Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's friendly and welcoming kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
soop Fri 10-Aug-18 18:26:19

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome. sunshine smile flowers cupcake wine brew

morethan2 Sat 15-Sep-18 19:27:13

Oh yes I’d like to hear about your holiday, I love talking about holidays it cheers me up no end.

Synonymous Sat 15-Sep-18 19:28:45

It helps to hear of happy things ann. So glad you had a lovely time away and with a touch of luxury too. smile

Doodle Sat 15-Sep-18 19:46:58

annsixty you have had more than your fair share of troubles. Never feel it is wrong to have some happiness in your life. None of us kitcheners would begrudge you a good rest. We want to hear all about it. Hearing happy news does not stop us caring about those who are having a tough time. It is just nice to hear that there are better times for some others. Sorry, I have not phrased that very well but ann we are glad you had a good time and want to hear more.

callgirl1 Sat 15-Sep-18 22:15:16

Ann, please do go on about your holiday. You deserved it so much that you`re allowed to "go on" as much as you like!
MacSporran, thank you so much for the update, and for taking such good care of Soop, our National Treasure. Hoping to hear better news of her soon.
And Panache, hope you`re soon on the road to recovery, your posts are missed.

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 07:29:49

Good morning!!

I'm just checking in to see how everyone is today. I'm hoping everyone is feeling a little better.

Hopefully MacS will be along to update us about soop and to let us know if there is any news of Panache.

morethan, just sending you some extra hugs.

Ann, I hope you are rested enough to tell us about your holiday.

Enjoy the birthday celebrations n&g.

It is DS1's 47th birthday today. We won't see him as he has elected to have a duvet day on his own. sad

I find the fact that I have a 47 year old son almost as shocking as my being 70 in January. I have no idea how either thing happened. confused

Nannytopsy Sun 16-Sep-18 08:21:37

Love the idea of a printed collar for a cake. What a clever idea and it would disguise my somewhat dodgy attempts at icing! So pleased you had a good holiday Ann, with young company to keep you amused. Soop get well soon. Off to DGS1’s birthday party soon. Help! A whole reception class in a village hall.

morethan2 Sun 16-Sep-18 08:30:41

Thanks for hug kittylester same here I can remember being really shocked when my eldest hit 30 over 10 years ago, I still haven’t got over the shock. I’m going swimming with grandchildren today so will see DiL for the first time since the news. I’ve just eaten the last banana in the kitchen. I spread a crust of bread with thick butter and had a banana sandwich with a cup of tea for breakfast. Delicious, I hope no one else wanted it. I hope soop is feeling better and there’s good new from panache looking forward to the cheerful account of holidays and celebrations fromAnn &n&g

MawBroon Sun 16-Sep-18 08:33:50

I have also posted this on the Good Morning thread, but forgot the picture. So I hope you will allow me to repeat myself.
As it is my darling Paw’s birthday I am unsurprisingly in reflective mood. How lucky we were to find each other all those years ago (1966) and however much I miss him every day, I also realise how privileged I was to spend my life with such a gentle and principled man.?
As to his legacy I need only look at our lovely DDs and our wonderful grandchildren, ?

Greyduster Sun 16-Sep-18 08:34:08

Time flies when you’re having fun, kitty! My DD is the same age as your son, and my son is 51. I am old and grey - he is just, well, grey really! They will all be here today to celebrate DH’s birthday (which was Friday), so I had better get a move on or there will not be any lunch. We are having curry, roast pork with roasted veg, tuna pasta bake (DD doesn’t eat meat) and quiche and salad, and I made two strawberry flans, one of which looks like a car crash as the sponge base didn’t come out of the tin properly so I had to ‘mend’ it! Why is it that when you cook something on a regular basis for an unspecial occasion, it turns out perfectly and when you want it to be perfect it isn’t?? I will bung a load of icing sugar on top. If there is any left I will leave it in the kitchen!
I will look in later and hope there is better news of Soop and all who are struggling at the moment.

Greyduster Sun 16-Sep-18 08:39:18

Lovely post, Maw, and a sad day for you, I think. I met, and married, my DH in 1966 too. A good year!

harrigran Sun 16-Sep-18 08:46:04

Just popped in to see if soop is on the mend, hopefully the antibiotics will be doing their job now.
My DD will be 50 in March argh.... I can not believe I am old enough to have children this age.

Nannytopsy Sun 16-Sep-18 08:50:49

? Maw

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 08:58:40

maw - lots of gentle hugs for you.

I become reflective on DS1'S birthday. He is our first born and we had such dreams for him. Unfortunately fate intervened but we at least are lucky enough to still have him in our lives.

aggie Sun 16-Sep-18 09:00:17

Just popped in to say I hope Soop is feeling better and I hope the same for all poorly Grans.
I love that pic Maw flowers

Elrel Sun 16-Sep-18 09:06:51

Just came into this warm welcoming place as autumn draws close. Wishing good health and a peaceful happy day to everyone.

Charleygirl Sun 16-Sep-18 09:29:33

Me also Maw flowers. Yet another gentleman who like me was perfect. There are a lot of Virgoans around.

Harrigran are you sure that you did not get the number wrong?! It is an easy mistake.

I hope those who are feeling unwell will soon feel a tad better. At least in the SE the weather is sunny.

I have to clip back a bush at my front door so that a man can fit a smart meter next week. I think there is heaps of room but what do I know?

ChaosIncorporated Sun 16-Sep-18 10:47:47

Good morning all.
It looks as though seats around the table are all taken this morning, so I shall claim the window seat whilst it is still available!

MacS ...thank you for your update. I am sure you are worrying, so we shall worry along with you, and hope you are able to impose doctors orders and keep our your darling *soop* MrsMacS in bed!
Please tell her the Horrible Hounds send a lick x

Maw ...such a lovely picture, and wonderful memories for you.

ann ... I shall join the chorus of demand for every detail of your adventure....particularly if they involved bronzed waiters and gin cocktails. Did I spot a "granny barred from foreign nightclub for table dancing" headline in the press? grin

morethan .... I am sure it will help you both when you see your DIL today. A hug means so much. flowers

greyd ... I am a cheerful recipient of disastrous deserts. Please post the yummy stuff leftovers as soon as you have finished your celebrations.

Age of the next generation is a sore point here, having recently discovered that her long career in a demanding field will allow my niece to take early retirement before I reach the new pensionable age! in fairness, I also retired early but then chose to go back to work part time in an entirely different field....but its the principle that grates.

In case it isn't obvious from the long chatter....internet is now fully functional again smile

Gagagran Sun 16-Sep-18 11:52:46

Morning everyone! We are back from our week away going down Memory Lane to see old friends and places. The weather was true golden September days ( think it might be my favourite month) and the farm cottage we stayed in was idyllic. We had a packed programme and enjoyed every day.

I was sad to come into the kitchen for a catch up to find so many worried friends and especially worrying was the news about our Soop. I just hope she is feeling better today and is soon back to reign over us.

I think 1971 was a good year for GN babies - my son was born in March so kitty8 and *greyd we have produced a fine vintage! My DD arrived in 1973 and it is difficult to realise that they are now 47 and 45 respectively! I still see them as young.

Kindest regards to all kitcheners especially those unwell or unhappy. sunshine for them.

annsixty Sun 16-Sep-18 12:28:55

Good morning all.
I got out of bed at 9:50am and have been busy ever since, but order is restored, everything is away, most laundry is done and I feel better.
I had not realised how old I am until yesterday when I was so tired.
I got in the house at 1:10am early Saturday and it really took its toll.
I got up early and whipped to Simply Food as I had no fresh food in the house.
I had a moment in there watching two couples greeting each other and laughing and joking and wishing it was me, but heyho it wasn't so I let it pass.

I had a wonderfil but so different holiday to any I have had before.
The hotel was superb, we pushed the boat out and stayed five star, the room only deserved four but everything else was spot on.

I never left the environs of the hotel apart from one stroll along the beach. I people watched and I read and I drank coffee and the occasional drink by the pool and I ate and ate.

The food was superb , we ate twice in the buffet, once in the Italian and once in the Mediterranean restaurant.
Any longer than five days and I would have been wheeled home in a wheelbarrow.

My GD and her friend did the nightlife and I retired to bed with my book and peace and quiet.

They had the best time ever I think.

The whole experience was great, but the wealth of some young people amazed me, lot of them were English, I went wrong somewhere, I will come back as someome else entirely.
I heard one 30 something say to his friends, I hate missing a days trading, the wifi was spasmodic and he probably didnt make his quota that day.
I dont think I will ever do it again, back to earth tomorrow when I fetch my H home and the holiday will all be a dream.

Thank you for your forbearance, I have no-once else to tell.

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 13:11:16

ann, I am sure that I am not the only one to be so pleased that you had a lovely rest and in such surroundings. I hope you recharged your batteries sufficiently.

mrshat Sun 16-Sep-18 13:43:03

So pleased for you Ann . If anyone deserved a good holiday it was you. flowers

Lona Sun 16-Sep-18 13:49:19

ann I'm glad you had such a relaxing holiday, heaven knows you deserved it.

morethan what desperately sad news for your son's family, and for you of course. I could weep for you all. Life seems very unfair sometimes. flowers

kitty I hope that your friend will be well cared for, it's what we dread isn't it?

soop please call the doctor if there's no improvement today, I'm getting very concerned now ❤
Best wishes to everyone sunshine

Doodle Sun 16-Sep-18 13:51:43

ann so pleased to hear about your lovely holiday. Hope things go well with DH and his return home.

maw your paw looks the gentleman he obviously was. Lovely photo. So sorry you did not get to share more time with him. Treasure those memories. Your posts remind those of us lucky enough to still have our partners with us to be grateful for every minute. Thinking of you today flowers

grannyqueenie Sun 16-Sep-18 13:54:43

Tell away Ann as much and as often as you want to, everyone here is delighted for you and more than happy to listen to happy holiday tales. You never begrudge any of us our moments of joy even on your toughest days. Enjoy your last bit of time for yourself. x

kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 14:04:32

I think it's time to close the door on this kitchen. I hope the new kitchen brings us all some happier news.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion