Gransnet forums

Chat

Teen grand kids

(45 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 07-Jul-18 08:01:14

Do other G netters have mid teenage grandkids ?and find it difficult At the moment I have two teenage girls ( sisters) staying with me and a teen girl cousin who is popping in and out
There is a fair bit of bitching going on between the sisters and then there is the obligatory not going to bed till very late and not wanting to get up to do anything before ... what I think of as half the day gone, the constant phones, Love island or the music channels on TV, Make up in bags you can hardly lift ( and they all look unmade when it’s all on very subtle)the hairstraighteners lying around, the stepped out of clothes.
Don’t get me wrong I love them all to bits and they re good kids but give me a baby to look after any time
This is tongue in cheek I m not looking for advice ?

Daftnan Sun 08-Jul-18 10:32:37

BlueBelle, I too have 3 DGDs, 9, 11, and 13. They all come with iphones, more than enough clothes, and enough makeup to sink the Titanic! I engage them all by offering up my body. I get my makeup done, hair done, nails done, clothes sorted out, then off we go to the cafe. I don't look in the mirror till later. Luckily we are quite well known at the cafe so no comments are made other than complimentary ones! So for a few hours the iphones are forgotten and we have a wonderful fun time, aren't we Grans a lucky bunch?

Barmeyoldbat Sun 08-Jul-18 11:11:36

My son never daylight at weekends when he was inches teens and his children, my gc, are no different. I just ignore the mess, leave them to sort out their food and warn them if they keep me awake at night with their noise then I will wake them early in the morning with my noise. Enjoy it, it doesn't last forever.

tigger Sun 08-Jul-18 12:18:15

Throw it all in their bedrooms and close the door

icanhandthemback Sun 08-Jul-18 12:32:34

I'll swap you your teenagers for my mother! Believe me, I'd sooner have loads of messy teenagers than one incontinent, stubborn, contentious old lady who can inflict a tongue wound at a 1000 paces. grin

annifrance Sun 08-Jul-18 13:38:09

I'm trembling in my boots as to what is to come!! DGD1 is 10 looks 14 but still a child thank goodness. DGS 10 tomorrow so not long to go. at the moment all three are delightful.

My response to any dad of a teenage girl is buy them a pony, it keeps them off the streets! the farmer next door is not impressed that I am on the side of his 14 yr old daughter!

sodapop Sun 08-Jul-18 16:42:22

You are definitely right about the pony annifrance My daughter got her first one at 13 on the understanding the responsibility was all hers. She was so tired after cycling to the farm twice a day before and after school that she didn't get up to mischief.

Purpledaffodil Sun 08-Jul-18 16:50:54

You rotten lot! DD has just found out the baby she is expecting is a girl. We are so excited cos we don’t see beyond little pink babygros and pretty frocks! Trust GN to give me a reality check! ?

grandMattie Sun 08-Jul-18 17:18:41

Yes, yes, yes Icanhandthemback. How I agree - teenage angst is fleeting; old age cruelty is permanent and SO wounding! especially when accompanied with the attendent guilt... what is it with us women?
I can't tell you how unkind my DPs especially DF were when alive [and that goes for sisters too, may I add - they learned from a very good school! sad]

Solitaire Sun 08-Jul-18 17:27:58

This teen phase passes?....when? My 40 yr old daughter hasn't gone through metamorphosis, she remains in the teen stage still.
She is the eternal caterpillar munching her way, destroying everything in her wake, enjoying confrontation at every opportunity, without the prospect of an emerging butterfly at some point which will float away in the distance.
No hope of any change at this point.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Jul-18 18:10:35

They ve just come in from retail therapy very exited at all their wares ( which look exactly the same as their last lot of purchases) the rap music is blaring our upstairs and I ve just trodden on some fake nails nearly jumped out my skin thought it was some crunchy beetle
I cleaned the rooms whilst they were out but every room now has a trail to and from it How can three pretty girls cause the destruction of an erupting volcano
It will be very quiet when they go home I do love them I hope when they are old they ll look back on these moments with happiness

trisher Sun 08-Jul-18 18:28:03

My DGD (aged 5) brushed my hair while we were getting ready for school last week. I quickly fastened it in a clip on top of my head and rushed off to deliver her and DGS to nursery and school. It was only later I realised she had given me a plait at the front. I am now dreading the transformation she will perform when she gets older!

Jalima1108 Sun 08-Jul-18 18:35:51

grin

DGD2 is very into 'plaiting' at the moment - however, I have just had my hair cut short (sorry DGD!)

tavimama Sun 08-Jul-18 21:02:56

I have 14 year old twin daughters. I pray for patience and spend a LOT of time trying not to let my (only child and can’t handle hormones) DH go in their sty/bedroom! As my darling Mum says - it only lasts a lifetime grin

BlueBelle Sun 08-Jul-18 21:16:56

I ve just taken the youngest (12) for a 8 pm swim in the sea she loved it watching the sun going down Hope amongst all the chaos she has some good memories with me

grannyqueenie Sun 08-Jul-18 22:07:12

Nothing quite like making these memories bluebelle, you’ll never forget these times and in the fullness of time neither will she!

Fennel Mon 09-Jul-18 09:28:54

Ours are all in their teens, apart from the oldest who is 21.
Sadly we don't see them often as they all live abroad.
When we had some of them to visit in France they were no problem at all. Perhaps because of the contrast with the enclosed urban life they're used to. So different and interesting things to see and comparative freedom.
We'll all miss those times, but happy memories.

annep Mon 09-Jul-18 10:17:31

You are all so very lucky!. I have never ever had the pleasure of my four older gc staying on their own ever. They are virtual strangers. I am going to look after my daughters two little boys in two weeks for a week while she starts back at work. Although I will be shattered (M.E.) I am so looking forward to it.
I once suggested going to my GDs favourite place Nandos and they said No. Their friends might see them with their granny! Needless to say I never suggested going out again.

annep Mon 09-Jul-18 10:19:29

Daughter in different country unfortunately.

grannyactivist Mon 09-Jul-18 10:29:50

ican you are speaking my words! smile