Gransnet forums

Chat

Cinema snacks!!!

(83 Posts)
millymouge Wed 15-Aug-18 07:31:05

Went to see a film last night, don't go all that often but DH wanted to see the latest MI film!!! Must say it was quite good if you like that sort of thing. What amazes me though is the amount of money that people spend on food to take in. Huge boxes of popcorn, massive cokes, nachos with dips, ice creams, bags of sweets, coffee, you can have wine or beers the list is endless. But what gets me is the price of all these. The couple in front of us spent over £30 on stuff for the two of them and that was before paying for the tickets. There were very few people that didn't buy some sort of snack. DD2 bans her 3 from asking for anything and pops something in her pocket for them and I do the same if I think we will want something. Can make an evening out to see a film quite expensive if you aren't careful.

travelsafar Wed 15-Aug-18 07:49:28

I agree. When i go with my DD to cinema i too am amazed at the amount people purchase to munch on through the film.
We use to only get the lady with the tray selling ice creams back in the day, now you can almost have a starter, main and dessert at the cinema!!! lol.
As you say it must cost a fortune especially when taking children.

Brunette10 Wed 15-Aug-18 08:02:16

Unfortunately it's the signs of our time now. I think it's ridiculous the money spent on food etc for cinema, not sure how anyone can justify that however it's their money and people just do as they please I suppose. I can think spending my money better ways.

mcem Wed 15-Aug-18 08:08:54

Sitting behind the couple with the bucket of popcorn and (even worse) hot dogs is a nightmare for me! I thoroughly dislike the smell of both 'treats'! Add in the munching and slurping and I just have to move.
One of the reasons cinemas can charge exorbitant prices is because some refuse to allow patrons to bring their own snacks.
Good reasons for me to use my small local cinema instead of the huge out-of-town complexes.

BlueBelle Wed 15-Aug-18 08:10:32

When I used to take a few grandkids I used to buy some microwave popcorn and when ‘cooked’ put it in single plastic sealed bags plus a small drink each You have to have a treat at the cinema but not a three course meal

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 08:12:14

Rather different at the Errol Flynn Filmhouse live streamed “Vanessa” from Glyndebourne last night!
There was a 25 minute interval in which we drank chilled white wine and nibbled macarons.
Very civilised.

Mapleleaf Wed 15-Aug-18 08:12:16

I rarely go to the cinema, but yes, it can cost a fortune if you buy snacks at their inflated prices. DH and I or SiL's and I would take our own sweets to share, and maybe buy an ice cream at the interval if we felt flush!

Mapleleaf Wed 15-Aug-18 08:13:29

Sounds very civilised indeed, Maw ?

Auntieflo Wed 15-Aug-18 08:21:13

Oh, wouldn't it be lovely if they had food free cinemas? I haven't been to a cinema for a long time, and one of the reasons, is the awful smell of other peoples food. Ok for a soft drink to be taken in, but a real no no for smelly food.

harrigran Wed 15-Aug-18 08:23:39

I took GD to cinema last week and it was the same scenario, enormous people with large buckets of popcorn and large smelly hotdogs not to mention the very large containers of drink. It really turns my stomach.

12Michael Wed 15-Aug-18 08:31:10

In the past I have used the Vue in Bicester, and just sat and enjoyed the film whether it was a senior or normal showing I never snack, but the popcorn etc is being munched around you.
Mick

Riverwalk Wed 15-Aug-18 08:53:17

I took GD to the cinema yesterday to watch The Incredibles - the young couple with a small child right in front of us took ages to sit and settle!

Mum was trying to sit the child on the booster seat whilst holding in the other arm a huge box of popcorn and handbag - dad couldn't help as he had a large glass of water sloshing around in one hand and a double tray thing with two large Starbucks creamy concoctions. Then they got out their phones and took a photo of each of them with the child.

They left after about half an hour! grin

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 09:01:16

I haven’t a clue why people feel this need, it’s probably just a habit. And a sign of the times that if there’s food available we must buy it and eat it.

?

B9exchange Wed 15-Aug-18 09:10:23

We do have a relatively food free cinema locally, and it is bliss! Each floor has a bar, and downstairs you can sit round tables in huge comfy swivel chairs. Only food is a small container of nuts you can purchase to go with your drinks. They have just started doing cheeseboards, but I haven't seen anyone order one yet. A manager comes on and introduces the film at the start, just like the old days!

Maggiemaybe Wed 15-Aug-18 09:28:22

We go to the lunchtime Senior Vue often, and no one takes in snacks, apart from the free tea/coffee and cookie provided. Mini Mornings with the DGS is a different world. There are all sorts of impressive balancing acts going on as you go in and an ocean of popcorn, half-eaten hotdogs, nachos and dropped sweets to wade through at the end. The film starts at 10am!

KatyK Wed 15-Aug-18 09:52:45

I can understand it with children but I've never understood why adults feel the need to eat anything in the cinema or theatre. I assume they would say it's part of the enjoyment but it's not much enjoyment for those who have to listen to sweet bags being rustled etc.

paddyann Wed 15-Aug-18 10:49:49

When I was small my family would go to the cinema a couple of times a week ,Dad always bought oddfellows for himself and a bag of fruit for us at the shop next door to the "pictures" .We didn't get the icecreams that others got we had bananas and grapes and plums etc
.My mother was always weight obsessed so I'm fairly sure it was her influence at work .Dad always had sweeties in his pocket at any time of any day ,he had a deprived childhood he said and a lot of sweetie eating time to catch up on .

Willow500 Wed 15-Aug-18 10:56:40

I remember being taken to see Whistle Down the Wind when I was a child and been given some barley sugar sweets -- I found a screw in one!! My dad sent them back to the manufacturers and we got a huge bag of sweets back as an apology! Can't remember the last time we went to the cinema here though as my husband can't sit for long enough in the seats but we probably took our own in - the prices are ridiculous for pick n mix!

sodapop Wed 15-Aug-18 12:46:07

I don't understand why there is the need now to eat almost a three course meal in the cinema. The noise and smells put me off completely. Don't know why people pay those inflated prices anyway, can they not eat before they go out or later. Grumpy old woman rant over !!

pollyperkins Wed 15-Aug-18 14:48:52

We enjoy going there too Maw.

Beau Wed 15-Aug-18 15:07:39

I have heard and read on many occasions that only the exorbitant food prices keep these places going - they would not be able to turn a profit on cinema tickets alone.

Deedaa Wed 15-Aug-18 15:11:15

In the early 60s my mother and I used to go to the cinema a lot. One of them started selling hot dogs which was really exotic! It was a great treat to buy one to eat on the way home. I don't think there was ever any suggestion that they could be eaten inside the cinema.

Grammaretto Wed 15-Aug-18 15:48:31

Thank God they don't smoke any more!

HildaW Wed 15-Aug-18 16:25:28

If I go out to see a film I will have either just had a meal or be going to have one afterwards. I just might need a drink if I'm thirsty or a few boiled sweets to stop the dreaded 'air conditioner' cough, but that's it!
Must admit I'm turning into one of those grumpy old women who cannot understand the modern elasticity of meal times. No matter where (or when) I go out, somewhere there always seem to be lots of people who seem to need to be eating a three course meal. Sometimes they are just walking around the shops!

M0nica Wed 15-Aug-18 16:38:27

How can you concentrate on what you are watching if you are trying to eat as well?

My parents never bought sweets or drinks when we went to the theatre (mainly the pantomime each Christmas) so I have never got the habit of doing it.