Gransnet forums

Chat

I can never again go into my garden

(57 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 29-Aug-18 17:28:10

Dramatic, but true.

I have a total phobia of amphibians. Real, screaming meltdowns if I am near one. I can't even look at pictures of them without feeling queasy.

I was cutting the grass at the weekend, and went to move some plant paraphernalia out of the way. In my cold frame I saw what I thought was a month fluttering around. Closer inspection revealed it was a frog. A teeny tiny one, but a frog nevertheless.

Cue screaming ab-dabs and me doing a Ussain Bolt impression into the house. DH went out and removed the thing.

I was out picking some blueberries yesterday and as I walked up the garden path back to the house there on the path was a teeny tiny frog. Hopping.

Now I don't know if it was the same frog as at the weekend that had found its way back, or if it was another one. But I have not been outside again since. I won't even have the back door open for fear that it will find its way in.

Now I know I have written this in a slightly light hearted way, but I really am petrified of the things. I know they won't hurt, and I know they are probably frightened by me and my size, and I know there are those who find them appealing, but I am not one of those people.

Please!! Is there any way of ridding my garden of those things, and preventing them from ever wanting to come back again? We don't have a pond (that got filled in as the very first job we did when we moved in 25 years ago), neither do our neighbours on either side. I don't know about the houses whose gardens we back onto, as garden buildings and trees block the view.

HurdyGurdy Sat 01-Sep-18 13:02:37

I've decided! I'm going to go for counselling/therapy/whatever it's called.

So what is it I'm looking for. I can't for one minute think this will be available on the NHS so I'm not going to bother the GP.

I have googled "phobia therapist" and found several in my area. One just describes herself as a counsellor, and her fees are: Consultations are £20 for 30 minutes
Sessions are £35 for 50 minutes

Does this sound reasonable? I've absolutely no clue how much to expect to pay.

Another calls herself a "Humanistic Integrative Practitioner" which sounds like a right old mouthful, but means diddly squat to me. There's no mention of fees on her website.

Any ideas as to what type of therapist I should be looking for?

mimiro Sat 01-Sep-18 13:16:49

please try to overcome this.amphibs like bees are our environmental gaurdians.if they all disappear we are in trouble.
like some species of fish when the water,land are polluted too much they either die or hibernatefor years.
frogs toads lizards even snakes eat mosquitos,flies,roaches.and most bugs.
where i live amphibs are a part of daily life.tiny thumbnail sized toads,big frogs,small lizards on my plants eating the aphids and grasshoppers and roaches,blackracer snakes to keep away poisonious snakes and woodrats from sheds and porches.and if you are really lucky you get to see a mini dinosaur(alligators and crocs)when on the water.
also theres a swallowtail kite here that lives off of the tree frogs.its thier primary food source.
as to your question could your gp recommend someone?

NfkDumpling Sat 01-Sep-18 14:11:17

If it’s so bad that you still can’t go into the garden you may well get some help from your GP. Definitely worth a try and they should be able to suggest someone if not.

crystaltipps Sat 01-Sep-18 14:56:18

I would ask what type of therapy they provide, is it hypnotherapy, behavioural, cognitive or what? Be careful you don’t land yourself with some hippy charlatan with no qualifications. The one you describe sounds a bit cheap to me. The most effective therapy for phobias would be hypnotherapy and / or behavioural therapy.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 01-Sep-18 19:16:50

Myself I would go for hypnotherapy as they get you into a relaxed state, talk through your problem and then suggest how you can change it. Also ask your Dr he might well be able to point you in the right direction

Elliepops Tue 04-Sep-18 12:03:50

Have you not heard of an electric banana? Ha ha