Gransnet forums

Chat

Online shopping

(58 Posts)
MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 18:47:14

I think it may be time that I bite the bullet and do my shopping online.
It seems a fair few people do, and I'm wondering how easy (or hard!) it is, and who you shop with, please?

ContraryMary88 Sat 11-Aug-18 19:47:18

I use them all of the time, I’ve tried them all, we live a fair way from the shops and apart from Asda they all now have one hour slots, the only problem is if they can’t deliver an item, so I usually have to schlep to the shop anyway which is a b#*@@#r.
I overspend if I go to the supermarkets myself.
Drivers are friendly and helpful and will take the goods straight into your kitchen for you if you want.
Try it.

TwiceAsNice Sat 11-Aug-18 19:50:19

Ocado are brilliant only ever buy odd things I've run out of in a supermarket, now. . Just set up an account with their app , register your address and the card you want to pay with. After one shop you will have a favourites list which you can use as a memory aid and it will tell you offers on your usual buys too. Delivered to your door at a convenient time, what's not to like, I love it! Also buy on line regularly with AmaZon , Boden, and M&S .

BlueBelle Sat 11-Aug-18 19:51:37

I ve used online deliveries in the past but aren’t overjoyed at some of the ‘alternatives’ they send if they re out of something I m also not sure you get the best sell by dates I have used tesco Iceland and Asda nothing to choose between them I wouldn’t go back to it unless I have to but if I was ill or incapacitated then I would and say thank you
Ocado don’t deliver in my area

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:18:45

We have done this MissA - including a large order for wine for a wedding.
They exchanged so much, including the wine, that I became very annoyed indeed.
I do like to see what I'm buying.

kathsue Sat 11-Aug-18 20:20:25

oops just realised you meant groceries. I get mine delivered from Asda. It's so convenient and saves a lot of time and energy. They do sometimes miss something off the list but you can just go back online and get a refund right away. Same if you're not happy with the quality.

Jalima1108 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:21:20

This was Tesco, MissA, and a long time ago.

I have ordered other goods online but not food since then. Oh - and a family member didn't get his Christmas food delivery on Christmas Eve (adverse weather conditions, apparently!) and had to drive 80 miles return to fetch it himself. He got through so why couldn't the delivery vans?

Beau Sat 11-Aug-18 20:29:07

I have used Waitrose for years at home in the South East and they were always brilliant and the only one with free delivery (although you have to spend £60). However here in the North West I would not recommend them as they seem to do all their deliveries from the Chester store and usually about 20% of the items are substituted, often with completely inappropriate items. I know someone who had a few substitution problems with Tesco but apart from that they were happy with them.

mumofmadboys Sat 11-Aug-18 20:30:04

I use Sainsburys and find them excellent. Would hate to go back to big supermarket shops. If you spend a hundred pounds then delivery is free. I order everything I want and then top up to £100 with loo rolls, tea bags and stamps so never pay for delivery.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Aug-18 20:50:29

Thank you all.
I'm going to take the plunge, I think.
Just have to decide who to use.
£100 would be quite hard for me to part with, though I could do it fortnightly.

seacliff Sat 11-Aug-18 21:10:23

I use Asda, but not for some fresh salad and some meat. I prefer to go and choose that myself locally.

Some moan about Asda but for me they have been fine for several years. I get an text message saying when they are near, and an email if there are substitutions. They will charge the lesser price if they give me something dearer.

I signed up for a yearly pass, which currently costs £24 per annum, ie £2 per month, which for me is a bargain as I have quite a bit of heavy cat food etc.

For that, I can have a delivery each week if I want, anytime on Tuesday/Wednesday or Thursday. You choose a 2 hour slot. You must spend a Minimum of £40 per delivery.

The other thing people sometimes miss is Asda Price Guarantee. You register and can compare last 3 shops with other supermarkets. Sometimes I will get several £ back off a shop.

seacliff Sat 11-Aug-18 21:13:39

Meant to say, with Asda, if you are new to Delivery Pass you can now trial it for free for 31 days when you purchase a 6 or 12 month pass. Once the free trial expires you will automatically move onto the pass you have selected. If you change your mind during the free trial and either wish to cancel or switch to a different pass you can do so at any time.

cornergran Sat 11-Aug-18 21:15:15

Morrison’s deliver from the depot here, so substitutions are rare and can always been handed back to the driver or taken to a store. Suspect no delivery option is perfect and do vary from area to area. Definitely worth a try though.

callgirl1 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:27:56

We used Asda for a few years, were quite satisfied, then they let us down at Christmas about 3 years ago, and hubby said no more, try Tesco, and I`ve been with Tesco ever since. The delivery drivers are great, very helpful, but their website does have a tendency to sometimes add things on, or take things away, which can be frustrating. I once got 24 swiss rolls instead of one, and luckily once spotted that one bunch of bananas had changed to 99 bunches, I saw it just before clicking to send the order through!

Eglantine21 Sat 11-Aug-18 22:39:31

I did it when my husband was ill and I couldn’t get out. I didnt much like the substitutions. Skimmed milk for full fat, chicken thighs instead of organic breast, oranges instead of satsumas, easy spread butter instead of block. The list goes on!

Then I tried it the Christmas before last and ended with so many fairly vital things not available that I had to go out and do a shop anyway.

Now I live in town I just buy what I need on a daily basis and find that’s the cheapest and best.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:30:44

Well, I have just ordered a shop from Asda smile

MissAdventure Tue 14-Aug-18 21:32:20

That posted too soon, I wasn't done with being smug thinking about how I won't have to struggle.
I downloaded the Asda app, and bobs your uncle.

travelsafar Wed 15-Aug-18 08:02:48

I feel food shopping online is brilliant for those short on time, unwell or ordering huge amounts of shopping.Personally I enjoy my weekly shop at the supermarket, I always bump into someone I know and have a chat, the shop assistants know who I am and engage in chat if not too busy, plus i like to go to a couple of other shops before i go to the supermarket and pick up items that are on offer or lower in price. I always do my banking on shopping day as well and again because i go into the bank every week they know who i am and it make the whole thing more enjoyable for me, I feel like part of the local community which is important as you get older. When i miss my trip to the bank if i've been unwell they alway enquire where were you last week and are you ok now, it's a lovely feeling.

MissAdventure Wed 15-Aug-18 08:05:51

That's a very good point.
Interacting when I'm out and about down town has always been something I've enjoyed.
I'm hoping i'll get to still go for a browse, now that I won't be weighed down by heavy bags.

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 08:13:20

Or those (like me) who are none of those things but who are not as young as we used to be, have no car and whose road home is up a steep hill. I only shop for one but a normal weekly shop is too much to carry home. Even with just a few odd things I pause to "admire someone's garden" more than once on the way up, and if I also had several tins, cartons of milk and juice, a bag of flour, potatoes and other veg and so on I would never make it to the front gate.

Elegran Wed 15-Aug-18 08:14:26

Who are not "short on time, unwell or ordering huge amounts of shopping."

Gma29 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:15:33

I like Ocado, I found the website straightforward and they were reliable. Generally less substitutions too. I find the Asda site a bit tedious, it seems to take ages.

I have used the money supermarket site too, as it compares the cost across the supermarkets.

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 08:18:49

I enjoy using both and my online “shop” of choice is Ocado. No substitutions, a 30 minute delivery window which they always meet, and friendly delivery men and women who bring my shopping into the kitchen. I haven’t quite worked out how to get them to put it away in the cupboards, but hope springs eternal.....
Other weeks I enjoy a trip to Waitrose, a cup of coffee and so often bump into someone I know. Then there is the weekly market on Thursdays.
We are so lucky nowadays to have all these options available to us. My mum used to trek into town every day to do her shopping like the Mum in the Ladybird books, carrying everything home in two large shopping bags which I often got lumbered with as an unwilling teenager.

Charleygirl Wed 15-Aug-18 08:33:43

I have tried most but I am using Morrisons on line at present. I have recently had major surgery so the fellow kindly brings everything through to my kitchen and I can unpack there. I am informed on line the rare occasions that there is a substitution.

I frequently get a lot of bargains. I have stopped ordering a loaf of bread because of the short use by date.

When I was with Sainsbury I ordered cat litter tray liners but received ladies panty liners. Not quite what I wanted.

Another time with Sainsbury there were 13 items missing- I rang to discover that the picker had a nervous breakdown but nobody took over. I was compensated

MissAdventure Wed 15-Aug-18 08:45:07

I've mostly ordered bleach, toilet rolls, juice, and all the things which are so cumbersome to carry.
Lots of lovely sounding salad and fruit, too.
I have a 2 hour delivery time for this evening, and it cost me just a pound.
smile
Lets see how it pans out.

seacliff Thu 16-Aug-18 20:52:41

I love the delivery for the heavy bulky items. I still like having a relaxing wander in my local shops, to choose my own fruit and veg. It makes it more enjoyable just to get a few bits, and it's good to get out and meet people.

I got my Asda order tonight, and there was one substitution of bread, quite OK.

I hope your delivery works out well Miss Adventure.