Gransnet forums

Chat

Blue badge examination this morning........

(57 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 14-Sep-18 07:54:30

.......any ideas from those of you who have done this?

I can walk - but with a lot of pain, a stick and very slowly. I start of OK for a short while and then am very slow and in discomfort.

My OH has a blue badge and sometimes he walks better than I do - he gets it because he is on a qualifying benefit.

annep Thu 20-Sep-18 15:15:31

I have CFS and fibromyalgia. Being able to park in the high street rather than walk to the car park often means the difference between getting out and having to stay at home. For many people it makes a huge difference. Also sometimes car parks are full and you have to park further away. whereas there may well be a free disabled spot close.

kittylester Thu 20-Sep-18 15:17:15

DS got his on the basis of being unable to walk far without becoming tired.

DBiL got his on the fact that his arthritis won't allow him to walk to a shop AND then go shopping as the pain is too much.

Does the appeal include reference to your GP?

Blacktabby2 Thu 20-Sep-18 15:38:43

I have one ( l am 57). I damaged my spine and the DVLA took away my licence. I applied online and a lady phoned me. She was really nice and felt it would help me. To a previous comment...they really do help as l need the door wide open to get out. Also so much closer to supermarket entrances although mother and child get priority too! How did we manage years ago with prams!!! Don't start me off ?

Elegran Thu 20-Sep-18 16:02:06

OldMeg Parking must be easier in your area than in most.

Cold Thu 20-Sep-18 16:47:55

Are you applying on the basis of your broken foot or other conditions?

My understanding is that they do not provide temporary blue badges for broken bones that are expected to heal - there must be evidence of a long term disability.

kittylester Thu 20-Sep-18 16:50:23

Lucky's foot has been broken for a long time, cold.

Luckygirl Thu 20-Sep-18 17:34:13

You don't know what the parking is like here! The nearest park to the dentist is definitely not"only yards"!!! - would that it were!

Tartlet Thu 20-Sep-18 18:08:32

I got a blue badge 18 months ago but didn’t have to have an examination or get a doctor’s signature. I just had to agree on the form that my doctor could be contacted if necessary and had a telephone chat with someone to confirm my problems. I’m pretty sure no one contacted my doctor because the badge arrived very quickly. On my worst days I’m very glad of it but it’s not unusual for there to be no disabled spaces free. Our council have largely prevented Blue badgers from parking on yellow lines in the town centre by adding ‘loading on’ restrictions.

It’s interesting that the application process varies so much.

Luckygirl Fri 21-Sep-18 13:56:11

It does feel unfair that the process varies so much around the country. I also feel miffed about those who lay it on with a trowel to get the badge - I was straight and honest and said exactly what the problems were. I assumed that they would understand how hard it can be for me to get to where I need to go from my clear description of the problems.

I am looking into the appeals system.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 13:59:16

I didn’t say it was ‘only yards’ from parking to your dentist ??

trisher Fri 21-Sep-18 14:00:46

Luckygirl so sorry you didn't get your badge. You must appeal. I wonder if you are on a lot of pain medication and if this is the only reason you are able to walk at all? If so perhaps stop it the night before you have another test? It is also possible that longer walks will cause more damage to your foot, if you could get letters from your GP and your consultant advising you not to walk and supporting your request it might help.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 14:27:47

Anyway that wasn’t the point. I’m sorry too that you didn’t get one Lucky but what I’m suggesting is that you arm yourself with a walking aid, beit a stick, a walkers or one of those things that clip around your upper arm.

Go more with the balance problem.

Elegran Fri 21-Sep-18 17:33:30

You said that it only saved yards, OldMeg. When every step is painful and exhausting, even a few yards can make a vast difference. The disabled parking spaces at the supermarket are only a few yards nearer to the entrance than the general spaces, but it is worth it to park there.

In town the general parking is often a long long way from any amenities so it is even more valuable to be able to park nearer to where you want to go.

gmelon Fri 21-Sep-18 18:19:02

I'm really sorry that you've been through such a fuss.
I'd think about whether the badge is so important to you that you spend your very precious time giving it further thought. Maybe get good use out of the badge your OH has?
I have one because I have multiple sclerosis.
It was thrown at me with great gusto. I was in the local council offices sorting out a council tax issue and on my way out this woman dashed out of her office and asked me had I got a blue badge. (I use a wheelchair). I was very surprised by her.
We went in her office, she took a photo and hey prestso a few days later it arrived.
I'd never thought of it, jolly handy though.

Luckygirl Fri 21-Sep-18 18:24:41

I can only use OH's badge when he is with me - and he hardly ever goes out. Indeed he can walk better than I can a lot of the time, but qualifies as he is on high rate attendance allowance - as I have to help him with personal care both day and night because he cannot coordinate very well - but he walks not too badly at all!

I do of course use a stick Oldmeg - I manage without round the house, but could not possibly do so outdoors.

Luckygirl Fri 21-Sep-18 18:25:47

gmelon - I am glad that you have the badge - you must be one of the only people who has had this thrust upon her! smile

annsixty Fri 21-Sep-18 18:37:54

My friend went to Age UK to ask about a bluebadge, he has COPD and soon gets out of breath.
A woman came to the house with the forms but soon established that she didn't think he would qualify, however she had an array of forms and suggested she helped with another.
Result, a few weeks later he had a letter awarding him higher rate AA, with back payment already in his bank.
They were amazed.
I can say categorically that the payment is totally unjustified even though they are my friends.
It depends on who fills in your application.

OldMeg Fri 21-Sep-18 19:14:14

Elegran I don’t need a lecture from you about disabled parking dear!

Elegran Fri 21-Sep-18 19:25:30

You probably need it about as much as those who need the badge need to be told that " - in terms of relative distances from eg. the city car park to your dentist surely that is only yards saved? " if you think that car parking within staggering distance of the dentist is only yards from the city car park.

Dear.

annep Fri 21-Sep-18 19:54:01

Oldmeg you may not understand but there are good reasons for disabled spaces and its not just to have more room for getting out- dear!

Elegran Fri 21-Sep-18 20:18:57

Not everyone with a blue badge uses a wheelchair. The space to get out is essential for people who need the door wide open for themselves, let alone for getting a wheelchair alongside. I regard myself as able -bodied (apart from running out of puff on hills and stairs) but wriggling out of a car door that can only be opened about a third of the way, while my feet don't touch the ground and there is nothing solid to grab hold of and pull myself forward, is not fun.

madmagpie Fri 21-Sep-18 20:44:03

Only you really know whether you should qualify or not, and if you think you do, while looking at others that have Blue Badges, be prepared to exaggerate a little.
The guidelines for staff tell them not to take notice of Doctors observation or notes, as they will nearly always side with there patient, so really it's down to your performance on the day.

Luckygirl Fri 21-Sep-18 22:18:24

It is sad that it seems I have to put on a performance.

So may people who know me have reacted in disbelief when I tell them I do not have a blue badge; and have encouraged me to apply.

Marydoll Fri 21-Sep-18 23:14:45

*Luckygirl, I'm sorry that you didn't get a Blue Badge. Please don't give up, appeal. By appealing you are showing that you believe a Blue Badge would help you maintain your independence.
It is definitely more difficult to obtain one nowadays. When I first applied for mine years ago, all my GP had to do was say my illness was progressive and sign it.
When it needed renewed last year, a GP's letter was no longer accepted. I had to supply evidence from the various health professionals who are involved with me and list all my medication. I had no face to face interview. Some days, I can hardly walk, other days I have less problems It should be what you are like on your worst day.
Please do not give up, it has helped my retain my independence and it can do the same for you.

Jane10 Sat 22-Sep-18 09:40:51

Since my knee replacement(s) I struggle to get in and out of a car. People have suggested that I ask for a blue badge but I won't as I know my knees will get better. I'm very sympathetic to those whose mobility problems won't improve.
Currently, I have to find parking spaces where I can open the door as fully as possible otherwise I'm absolutely stuck! In practice this means parking at the remotest end of a car park or - gasp- over 2 spaces. It's a struggle but I persevere. Imagine how happy I am on eventually arriving at the shop door to find the disabled spaces taken up by cars and white vans with not a badge in sight and mothers' massive 4 wheel drive cars containing just them and a tiny baby. They must all wonder why this poor old thing with a stick and limping heavily scowls at them. Grrr!