Gransnet forums

Chat

Lord of the flies

(36 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 08:17:20

Anyone else fed up with clearing away dead flies and chasing away live ones?
Our conservatory needs cleaning up every morning, so DH came up with the idea of sucking them all up with the hoover ( the stick bit of it) works well and saves me a job.

Maggiemaybe Wed 08-Aug-18 09:00:50

We don’t have a problem in the house at the moment, and phew for that. But I’m a veritable fly magnet outdoors, to the extent that I seem to have a rare talent that could be harnessed. Any experts out there who want to gather up fly specimens, I’m your woman. We took two of the grandsons to an event at the local park yesterday and I had so many followers whirling in a cloud above my head (yes, just mine) that I saw people actually pointing and laughing. grin Perhaps I am indeed the Lord (or Lady) of the Flies?

Rufus2 Wed 08-Aug-18 08:13:05

When camping, carry small bags of bone dry cow dung. Light it upwind of wherever you are with some coals from the camp fire - there's no smell and it keeps the flies away.
JackyB; Very clever! Try this! Taken from a reliable Aussie source, but not recommended for indoor use! grin
Btw; Aussie flies are much bigger a stronger than their Pommie counterparts so can carry smartphones and are therefore more "with it"!

pollyperkins Tue 07-Aug-18 17:09:35

Yes Rufus -I remember being in a hluse in Australia and tgere were indeed fly screens on windows and doors, so you could leave them open but flying insects could not get in.
However, we don't generally need them here.

JackyB Tue 07-Aug-18 13:46:19

My goodness, what with fly papers and fly screens, they'll have plenty to read and plenty to watch - they shouldn't really be bothering us, should they?

lemongrove Tue 07-Aug-18 12:57:48

Interesting Rufus and I expect, living where you do that you really need it every year.
We don’t usually have such a problem, it seems to be just this long hot Summer.
Due to break soon, though, cooler and a bit of rain due, hurrah.

Rufus2 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:54:18

A fly screen is a good idea, but they come in the windows as well
Lemongrove; Not sure what your fly screen looks like, but from the "land of flies", big and small, fly screens are essential for hygiene and a comfortable night's sleep. They are custom-made to fit every door and window and made of a fine mesh aluminium "fibre" or similar in polyester.
They can be fitted with keyed locks so that main doors and windows can be left fully open to catch any cooling breezes, whilst maintaining some security. We appear to have several GNs with Aussie connections and who might care to confirm this.
I remember our (new) house when we arrived was not fitted and were nearly bitten to death by mozzies which were attracted to my darling Vera like a magnet. So she had them fitted quick smart. smile
Fortunately they leave me alone, probably because I'm a natural repellent. grin Good Luck!

pollyperkins Tue 07-Aug-18 09:01:57

Oh it's years since I read it and I can't remember the detail but remember the deep impression it made on me.
Yes we have a bit of a fly problem as we live in the country and when it is hot DH flings open all the doors and windows. I go round shutting them and using my fly swat. Don't like to use spray (especially in the kitchen) although I have resorted to it in the past. I just try to keep all food covered!

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 19:36:32

grin we can discuss the book as well if anyone wants to,but a very long time since I read it, although William Golding is a favourite author of mine ( the Fire Down Below series.)

Melanieeastanglia Mon 06-Aug-18 19:32:22

Oddly, I've seen very few flies this year. Perhaps I am lucky. I used to have plenty of them in my previous home and I used to put fly papers up which worked well.

Like pollyperkins, I thought this was going to be a thread about the book Lord of the Flies.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Aug-18 18:22:40

No Lemongrove I'm not from Paddington Green nor could I be described as pretty or little unfortunately! But I do like the song.

DoraMarr Mon 06-Aug-18 12:17:30

Really lemongrove? I hadn’t thought of that! I read somewhere that the reflections off the water and the coins sort of disorientated the flies, so they fly away, a bit confused. I hope it doesn’t attract wasps!

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 12:11:17

If it does work it may be because it mimics a wasps nest.

DoraMarr Mon 06-Aug-18 12:08:39

I read somewhere (Apartment therapy?) that flie can be deterred by hanging a clear plastic bag with some water in it and a couple of shiny copper coins. My son in law thinks it’s hilarious, but it seems to work!

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 12:07:48

Crafty - but they are everywhere! I take it very personally when I'm in bed and look up to see one hovering just above my face shock!

I've just evicted today's menagerie into the garden. I swear they form an orderly queue in the evening and sneak back in!

NonnaW Mon 06-Aug-18 11:59:30

sqiffy you and me both. I’ve always tried to let spiders be, but they are invading the ensuite this year, and I am losing patience with them!

JackyB Mon 06-Aug-18 11:59:28

The worst thing is that annoying buzzing. Well, actually, it's just as bad as when they buzz around food and land on it with their dirty feet!

Down with flies!

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:54:05

Bluebottles have metallic blue colouring, but these flies are just big, I haven't heard of cluster flies Lucky I thought they may be fruit flies.
It’s fairly rural here and there is a free range chicken farm just up the road.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:51:51

Day6 thought the nozzles may be a regional nuisance.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:51:01

pollyperkins ( from Paddington Green?) grin and Auntieflo the literary reference was just to hook you in.

Craftycat Mon 06-Aug-18 11:35:04

Don't get rid of the spiders- they will help catch the flies!!
Our conservatory is only place relatively fly-free as we have very well fed spiders in there.

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:38:34

Laughing here at insects called " nozzles" grin

merlotgran Mon 06-Aug-18 10:38:32

We're going to have to resort to fly papers. Flies are really bad this year.

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:37:10

Sigh. " mozzies " and " moths"

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:36:07

The big flies have always been known to me as bluebottles but OH has always called them "meat flies" which to me makes them sound disgusting. The cat's bowls of food certainly attract them though! As soon as fuss-pot feline has licked the gravy off our offerings to her
( and sauntered off) we have to cover her bowl. We also have the nozzles which come in every night because the windows and doors are open. And as for months attracted to the lights......Our house is fast becoming a David Attenborough programme.

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 10:18:19

There seem to be far more flies this year, but far fewer butterflies.

We're also awash with spiders! I've never seen so many in our house. I'm going round every day with my 'candy floss' on a stick removing spiders and webs, but still they keep coming! I would not be exaggerating if I said that, over the past few weeks, I've rehomed dozens and dozens into the garden - loads of them being tiny hatchlings! I can't bring myself to kill them, but they're beginning to push their luck!