Gransnet forums

Chat

Hot weather? how much longer?

(109 Posts)
oldbatty Sat 14-Jul-18 18:57:09

does anybody have any idea please? So much for Bill King the amateur meteorologist!!!!

luluaugust Thu 19-Jul-18 17:50:38

The DGC break up this week and we have visitors soon, so I guess it will finish around 1st August.

Iam64 Thu 19-Jul-18 17:21:14

Autumn is starting early, with dry, copper coloured leaves on the trees and falling from the trees.
The fires on Saddleworth moor and Winter Hill are controlled though crews are on standby in their vicinity. The damage to the echo system is not yet fully understood, though it’s significant

FlexibleFriend Thu 19-Jul-18 15:36:34

I'm English and have my windows open all year round. I like sunlight so I'm not going to sit in the dark. My garden looks ok depending on where you look , the pots are fine but some of my shrubs are looking very poorly. I had the hose on a couple of acers yesterday evening because the leaves were very crumpled and falling and they're not even in the sun. Might pop out and see how they're doing in a minute.

Alexa Thu 19-Jul-18 14:10:46

Is it Britain's early experience of global warming? I enjoy the warmth and sun however there are big changes to diets and water usage about to happen what with Brexit too.

NfkDumpling Thu 19-Jul-18 14:05:25

I was wondering about those fires Iam as there’s been several straw blazes in Norfolk, some while the combines are working.

Still no rain here. There’s still a yellow warning of thunder storms from the Met office for tomorrow, but the chance of rain has dropped from 60% to 40% and now5%!

Iam64 Wed 18-Jul-18 08:23:57

We are just north of Manchester Nellie - we've had two absolute downpours, thankfully. The moorland fires are still being controlled by fire crews and volunteers but in smaller groups than previously.
The lawns around here are already looking less dead, it's amazing how quickly they recover.
I'm enjoying the change in weather, it's part of the joy of living in the UK.

Nelliemoser Wed 18-Jul-18 00:20:36

No rain here in Cheshire yet. At least its cooler. Those days of over 25C nearly finished me off.
I cannot cope with 30C I felt a whole lot better when it had cooled down a bit.

Iam64 Tue 17-Jul-18 20:54:43

Nope, not being smug, not accusing anyone here of moaning about the weather - just saying I don't intend to moan about the weather.

watermeadow Tue 17-Jul-18 20:36:15

Hurrah! Cooler the last 2 days and a welcome breeze. I’ve done some of the many outdoor jobs I couldn't do in the blazing sun. The garden looks awful but I’ve watered selectively early every morning, baling out my bath water (bathroom on ground floor)

Grandma70s Tue 17-Jul-18 09:08:35

I’ve been in the London/Bucks/Herts area visiting my family over the weekend. It was HOT. My son went to a lot of trouble to make me comfortable, including a portable air conditioning unit in my bedroom. I bet they’re glad to have that back now I’m back home. My brother, in his 80s, had a birthday garden party, and again had taken care to provide as much shade as possible, so it could have been worse. The children ran around in the sun playing hide and seek all afternoon, and appeared to come to no harm

When I arrived home in the north-west yesterday, the temperature was about 22 and it was raining! Bliss. It hadn’t rained for many, many weeks.

Fennel Tue 17-Jul-18 09:03:22

Another deluge here last night - the air smell fresh today.

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 08:57:12

Who is moaning Iam? Is sharing how one finds the heat difficult - moaning?

Smugness is just as irritating , perhaps more so .

Iam64 Tue 17-Jul-18 08:47:44

I can't sit in it or sunbathe but that is a small price to pay for blue skies and warmth.
We are to have a hosepipe ban in early August if there isn't a lot of rain in the meantime. The weather forecast says the heat and drought will continue for the next month. Our local reservoirs are pretty much empty so its as well we have water in the Lakes.
Our houses are not prepared for extremes of weather so we have to make the best of whatever arrives don't we. We haven't had a summer like this since 1976 - we may never have another in my life time. I don't intend to waste time or energy moaning about it.

oldbatty Tue 17-Jul-18 08:46:45

instead of fashion police we now have heat police!!!!

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 08:38:43

I remember the summer of 1983 , I was 35 years younger, not housebound and not living in a tiny one bedroomed bungalow . If I kept curtains closed I couldn’t even see the birds.

And I am not English, not silly, just very tired from lack of sleep.

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Jul-18 22:27:15

Sorry, stevej4491

Mapleleaf Mon 16-Jul-18 22:24:23

stevej4481, I looked back at the post from callgirl and she didn’t mention housework, what she did say was that carrying on as normal was harder in this heat and that she only really enjoys this heat when on holiday. No need for you to call her a silly woman. All sorts of things have to be done, whatever the weather, including for example, food shopping, going to work (if not retired), going to the doctor, etc, etc. Oh, and why pick on the English specifically?

gmelon Mon 16-Jul-18 00:40:15

stevej4491 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:03:47
It's no good moaning about the heat indoors.Keep windows closed and draw the blinds/curtains as soon as sun comes into room. It's only the stupid English who open all their windows.
I must disagree.
My curtains are always closed and windows are never open.
House is like an oven.

notanan2 Sun 15-Jul-18 23:47:16

Im so used to it now it'll be a shock to the system when it ends! I've forgotten how to dress for chilly weather I think grin its so nice to not need layers or to carry round cardies or sweaters

fluttERBY123 Sun 15-Jul-18 23:02:05

www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

It's all about the jetstream. The thick red bits either pull down the cold air or pull up the hot. So it looks as if this will last on and off till end of month.

You can animate the map you should get from the above link. It shows the next 14 days.

maddy629 Sun 15-Jul-18 22:58:15

It's about time it stopped, I hate it, we need some rain, the sooner the better.

Maggiemaybe Sun 15-Jul-18 22:38:36

callgirl ,don't carryon as normal,the weather will cool down soon enough,House work will still be there,just do what's really necessary.You have a typically English attitude,silly woman.

stevej4491. What a charmer you are. You have no idea what callgirl’s circumstances are and what her normality is. She didn’t mention housework, and may well have more important matters to attend to that she can’t just drop.

A bit of respect and consideration for other posters wouldn’t come amiss.

Peardrop50 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:24:36

I love being outdoors, eating lovely salads al fresco, friends dropping by, crunching across the garden is like walking on Weetabix, got a bit of a gentle tan and L'Oreal light brown hair turning blonde. I love it, love, love it. There was quite a strong westerly sea breeze on Anglesey today so quite a bit cooler. B UT that's selfish of me.
Our farmers are desperate for rain, the farmer next door usually gets 95 bales from 19 acres, this week he managed 35. Rain all night and sun all day would be perfect. Pleeeeease. Amen

oldbatty Sun 15-Jul-18 21:06:59

What nationality are you please?

stevej4491 Sun 15-Jul-18 21:03:47

It's no good moaning about the heat indoors.Keep windows closed and draw the blinds/curtains as soon as sun comes into room. It's only the stupid English who open all their windows.