Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite jewellery

(36 Posts)
NanKate Fri 14-Sep-18 08:10:43

I love the costume jewellery I have collected over the years. I never spend much and can source it through Charity shops, Antique centres and Fairs.

My latest acquisitions are Art Deco both Bakelite which was all the fashion in those times. One is a a predominately purple butterfly brooch which DH is giving me later this month for my birthday. The other is what you would call a statement piece with black and white beads the shape of tubular pasta and then at the base a black and white bird. Now it isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I love it.

I notice Prue Leith on Bake Off wears statement jewellery but hers is pricey I would think.

Do you have any favourite jewellery you like to wear ?

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 16:44:50

He used to be, until he met me! grin

He must have been saving for along time to buy it. ?

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 16:14:57

Fabulous Mary. I have never posted a photo on GN before. I am hoping once DH has downloaded them from his IPhone onto my main computer I will be able to show you some of my latest acquisitions.

Oh to be married to a multi millionaire like your DH Mary ?

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:19:23

Yes! However, he must have a Swiss bank account, I know nothing of! ?

Chewbacca Sun 16-Sep-18 15:17:34

Wow Marydoll that's a stunner all right! I love the simplicity of the setting, so that it's the beautifully cut ruby that is the show stopper. You could wear that anywhere, it's so classic. Lucky girl!

Marydoll Sun 16-Sep-18 15:10:22

My husband bought me this for our ruby wedding anniversary last year. The photo does not do it justice. It is a raspberry coloured 4 carat ruby.
I was totally shocked, but I absolutely love it.

NanKate Sun 16-Sep-18 07:30:34

If we lived near each other Mary I suspect we would trawl the antiques/vintage stalls together and come back with quite a haul.

One of the 9 items is for a friend which I hope she likes.

Since watching Bargain Hunt I always get them to knock some money off, I could never have done that a year or two back.

Apricity Sun 16-Sep-18 01:52:31

I love to buy modestly priced jewellery when I travel, it's such a lovely reminder of a trip and light to carry if overseas. I just wear necklaces and earrings these days, no rings, osteo in finger joints and 'granny freckles' on my hands sorted that out. My granddaughters love my necklaces, one made of painted wooden balls is known as Nonna's balls.

annodomini Sat 15-Sep-18 22:19:44

I always wear my granny's engagement ring, dated May 1904 and with granny's and grandpa's initials inside. It's a simple row of little diamonds but very sparkly.
A favourite piece is an antique amethyst and seed pearl pendant which my mother gave me for my 21st. With a small legacy she left me 22 years later, I bought a pair of earrings which match it perfectly. I have loads of earrings and feel undressed without them.

kittylester Sat 15-Sep-18 21:17:57

I always wear my wedding and engagement rings and a diamond ring dh had designed for our 40th wedding anniversary.

I have other nice diamond rings which I wear sometimes and a few nice silver bracelets and a heart shaped silver necklace but I love beads of all sorts!

travelsafar Sat 15-Sep-18 21:02:39

I dont really do jewellery but I always wear a gold chain with a small drop containing a diamond that my mum bought me one year for Christmas, I never take it off, I love it so much.
Always wear half hoop earings too as my ears are pierced and of course my wedding ring.My eternity ring and engagement ring are both in a box as my knuckles are so swollen now with arthritis that i can't get them off very easily if i need to.

Marydoll Sat 15-Sep-18 20:46:39

A girl after my own heart, Nankate, in fact, I think you are worse than me. grin

NanKate Sat 15-Sep-18 19:46:10

I have to fess up I bought 9 items at the 1940s vintage tent ! I couldn’t resist but will keep some for DH to give me at that end of year event that I don’t want to mention by name ?

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 22:31:14

Thanks NanKate.

NanKate Fri 14-Sep-18 21:48:34

Love the ring Ann

NanKate Fri 14-Sep-18 21:47:55

You would be more than welcome to join me Marydoll. I knew we had a lot in common. ?

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 21:41:22

Well done Chewbacca!

Chewbacca Fri 14-Sep-18 21:23:23

I won a bid on Ebay for a black pendant. It has the letters "IMO" carved into it. When it arrived, i found that it didnt have a bale to thread a chain through and so took it to a local jewellers to be fitted. When I went to collect it, he told me that it was Victorian Whitby jet and was a mourning pendant (In Memory Of) and was worth about £200. Bargain! I paid £5!

I wear the jet pendant on the days I'm working but not really any other time. Don't know why because I've got some nice pieces that I do like, but just don't wear anymore. The stuff I really didn't have any attachment or particularly like, I sold off.

annep Fri 14-Sep-18 21:09:13

I love jewellery. Alk kinds. Its lovely to hear what others have. Photos would be nice.
Marydoll that does sound such a bargain. I too have a blue john stone pendant. But my favourite is my emerald and diamond engagement ring.

Marydoll Fri 14-Sep-18 20:59:09

NanKate, I would come with you, if I lived nearer! I love vintage jewellery.
I have just come back from Rome with a string of rough cut emeralds, which I haggled down to €25. They are full of inclusions, but I will make them into a necklace.
I always do this in Rome. My local jeweller was admiring a necklace I had on and asked me where I got the stones. I didn't tell her it was the Roman flea market.grin

grannyactivist Fri 14-Sep-18 20:58:36

I wear a collar length pearl necklace (a gift from my children) more or less every day, along with pearl earrings. I have some beautiful large grey pearls and a lovely two strand pink pearl necklace with matching earrings that I wear when I can bear to. They were bought in Thailand when my daughter and her first husband got married there, but since he was killed I often find the connection too poignant.

NanKate Fri 14-Sep-18 20:43:18

Thank you Shysal and Jane10 for your lovely photos.

I am going to another 1940s day tomorrow when I hope to come back with a pendant or two. I will report back.

callgirl1 Fri 14-Sep-18 17:03:50

I`m not a ring person, just my wedding and eternity rings, even my engagement ring is hardly ever worn. I have very little "real" jewellery, but my favourite is a turquoise and gold bracelet that my husband bought for me from a small jewellers in Kusadasi, Turkey, in 1994. It was priced at £180, he tried to haggle, but just couldn`t get them to go below £170. Alas, my wrist is now too thick to be able to wear it anymore.

Cherrytree59 Fri 14-Sep-18 15:32:37

I always wear my wedding ring engagement ring and eternity ring.
I have a gold twisted knot gold ring on my right middle finger.
DH wears the matching ring.

When my first DGC was born my daughter gave me a silver and purple enameled bangle as a gift from my little grandson.

I wear it every day.
When I am thinking or missing any of my three DGS I rub my thumb over the bangle and it connects them to me.
silly I know smile

Teetime Fri 14-Sep-18 15:18:08

I do and I'm very lucky my husband has a very good eye for jewellery and for value for money!!

Jane10 Fri 14-Sep-18 15:11:10

I love this ring which DH bought after a well organised campaign by the DCs. I've always preferred cabochon set stones to faceted ones. These stones remind me of fruit gums!