Gransnet forums

Chat

Blue badge examination this morning........

(57 Posts)
Luckygirl Fri 14-Sep-18 07:54:30

.......any ideas from those of you who have done this?

I can walk - but with a lot of pain, a stick and very slowly. I start of OK for a short while and then am very slow and in discomfort.

My OH has a blue badge and sometimes he walks better than I do - he gets it because he is on a qualifying benefit.

Luckygirl Sat 22-Sep-18 09:53:29

I think what has miffed me most was that the assessor in her report described me as having an "antalgic gait" which is posh language for walks in a pain-avoidance fashion. The implication of her conclusion was that it is just fine for me to be in pain when I walk any distance and I do not need the advantage of being able to park nearer where I am going and avoid that pain. Hmmmm!

Witzend Sat 22-Sep-18 09:53:31

Mawbroon, I wish I'd applied for one for my mother after she'd had dementia for some years. She could walk to some extent, but not the distance from e.g. car park to optician, and it was impossible ever to drop her off while I parked - she'd forget whatever I said instantly, panic and probably wander off. I would have to take a taxi for such things..

I only realised after she'd already been there for quite a while that the care home where she spent her last years had blue badges to borrow! But by then it was mostly too late - she'd forgotten how to get in and out of a car, no,longer knew what to do with her arms and legs and would get very agitated if you tried however gently to steer her in.

MawBroon Sat 22-Sep-18 10:20:22

Still hinting to my friend whom I take to Waitrose with her DH with dementia, but getting nowhere!

Jane10 Sat 22-Sep-18 10:44:24

It's a sair fecht richt eneugh! (for MawBroon's benefit.)

MawBroon Sat 22-Sep-18 10:48:52

gringrin

Marydoll Sat 22-Sep-18 20:05:45

Good grief, is my mother posting here? That was her favourite saying. grin