Gransnet forums

Chat

Superstitions True or False

(74 Posts)
Rufus2 Thu 02-Aug-18 10:33:13

Do many GNs believe?
Or does anyone who claims to be a non-believer keep their fingers crossed behind their back as they say it; and then knock on wood? Just in case! grin
OoRoo

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:01:18

Oh Rufus2 I really wish I didn't believe!!!

My Grannies and parents were superstitious, and they have passed it on to me.

I am forever tipping my cap to single magpies, avoiding ladders and black cats, throwing salt over my shoulder if I spill any.

The only thing I am not superstitious about is Friday 13th, dear child was born on one, and I got married on one.??????

Jane10 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:06:38

If I think about it I don't believe in superstition but I touch wood, avoid walking under ladders and generally don't try to tempt providence in any way!!

gillybob Thu 02-Aug-18 11:08:24

Oh dear those bloomin' magpies GrannyGravy I always wished a single magpie good morning/afternoon with the line

"good morning/afternoon fine gentleman, how are you today?"

until my DGD pointed out that "grandma...it could be a lady magpie".

I now have to say.... "good morning/afternoon fine gentleman or lady, how are you today?" It drives me nuts but I can't not do it!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:10:48

gillybob nooooo!!! I shall have to do that also now!

Totally forgot about touching wood......

And as for what goes round comes round....... I try to shoo negative nasty thoughts out of mind all the time, sometimes with great difficulty.

Nicenanny3 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:21:45

I always salute and say morning colonel to a solitary magpie, never thought about it being a female. I'm happy if I see 2, 2 for joy,6 for gold makes me think I'd better do the lottery. I always thought a black cat crossing your path was good luck. Never walked under ladders. Fingers crossed ?. But Friday the 13th and the number 13 I think they are lucky, family born on that day.

Nicenanny3 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:23:23

Also believe in karma, what comes around goes around.

SpanielNanny Thu 02-Aug-18 11:37:48

Another one who says I don’t believe in superstitions, but salutes a single magpie (‘morning captain’ is the phrase my dad taught me). I also touch wood, never walk under ladders and avoid walking over triple drain covers - not sure where I even got that one from!

Scribbles Thu 02-Aug-18 11:40:26

I don't walk under ladders if it's avoidable because I wouldn't want anything to drop on me from a great height. But the other stuff .... Magpies, black cats, throwing salt, broken mirrors, Fri 13th ... What utter tosh! Then there's all that white rabbits business (yesterday's thread). What on earth is that about?

Anniebach Thu 02-Aug-18 11:41:50

I greet a single magpie, address him! as colonel , there are women colonels surely

Rufus2 Thu 02-Aug-18 11:42:24

good morning/afternoon fine gentleman or lady
Gillybob; It's easy! If you can believe your single maggie, who could be very lonely, is warbling "to" you, then it's a "he", if it's warbling "at" you, it's a "she"! wink
Don't ask how I know; I just do! grin
Ta-Ra

JackyB Thu 02-Aug-18 11:43:22

I don't think my mother knows many superstitions, so I only picked up a few from my school friends. Surely no one actually believes them.

Some of them have simply been degraded to figures of speech - "Touch wood", for example.

And in other countries they are different anyway, which just goes to prove that they can't have any truth in them. Unlucky numbers are different in other cultures, for example. Black cats can mean bad or good luck. People put shoes on the table, open umbrellas indoors, break mirrors with no compunction at all in some countries.

Rufus2 Thu 02-Aug-18 12:04:09

What on earth is ^that about?^

Easy; it was the 1st. day of the month. grin
And I suppose you actually believe that lightning can strike the same place twice.!? shock
Now take care when you next knock on wood; you could get some nasty splinters. wink
Ta-Ra

Oldwoman70 Thu 02-Aug-18 12:59:22

Not really superstitious although I always tap my head when I say touch wood. My grandmother was very superstitious so I suppose I have picked up a couple of things from her, don't let a baby see itself in a mirror (can't remember whether it means they will suffer more when teething or because the devil will jump out), no new shoes on table, don't open an umbrella in the house.

I do ask my guardian angel for favours mostly when I am driving, like a gap so I can join a motorway and let there be a parking space when I get to where I am going!

Rufus2 Thu 02-Aug-18 13:32:53

Magpies, black cats, throwing salt, broken mirrors, Fri 13th ... What utter tosh!
Scribbles; You joke, surely? That's blasphemy and so you might find something dropping on you from an even greater height, whether under a ladder or not. shock
It's mainly about Romanticism; some people have lots of it; with others it's harder to find. wink
Ta-Ra

Scribbles Thu 02-Aug-18 14:10:50

Well, I guess I'm just not a Romantic, then! (And I still don't understand how rabbits of any colour are connected to the first of the month).

OldMeg Thu 02-Aug-18 14:16:01

WTF!

Rufus2 Thu 02-Aug-18 14:35:53

And I still don't understand how rabbits of any colour are connected to the first of the month
Scribbles, Nor do I confused
Maybe it's analogous to the annual August (I think) birthday whereby all horses become 1 year older, except that with the more prolific breeding pattern of rabbits they all have a birthday on the 1st of each month. grin
That's the purpose of this thread, I suppose. To sort out life's little mysteries, True or False! wink
Ta-Ra

goldengirl Thu 02-Aug-18 15:19:10

If I said hallo to the magpies in our garden it would take up most of the day!!! Keep me from walking under a ladder though, touch wood grin

sodapop Thu 02-Aug-18 15:28:26

If asked I would say I'm not superstitious, why then do I touch my collar when I see an ambulance, say hello to magpies throw salt over my shoulder. Bit like saying you are not religious then having your children christened.

BlueBelle Thu 02-Aug-18 16:19:14

No not superstitious don’t do any of the things talked of but if a realist I m afraid
We always used to say pinch punch first of the month or white rabbits but only as a saying not as a superstition I m quite happy to walk under ladders don’t do anything with salt or fri 13th never talk to magpies ahhhhh not a romantic at all totally down to earth and boring sorry Don’t even believe in Karma if that was the case why are there so many bad people walking around and good people having countless problems

etheltbags1 Thu 02-Aug-18 16:52:15

Yes I do all those things, I think black cats are lucky however they might be a witches familiar. I tough wood and I say good morning Mr Maggie, good morning Mrs magpie. Then the superstition says you must spit on the cat as I have 2 that's not a problem but I don't spit I just pretend. I don't walk under ladders, I throw salt over my shoulder if I spill it and try not to leave my washing out on a new moon?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Aug-18 17:11:21

Rufus I am sure horses officially become 1 year older on 1st January. That's why people like foals to be born early in the year, the worst time is to be born late December, then they automatically become yearlings when they are only a few weeks old (horse racing, eventing and showjumping rules)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 02-Aug-18 17:13:07

Rufus my whole life seems to be a mystery, don't think anyone can sort me out!!!

Bluegal Thu 02-Aug-18 17:51:27

Not only do I not believe in superstition- actively go about walking under ladders, ignoring magpies, loving black cats - well you get the picture ??