in big bags that the man dished up as requested.
Also my brother couldn't afford a fridge so they had an OH so cool that you put water in the top and it evaporated.

mrsmopp Fri 06-Jul-18 08:07:14

Ice patterns on the glass. School milk at playtime. Having to buy bread early on Saturday morning before they sold out. Early closing day on Wednesdays. Queuing up at the phone kiosk to make a call. Putting more money in when the pips went. Navy blue knickers with a pocket for your hanky.

Grandma70s Fri 06-Jul-18 08:25:07

Ice and frost patterns on the insides of bedroom windows.

At my grandmother’s in the country, milk was delivered by horse and cart (not unusual), and ladled from churns into the jugs my grandmother left on the doorstep.

Huddling round the fire and legs getting red and mottled as a result.

Being cold a lot of the time, not surprising since no girls wore tights (except for ballet) or trousers. Long socks, but bare knees however cold the weather - for boys too.

Not sure what my grandchildren will remember. Learning to do handwriting, which may be extinct by the time they grow up?

DanniRae Fri 06-Jul-18 08:28:24

I remember the ice on top of the school milk pushing off the lid and how awful it tasted in the summer when it was hot. Writing with those pens that you dipped in ink and the nib crossing and splattering ink all over your school book.
Those ankle socks that never stayed up and how good it was when stretchy ones came along.
All the games we played in the street - hopscotch, jacks, hide n'seek, knock down ginger, kiss chase!!
I am sure I will think of lots more memories...........smile

Nanabilly Fri 06-Jul-18 08:30:43

I can't remember some of the things been mentioned but I do remember the rag and bone man , I loved to get a balloon from him so me and my sisters could share it by playing unlike a single lollipop which was more difficult to share ..yuk !
I remember waking up in winter and the net curtains being frozen to the windows.
I remember going to the local shop and watching the man behind the counter using butter pate to shape a chunk of butter from a huge block of it and then wrapping it in greaseproof paper.
...the bags of crisps with a blue wrap of salt.
...bread and dripping , I loved the brown bits.
...saving for our bottom drawer.
...having to do what mum and dad say ..or else!
...tipping up my wages to mum and getting just enough back to get me to work and back for the next week.

Anannymous Fri 06-Jul-18 08:58:33

Oh yes toast and dripping with lots of salt.
Going to the Isle of Wight for our holidays.
Having a bath once a week on a Sunday in a freezing cold bathroom heated by an oil heater.
Dixon of Dock Green.
Party Line telephone.
Dad always having trouble lighting the fire and mum making spills? out of newspaper and holding sheets of newspaper in front of the fire to get it going.

Maybelle Fri 06-Jul-18 08:59:24

I remember the muffin man with cart and bell, call his wares you d the streets.
I remember bath nught, weekly
I remember going out to play all day, and walking miles down canal tow paths alone at 9 years old

mrsmopp Fri 06-Jul-18 09:20:33

Winning a goldfish at the fair. They were always dead next day. Happened more than once.
Mum telling me a woman's place is in the home. College education a waste of time for girls, your destiny was to be a wife and mother.

Chewbacca Fri 06-Jul-18 09:32:31

I remember having to switch the wireless on a few minutes before your programme actually started so that it could "warm up".
I remember the tin bath being dragged in from the back yard on a Sunday night and being filled with endless kettles and pans of hot water from the stove, so that we could have our weekly bath.
I remember walking 3 miles, there and back, to infant school and having a smog mask on.
I remember when only one grocers shop opened on a Sunday and that was for just 2 hours in the morning.
I remember seeing women kneeling at their front doors and donkey stoning their steps.

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Jul-18 09:34:38

I too remember the day and bone man with his horse and cart.
The Betterware man who came door to door with his goods and samples in a brown case.
Having to use a telephone box to make a call. (Not often needed but there was one across the street).
Walking to school.
School socks with garters to hold them up. (Not very successfully).
The pop man who delivered lemonade etc from the back of a wagon.
The weekly visit of the rent man.
Riding my bike for miles in the countryside around my home town.
Using the bus to get anywhere.
No cars parked along the road beside the houses. (Nobody owned a car).

Goodness knows what our grandchildren will remember from their childhood. Things are changing so quickly.
Will it be filling the car from a petrol pump?

annodomini Fri 06-Jul-18 09:35:36

Four TV channels, ann60? When we got our first TV in 1952 it was one channel and a screen no bigger than a modern i-Pad. There was a programme for the mums (Leisure and Pleasure) in the afternoons, Andy Pandy for the little ones and evening programmes ended at about 10pm.
I remember when the doctor came to call and we never had togotothe surgery. There was the Co-op horse-drawn baker's van with the driver calling 'bak-e-e-e-r' in a voice that echoed up and down the road. I remember when my dad sometimes had to use a cranking handle to start our pre-war Morris 12. I remember biking down to the food office to collect coupons for when we went on holiday to granny's. But I can't remember where I'v left my phone!

Witzend Fri 06-Jul-18 09:39:31

No idea what Gdcs will remember. Maybe mummy or daddy driving, after all cars have become driverless?

One thing I remember from when I was very small, that dd's used to find screamingly funny, was the milkman coming with a horse! To them that was seriously 'olden days' stuff.

I'm glad neither dds nor Gdcs will ever have to remember how bloody freezing a house with no central heating could be!

ninathenana Fri 06-Jul-18 10:15:02

I fortunate enough to grow up in a house with an indoor bathroom but the only heating in the house was an open fire in the living room. I remember my mum turning all the gas jets on to heat the kitchen when she was ironing. I remember her doing the laundry in "the copper" I remember going to the phone box, we didn't have a phone until I was 16. I remember the Corona man delivering and the mobile fruit n veg shop. I remember being sent to the local shop which was a 10-15 min walk from the age of 7 with the money wrapped in a note saying what mum wanted. In the winter this would be tucked in my mitten. I remember mum n dad going to work on their bicycles. They never did own a car. I remember my friend and I taking ourselves off with jam sarnies and a bottle of squash to spend the day on the beach and swim in the sea aged about 10. (Can you imagin that now) We did this most days in summer.

KatyK Fri 06-Jul-18 10:20:45

I can remember many of these things. The milkman with a horse, the coalman bringing sacks of coal on his horse drawn wagon. I can remember the excitement of seeing a huge steamroller trundling down the street to re-surface the road. All the local kids would come out to watch. We played kick the can with an old tin.There were 7 of us siblings and I can remember my mother bringing the tin bath in and us all getting in one after the other in front of the fire (cleanest in first). She had to boil kettles to fill it. If we had a hole in our shoe she would cut a shoe shape out of a cornflake box and put it in the shoe (great when it rained!). I can remember going with her to collect the Co-op dividend. I bet those of you of a certain age can remember your mum's Co-op divi number. I know I can.

Katek Fri 06-Jul-18 10:36:16

13435 KatyK! That was my granny’s number.

KatyK Fri 06-Jul-18 10:51:53

It's amazing how these things stick in your head!

Katek Fri 06-Jul-18 11:23:47

Very true! I can still remember her phone number as well from when areas had names and not dialling codes.

PECS Fri 06-Jul-18 11:35:57

'Ladies' only train carriages!
Dirty Dan the flashing man on the bus.
sweet cigarettes
Going 'out back' at nana's to pee.
Paying 1/6d to see Billy J Kramer and a host of others at the Odeon & a host of other 'stars' at live gigs locally, in small venues.

Greyduster Fri 06-Jul-18 11:40:52

I don’t know what my GC will remember but my own children will no doubt remember the first mobile phones, which were almost as big as housebricks with a stubby ariel thing on the top, and how that technology came so far in the space of thirty or forty years to what we have now. Likewise the very basic video games they thought were awesome, and riding in cars without seatbelts or radios. Sure there are loads of others.....

Mapleleaf Fri 06-Jul-18 12:08:11

I remember the rag and bone man, too.
And frost on the inside of the single glazed windows in the bedroom. No central heating in the council houses until they were modernised in the early 70’s.
I remember, too, the milk being delivered in bottles to the doorstep every morning and how it would be frozen in the winter.
We also had cream at the top of the milk, and the bluetits would sometimes peck the foil lid to get at it it!

I remember ambulances were a cream colour when I was very young and they rang with a bell rather than a siren.

Yes, I also remember there being a Park Keeper who chased us children out of the rose garden if we weren’t with an adult and who locked the gates at night.

Shops, too, not open on Sundays, and half day closing on Wednesdays! No 24 hour opening, either.

There’s lots of other things, too, but these are the ones I remember to be going on with. 😁

sparkly1000 Fri 06-Jul-18 12:12:24

Bus conductors
Green Shield stamps
1d gobstoppers and 6d Lucky Bags
Dust sheets everywhere when the chimney sweep came
Dad pulling the choke in the car on cold days
Goldfish bowls
Get a Tiger in your tank
Davy Crockett