Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal christening pics

(114 Posts)
Nannylovesshopping Mon 16-Jul-18 13:55:17

Just seen pics of Prince Louis and his family, what a happy little fella he is?

gillybob Tue 17-Jul-18 12:14:33

Kates hat thingy, reminded me of one worn by one of the wives of Henry VIIII . Can’t remember which one though . I don’t see why they couldn’t have traditional but modern photographs.

SueDonim Tue 17-Jul-18 12:34:04

Yes, it did - you're right! grin I've just Googled images of Henry VIII's wives and they all seem to have a variation on the theme. Catherine of Aragon had what looks like a splendid garden gazebo on her head in one of them.

Personally, I think the clothes are ok. It's a formal occasion, I guess, and it could be worse - sailor suits!!

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 12:36:41

A professional family photograph,what is outdated about that? Should they all have stood at a bar?

George’s clothes are what little boys attending private schools wear , should he wear jeans and a tee shirt or perhaps a football or rugby shirt?

SueDonim Tue 17-Jul-18 12:49:07

How about a World Cup 2018 football strip, Annie, so everyone can see at a glance when the photo was taken. wink

Grandma70s Tue 17-Jul-18 12:50:46

I think the children’s clothes are absolutely lovely. If only all children looked like that on formal occasions. I don’t suppose they dress like that if they are just playing.

TerriBull Tue 17-Jul-18 12:55:26

Kate appears radiant and very happy, baby Louis looks a little bit like big brother George, shame they had to put George in something akin to a girl's blouse. Charlotte very cute in one of her many little girl smock dresses, I had some of those all those years ago, they don't really date. I think Charlotte takes after her great grandmother the Queen such a family likeness imo. Finally, I really liked Camilla's hat, thought it looked quite Edwardian in a good way.

merlotgran Tue 17-Jul-18 13:04:41

George's clothes are nothing like his school uniform, annie which is up to date with other schools.

All we're saying is George's clothes appear outdated whereas Charlotte is wearing what any little girl would wear to a christening.

The jeans and tee shirt comment is unnecessary because nobody would expect him to be wearing that.

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 13:22:14

but merlot, the child wore a short sleeved shirt, how can that be called a blouse

Grandma70s Tue 17-Jul-18 14:04:14

What do you think George should be wearing? I think he looks perfect.

Rosina Tue 17-Jul-18 14:29:04

Louis has pretty impressive eyebrows - on trend!

MissAdventure Tue 17-Jul-18 14:36:08

How about a pair of jeans?
Skinny ones, like most children his age are wearing.
A smart pair of chinos?

Aepgirl Tue 17-Jul-18 14:40:16

If Meghan is such an independent woman why does she feel the need to cling on to Harry's arm. I wonder if she's afraid of falling off her shoes.

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 14:42:59

I haven’t recovered from seeing a little boy in a pram wearing denim trousers, denim shirt and a denim cap .

Jeans for baptism or wedding services - no

123coco Tue 17-Jul-18 15:01:15

Heavens above. If you haven’t go anything good to say about Meghan Markle the dont say anything. She’ s in a new country away from all her friends and thrust into the limelight and into the House of Windsor. Shes had a lot of public appointments which Saint Kate never had to do early on. Cut her some slack or is it racism Im wondering.? The comments last week about her were despicable. The Firm have already dulled her down !

Grandma70s Tue 17-Jul-18 15:07:36

He’s only four! Most little boys his age wear shorts in hot weather. I hate to see children dressed like adults. Fashion should be more or less irrelevant at that age.

Jeans would have been both unsuitable and uncomfortable. I saw a lot of young children at my brother’s birthday party at the weekend. It was in the garden and not at all formal. Not one child was wearing jeans. Boys and girls alike wore shorts and tee shirts. George was wearing the formal equivalent of a tee shirt.

Sheilasue Tue 17-Jul-18 15:12:46

I don’t think Duchess of Sussex is unhappy just nervous and a bit worried she’s taken on a massive responsibility and being American it’s going to take a while for her to get used to royal protocol.
I remembered when Kate first joined the royal family she always looked nervous and timid but she’s doing well now
I think her fashion sense has gone out the window a bit the hat she wore to the chrisening was something the queen mother would have worn.

Anniebach Tue 17-Jul-18 15:19:31

Why again has racism been brought into this? Too ask racism is the reason for not liking the colour of a dress or why the need to grip someone’s arm just for a photograph says more about the one who asks .

As for in a new country, she is still in the West , and she has never shrunk from the limelight , all the photographs on line of her posing at events with no arm to clutch .

lizzypopbottle Tue 17-Jul-18 15:39:28

If I was at a do and standing beside my husband, I'd take his arm. What's more natural than that?

Blinko Tue 17-Jul-18 15:47:53

I've just seen that lovely pic of Prince Louis. He reminded me of someone, at first I couldn't quite place who. Then it dawned on me, Prince Charles that's who. It's the smiling eyes, I think.

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Jul-18 15:57:10

I know the Duchess of Sussex is used to posing for photographs but, posing as an actress must be very different from posing for official photographs as part of our very traditional and protocol driven royal family.
Before anyone shouts at me, that is not a criticism of our royal family!

notanan2 Tue 17-Jul-18 16:05:26

If you haven’t go anything good to say about Meghan Markle the dont say anything.

It is not unkind to notice if someone is looking unhappy...its usually the opposite.

The way she has been looking makes me worry for her

specki4eyes Tue 17-Jul-18 16:06:18

For goodness' sake, leave Meghan alone! Don't you think she has enough on her plate with that poisonous father and half siblings troubling her with their vile comments 24/7. She looks lovely, her clothes are stunning and she loves her new husband - be happy for her and him!

notanan2 Tue 17-Jul-18 16:11:05

I would be happy to see her looking happy...but she hasn't been ?

Lilyflower Tue 17-Jul-18 16:14:05

Princess Charlotte looks so like the Queen it is uncanny.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Jul-18 16:16:01

Kate comes from a loving family and this reflects on the love she shows to her own children. It was a pity Her Majesty was not on the photos of Prince Louis's christening. Was it so essential for Meghan to do her 'clutching arm' act. Could she not just for once, and as these photographs will no doubt go into the Windsor archives, detach herself from her husband's body? I do
not believe it gives her a feeling of security but creates attention and maybe this is what she craves when all eyes are on Kate.