Gransnet forums

Chat

Hats!

(100 Posts)
MissAdventure Fri 27-Jul-18 23:10:30

Do you wear them, either in cold weather, or the kind we've had lately?
I'm asking because I think my scalp is sunburned, so I feel I am going to have to wear one, and I always feel a bit silly.

annep Sat 28-Jul-18 08:32:12

grannyactivist that was very nice of you.

maytime2 Sat 28-Jul-18 09:43:39

MiniMoon I know exactly where your 're coming from. Every hat I try on is too big but more importantly they also age me by about ten years instantly. I do not do hats!

annodomini Sat 28-Jul-18 10:05:02

Beanie hats make me look like a clootie dumpling and never get as far as covering my ears, so I don't bother with them. I've reduced my fine collection of sunhats by sending them to a charity shop. But I've kept my wide brimmed grey linen one which protects the back of my neck. When we were teenagers, my sisters and I used to try on the fancy hats in an Edinburgh department store, usually managing to escape the attention of the sales staff. I got a taste for smart hats for all the weddings I attended in my 20s.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 10:38:36

I just bought a sun hat but I think it made my head hotter still.

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 10:40:23

I think I might scour the charity shops today. (Any excuse!)

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 10:51:22

I'm starting a new job on Monday, and my journey there involves walking along the seafront for a good 15/20 mins.
envy MissA

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 10:52:00

not the new job, although I hope you enjoy it, the walk along the seafront.

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 10:55:21

Well, I've spent most of this last week or two schlepping along various routes to try and find the quickest way, jalima.
Hence my constant complaining about the weather! smile
Lets see if I can learn to embrace the sea air. (In the winter too!)

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 10:59:54

Bracing!

travelsafar Sat 28-Jul-18 11:01:32

i have a floppy cotton hat with green lining which i bought when at the seaside one year, it was so hot and sunglasses were not enough. I wear it when i am playing bowls. I dont care itf i look funny or not out there on the green in the hot sun you have to be sensible. Only thing i dont like is that when we go into the club house for tea and take hats off your hair looks a fright!!! smile Mind you everyone is the same apart from those with no hair of course.

goldengirl Sat 28-Jul-18 11:49:41

I love hats but now with chopped hair they don't suit me. However I have a sunhat which the family find amusing but I find helps when we've got sunny weather. Mind you I wouldn't go out in it - garden use only!!!!

JackyB Sat 28-Jul-18 11:50:15

Even a straw hat with holes in it makes my head hot.

Parasol anyone?

trisher Sat 28-Jul-18 11:58:25

I love hats. Got a sort of Panama I wear in summer (cheap Primark so I can stuff it in my suitcase and not worry) a brown straw which is a bit smarter and a couple of felt ones plus some woolly ones for winter. I also like doing historical stuff-great excuse for wearing a hat.

Lazigirl Sat 28-Jul-18 11:58:59

I am also a fan of Tilley hats Greyduster and as I have Celtic pale skin they give good protection, and look ok I think. They go thro the wash well and last for ever but are pricey at £70. Essential to protect face and head if you do a lot of walking.

annep Sat 28-Jul-18 13:06:13

Dont know Tilley hats but will definitely look.. I have small head so I usually buy in childrens sumner section or baseball caps.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:15:12

The one I bought recently I thought was made of straw but in fact it is paper - it will roll up and go in a suitcase.

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 13:17:51

I reckon I could roll up a piece of paper into a cone shape and make my own!

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:18:38

A coolie hat!

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:19:57

Oh dear, I have just looked that word up and it could be considered 'offensive'.
I didn't mean it to be so; I am reading a lot of books about early Australia so the description rang a bell.

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 13:22:15

I'll have to Google that.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:31:56

MissAdventure good luck with your new job. What a lovely way to get to work, walking along the seafront.

I tend to wear a hat in the sun, as I do not like full sun on my face, winter coats have hoods so I can avoid having to wear a winter hat mostly. ????

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 13:49:49

Thank you. I have to sit on the bus at commuter time first, then the train, THEN the walk, so hopefully it'll be a relief to feel some air on my face.
Anyway, its too windy for a hat now.
I might have to start a new thread to complain about that now! smile

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:51:24

I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, wore it that day then it has sat in the top of the wardrobe ever since.
Perhaps it will keep the rain off when I go out later.

Jalima1108 Sat 28-Jul-18 13:52:09

That's quite a trek to get to work MissA!

MissAdventure Sat 28-Jul-18 13:56:03

Yes, its further than I would have liked, and much less than I would have liked to be paid..
Its a nice place though, so I'm hoping that will make me love it.
I'm determined to.