Gransnet forums

Chat

Lord of the flies

(35 Posts)
lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 08:17:20

Anyone else fed up with clearing away dead flies and chasing away live ones?
Our conservatory needs cleaning up every morning, so DH came up with the idea of sucking them all up with the hoover ( the stick bit of it) works well and saves me a job.

tanith Mon 06-Aug-18 08:39:29

I’ve put a fly screen over the French doors it’s been so good at keeping flying beasties out of the house.

tiredoldwoman Mon 06-Aug-18 08:42:42

Yes, I suck them all up even the living ones, goodness knows whats going on in my hoover !
The air was amass with flying beasties yesterday , so much so that stayed indoors . Cooler and breezy and no beasties so far - Im off out !

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 08:51:49

A fly screen is a good idea, but they come in the windows as well.We rescue bees and butterflies but not the flies ( can’t catch them anyway!)
There seem to be a lot of big ones about this year ( not bluebottles just big flies).

Greyduster Mon 06-Aug-18 08:52:57

We have had an awful problem with them at home too. DH sucks them up in the hoover. They have been blissfully absent during this our holiday week, but yesterday our barbecue was invaded by so many flying ants we were constantly swatting them away and the evening was something of a moveable feast! If they had been houseflies I would have gone into a decline!

Luckygirl Mon 06-Aug-18 08:56:45

Cluster flies is what they are.

grannyqueenie Mon 06-Aug-18 08:59:55

I’m fed up with them too, I have these sticky strip things placed strategically easily hidden amongst clutter around the downstairs rooms which catch a few.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Aug-18 09:06:19

I thought this was going to be a literary thread!

Auntieflo Mon 06-Aug-18 09:08:32

You and me too Polly

Anniebach Mon 06-Aug-18 09:15:59

I have those fly papers in the living room and kitchen, horrible creatures.

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 10:18:19

There seem to be far more flies this year, but far fewer butterflies.

We're also awash with spiders! I've never seen so many in our house. I'm going round every day with my 'candy floss' on a stick removing spiders and webs, but still they keep coming! I would not be exaggerating if I said that, over the past few weeks, I've rehomed dozens and dozens into the garden - loads of them being tiny hatchlings! I can't bring myself to kill them, but they're beginning to push their luck!

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:36:07

The big flies have always been known to me as bluebottles but OH has always called them "meat flies" which to me makes them sound disgusting. The cat's bowls of food certainly attract them though! As soon as fuss-pot feline has licked the gravy off our offerings to her
( and sauntered off) we have to cover her bowl. We also have the nozzles which come in every night because the windows and doors are open. And as for months attracted to the lights......Our house is fast becoming a David Attenborough programme.

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:37:10

Sigh. " mozzies " and " moths"

merlotgran Mon 06-Aug-18 10:38:32

We're going to have to resort to fly papers. Flies are really bad this year.

Day6 Mon 06-Aug-18 10:38:34

Laughing here at insects called " nozzles" grin

Craftycat Mon 06-Aug-18 11:35:04

Don't get rid of the spiders- they will help catch the flies!!
Our conservatory is only place relatively fly-free as we have very well fed spiders in there.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:51:01

pollyperkins ( from Paddington Green?) grin and Auntieflo the literary reference was just to hook you in.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:51:51

Day6 thought the nozzles may be a regional nuisance.

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 11:54:05

Bluebottles have metallic blue colouring, but these flies are just big, I haven't heard of cluster flies Lucky I thought they may be fruit flies.
It’s fairly rural here and there is a free range chicken farm just up the road.

JackyB Mon 06-Aug-18 11:59:28

The worst thing is that annoying buzzing. Well, actually, it's just as bad as when they buzz around food and land on it with their dirty feet!

Down with flies!

NonnaW Mon 06-Aug-18 11:59:30

sqiffy you and me both. I’ve always tried to let spiders be, but they are invading the ensuite this year, and I am losing patience with them!

Squiffy Mon 06-Aug-18 12:07:48

Crafty - but they are everywhere! I take it very personally when I'm in bed and look up to see one hovering just above my face shock!

I've just evicted today's menagerie into the garden. I swear they form an orderly queue in the evening and sneak back in!

DoraMarr Mon 06-Aug-18 12:08:39

I read somewhere (Apartment therapy?) that flie can be deterred by hanging a clear plastic bag with some water in it and a couple of shiny copper coins. My son in law thinks it’s hilarious, but it seems to work!

lemongrove Mon 06-Aug-18 12:11:17

If it does work it may be because it mimics a wasps nest.

DoraMarr Mon 06-Aug-18 12:17:30

Really lemongrove? I hadn’t thought of that! I read somewhere that the reflections off the water and the coins sort of disorientated the flies, so they fly away, a bit confused. I hope it doesn’t attract wasps!