Gransnet forums

Chat

Funeral clothes

(68 Posts)
Luckylegs Tue 10-Jul-18 10:53:50

When in doubt, ask GN! We have a funeral this afternoon of an old friend who we haven’t seen for quite a long time but there will be a big group of ex Fire Brigade colleagues who are all like family.. I don’t know what to wear! I do have black trousers, skirts, dresses etc but there seems to be a trend for less total black at funerals plus there’s the heat! OH says just put anything on (very helpful) but I’m worrying I won’t look sufficiently in mourning. I also want to look quite nice, not like a black crow! Any ideas please?

willa45 Wed 11-Jul-18 17:50:34

I guess it's too late since I live six hours away, but here's my two cents anyway. When it's too hot for dark colors at a funeral, stick to neutrals and stay away from primary crayon and bright prints.

Any gray, white or blue linen trouser can be combined with a loose jacket. Add a print camisole underneath (or sleeveless blouse) in a geometric or understated floral print etc. Stick to small jewelry and compensate with a pair of nice sunglasses....finish the look with leather shoes and a small purse.

Mamar2 Wed 11-Jul-18 19:31:03

The last funeral I went to was my husband's Aunty. I wore black trousers, a light blue blouse & a blue jacket. A life is to be celebrated.

MawBroon Wed 11-Jul-18 22:29:35

I think we all have a pretty good idea of what is appropriate and it is if anything easier when it is close family. I wore charcoal grey to Paws funeral, two DDs wore black and one wore a lovely cobalt blue jacket with navy trousers, they all looked lovely. The DGSs (7 and 6) wore dark green cord trousers and shirts and navy jumpers with a green snowflake pattern, special but not funereal if you see what I mean.
It is harder for people you know less well, and whatever the wishes of the family I would feel wrong in a bright colour so have in the past worn neutral colours, cream, grey or perhaps navy and a camel coat in winter.

Blue45Sapphire Wed 11-Jul-18 22:30:39

When my DH died I asked people to try not to wear black, as I had no intention of wearing black. It was in March; I wore a pale blue dress with a light navy coat. I don't think it matters so much these days what people wear to funerals.

MawBroon Wed 11-Jul-18 22:34:39

I had forgotten it was so recent bluesapphire.
I won’t ask how you are doing, because it is so hard to answer that, but I do think of you, aggie, alygran and all those I know of who have been bereaved. flowers

grannyticktock Wed 11-Jul-18 22:47:30

When my husband died,I didn't want to wear black (I hate black) or have to witness a sea of black-clad mourners. I said to people, "Please come as your familiar, brightly coloured selves". I wore a dark blue patterned tunic top that was just the sort of thing he liked to see me wear.

I think the main thing is to look as if you've given the occasion some thought and not just popped in on your way back from Sainsburys.

Hm999 Wed 11-Jul-18 23:29:14

I went to a neighbour's funeral a few years ago in my work black suit, and felt quite uncomfortable as only her family wore black. I felt as if it looked like I felt I was mourning more than other people.
Black patterned dress was what I wore to the last one I attended - the spouse of a former work colleague.

maddy629 Thu 12-Jul-18 06:25:30

If you don't want to wear black, what about white? Perhaps not all white, I know that is sometimes difficult but white with a small amount of black would be acceptable. After all in some countries white is the colour of mourning.

ginny Thu 12-Jul-18 07:16:03

Personally I don’t see that it matters what colour you wear or what type of clothes. The fact that someone attends is the mark of respect.
Love the idea of people wearing the type of clothes that would have worn to spend time with the deceased.

varian Thu 12-Jul-18 16:48:47

At one funeral we were at where the deceased was a keen sailor, her husband and the sons, sons in law and grandson who carried the coffin all wore sailing clothes emblazened with the name of the boat which had been named after her.

Grammaretto Thu 12-Jul-18 17:00:22

I was at a funeral of a fairly young man recently and was surprised that his contemporaries, colleagues I think, came wearing tight shiny black suits which looked hot and uncomfortable. I wondered if they had bought them specially. It seemed a shame. Why not wear something you'd usually wear to something quite formal, such as a concert or graduation or lecture but without dressing it up. Leave your make up and jewellery behind.

kwest Fri 13-Jul-18 00:53:09

I recently attended the funeral of a friend/colleague's husband. I didn't feel that it would be appropriate to intrude upon her grief by asking her about dress codes. It was a boiling hot day and I wore navy trousers with a grey top. Simple but quite smart. I went with another friend who also wore simple dark clothes but neither of us wore black in case it seemed a bit presumptuous,as if we were muscling in on the family's grief. Big mistake. Everyone else was in traditional black. We felt a bit under-dressed as if we were being disrespectful. Retrospectively we should have asked about the dress code.

HillyN Fri 13-Jul-18 09:19:20

I usually opt for black trousers and a neutral top, as others have suggested. I'm glad dress codes are more relaxed these days. I remember when my Grandma died (about 30 years ago) I wore a black skirt and black top with flowers on it. I had just come back from a holiday abroad and as it was very hot and I had tanned legs I went bare-legged with black sandals. My Mum went mad at me afterwards, saying it was very disrespectful to go bare-legged!

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 09:53:54

Grey is respectful and looks good, I think.
My extended family still go for black so I don’t rock the boat.
A friend loved colourful clothes, out of respect for her family (no request re dress) her friends wore black but with bright ties or scarves.

sluttygran Fri 13-Jul-18 23:14:34

I think black for funerals is very outdated. Just dress quietly to show respect - unless the deceased has made it clear that they wanted a bright and cheerful send off!

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jul-18 23:17:49

I have a lovely black tunic top, just plain, but it has rainbow coloured tassels down each side.
I wear it to funerals all the time, seeing as they seem to be the only days out I get these days.

Nonnatimesfour Tue 17-Jul-18 13:40:44

There are three mourning colours : Black, Red and Purple and in other countries even white. I would probably wear black trousers with a purple top.