Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's super supportive kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 14:06:49

Crumbs, opening a new kitchen is a bit of a responsibility. I hope everyone finds it - I'll just leave the door ajar.

Bubbles and cake on the side - enjoy!

Willow500 Sun 16-Sep-18 21:39:47

Hello this is the first time I've ventured into the kitchen not being very good at cooking, baking or anything kitchen related but I have just spent the last hour going through the previous thread and wanted to pass on my regards to all those I've seen on other threads.

Soop I hope you soon feel better - I had that bug at the beginning of the year and felt truly awful!

Morethan I'm so sorry to hear about your DiL - I've followed your story from afar and know how devastating this latest news must be. Thinking of you and your son.

I'm also praying for better news of Panache - such an amazing lady.

Ann - I'm delighted to hear you've managed to go on holiday with your GD and had a good rest. This will help in the coming days when you bring your husband home.

I haven't been on GN much in the last couple of weeks as we have been off work on 'holiday' which we've spent painting and renovating but it's back to work tomorrow so I will endeavour to keep on top of everything.

I hope you all manage sleep tonight brew

Nannytopsy Sun 16-Sep-18 21:54:01

Hello everyone! Pizza and sausage rolls on the side fresh from DGS’s birthday party. Poor lamb had such a lovely day then a visit to A&E with a bad cut on his finger. Big brother and a pen knife. I will say no more. ?

Synonymous Sun 16-Sep-18 22:31:48

(((Hugs))) and flowers to all and wishing you all a restful night.moonbrewcupcake

grannyqueenie Sun 16-Sep-18 22:56:38

Just wanted to nip into the new kitchen (thanks for doing the necessary kitty) to send get well wishes to soop - you really do sound “proper poorly”. Please see your GP ASAP, you are such a special person and we are all worrying about you, we really don’t want you to miss that trip you’ve so carefully planned. Hugs to you and MacS who I’m sure is also worrying about you. xx

greyduster, when I read earlier the list of stuff you were preparing and cooking for todays lunch I felt a wee bit dizzy myself, no wonder the juggling got a bit much! Sounds like you’ve trained that ds of yours well (every family needs at least one a boss, otherwise nothing would get done) and we all need a helping hand sometimes!

Last day of our holiday today, we’ve had a good time but are now both ready for home... though I may not feel that by the end of the week!

Wishing kitchen folk old or new, chatty or quiet a peaceful and restful night xx

cornergran Sun 16-Sep-18 23:03:19

Evening All.

I’ve cleaned for 17 hours in the last two days, if anyone needs cleaning help please don’t ask me. I never want to see a wet cloth again and don’t get me started about my relationship with mould. grin.

Thank you kitty for the new kitchen. Although I appreciate you opening up for us I am worried about our soop. If you are able to read posts please do see a doctor again soop, can’t but wonder if the anti b’s are having an unwanted effect. Perhaps a change of prescription is needed. Still, what do I know? Not much hmm.

Apologies in advance, there’s no way I can remember a weekend of posts but before I forget I would like to say a big ‘hello’ to those I haven’t met before. Please keep calling in, lots of room here.

I am delighted that you had the holiday you needed ann There’s always a ‘but’, in this case please remember your own needs now you’re back.

Hugs to maw, how wonderful you and paw found each other, I hope today has been manageable with comfort from good memories.

I too often wonder how our children reached the age they have. One of ours has a birthday soon (not Virgoan but still perfect smile), a reminder that I’m still here and also a year older. I’ve now exceeded my Mum’s age at her death by 3 years, a sense of invincibility is growing. Where does time go?

Thinking about your desire for portable technology soop, then, yes, I do like an iPad but to be honest any make of tablet will allow you to keep in touch . Just don’t get hooked smile.

Macs is so kind to update us about soop, thank you so much. I must acknowledge a worry about panache, it’s too quiet for my liking.

There seem to be a few birthdays about, congratulations to all and to the cake makers. I do like a piece of birthday cake, especially if it’s GF.

Well, I actually went to sleep in the middle of this. Mr C has just woken me and told me to stop. He’s undoubtedly right. The last two have been non stop but I’m so pleased we did it, shows we can and good to help.

Take care all.

NonnaW Mon 17-Sep-18 00:12:15

Can I add my thanks to kitty for the new kitchen and get well wishes to soop, we really need you to be in full health, we miss you. morethan, words cannot express how sad I feel for you and your family, what can we say but to keep plugging on, your family surely appreciate you just being there.
My DS1 is likely to be coming home to mum for some support in the very near future. He has had so many problems with his DD lately, now she has gone to live with her mother (who left her 10months ago) and suddenly all the problems are DS’s fault. He is at breaking point so of course I said to come here for a break from it all (yes,I know, ex partner will still be able to contact him, but being out of the immediate vicinity may help, I really hope anyway).

kittylester Mon 17-Sep-18 07:35:27

Morning everyone!

Just popped in to check for updates on our poorly kitchener - take care of yourselves.

It sounds as though you all had a happy day gd - worth the stress!

Ann good luck today and try to factor in some 'you time' difficult I know.

corner you need a big sit down by the sounds of it. brew I bet your efforts were appreciated though.

NonnaW I'm sure your son will enjoy a bit of cherishing.

Welcome home gq. brew

Topsy sounds like a great party! grin

Anyone seen bags lately?

Busy day ahead - ironing, dentist (definitely going to be expensive!), delivering DD3'S washing home and then DD1 is coming to stay tonight as she is attending a training course near to us.

I'll try to get back for updates - look after yourselves!

morethan2 Mon 17-Sep-18 07:54:11

I’m glad your feeling better soop I found the kitchen open late last night thanks to kitty leaving the door ajar. I was feeling very wobbly indeed. I had a sudden thought of ‘she’s not going to make it this time’ and I frightened myself. I wrote it all down on the kitchen table then ripped it up and threw it away. I didn’t want some poor soul to find such awful thoughts in this lovely new kitchen next day and upset them. Just the writing it down was cathartic though. I’m never looking at Dr Google again. I’ve joined a hydride class so I best pull myself together and get on my bike. I’ll leave you with vision of a grey haired, red faced, swimming clad dough bodied puffed out granny in a swimming pool riding a bike and getting precisely nowhere.

cornergran Mon 17-Sep-18 08:36:07

Oh morethan, if writing helps then do it. Please don’t worry about us. My head is like fog this morning so I can’t find the right words, will send a huge hug instead.

I’d never heard of hydride. I’m sure you will be graceful and elegant, it sounds as if it could be fun in an exhausting sort of way.

I’m quite frankly shattered this morning but that will pass quickly enough. Hoping to hear positives about our poorly people.

Good luck with the dentist kitty, sounds as if you are expecting a pain in the pocket.

Hope to be back later when I’ve found my head again. If anyone sees it please send it back grin.

Greyduster Mon 17-Sep-18 08:44:06

Good morning, kitcheners! Soop and Panache hope you are both improving rapidly.

morethan I looked up hydride on t’interweb and all I could find was a chemical formula for something metallic! Is it a new form of exercise? Whatever it is, I hope it will take your mind off things if even for a short while. You and your family are travelling a hard road. My heart goes out to you. Keep on writing it down and tearing it up. Keep talking to us.

Nonna I’m sorry your son is having problems at the moment. We have had a similar situation in the past and it was good for him to know there was somewhere else he could be if he needed it.

Gq I’m glad you enjoyed your holiday. I’m always glad to come home too, even when where we’ve been seems so perfect. Our son and DiL are trying to persuade us to go with them somewhere abroad next year but, sensibly, they go away in school term time and I’m not sure yet whether we will be able to manage that. A commitment is a commitment. We’ll try and work something out to have a holiday with them before we get too long in the tooth to go anywhere!! Can’t imagine why they would want us cramping their style, but there you go!

Corner put your feet up! That’s an order!

We are having a quiet day today. Just the school run to do later. Hopefully, if the weather looks promising, we will have a run to the coast tommorrow.
I will look in later.

soop Mon 17-Sep-18 11:44:24

I'm having a tearful moment. You lot are the absolute tops. Should anyone dare to dismiss the camaraderie we share...I shall get very uppity and make an unladylike fuss. THANK you all for being dear, kind, caring peoples. sunshine flowers and I would so love a bottle of bubbly to share right now. One of those bloody big bottles of bubbly that racing car drivers love to waste on spraying each other. Utter madness.

I wanted to visit FB for a quick update. I needed to visit our kitchen because you lot matter. I see that we have some very welcome newcomers. The more, the merrier. What's more, there appears to be a whole lot of cake on offer. Even though my appetite isn't as hearty as it should be, I bags a big slice of everything going. I shall squirrel my share away and make up for lost time when I feel a whole lot better.

Ann You, my dear, have had a well deserved break. I have been thinking of you.

Also, Panache is never far from my thoughts. Either I, or MacS check the emails for news update.

I am about to look at iPads. At times such as this, I really need to keep in touch with you lot. The computer is far too bulky to join me between the sheets!

Love to every one of you. I wish you a peaceful Monday. x

Greyduster Mon 17-Sep-18 12:20:16

Beware the iPad, Soop! They are wonderful but very soon become attached to you like a third upper limb if you are not careful! I am a bit of a lost cause when it comes to being able to leave it alone for very long!

Charleygirl Mon 17-Sep-18 12:30:48

I am glued to my computer, that is why little or no work ever gets done here.

I do hope you poorly folk are feeling better and that we hear about Panache fairly soon.

I agree, ann you need "me" time to be able to remain sane.

corner what on earth were you cleaning that took you so long? Was it the Forth Road bridge by hand? Whatever it was I am sure that it was greatly appreciated. It is feet up time for the remainder of the week.

Summer has returned to NW London. The fluffy washer woman has been at work but it is warm enough to sunbathe and watch the weeds grow.

Nannyali Mon 17-Sep-18 12:36:51

I love what people post on here it makes me feel how good people are and how we all care for others . Some of the posts make me cry some laugh but most just make me feel glad I stumbled across Gransnet . Thank you x

Bellanonna Mon 17-Sep-18 12:42:20

What a lovely, positive comment Nannyali.

cornergran Mon 17-Sep-18 12:43:35

Summer Charley? Its blowing a gale here, not cold in fairness but no sunshine either. It was just a house, but a very grubby one. It was pristine when I left, my job was done! As you can tell I'm currently sat down with a computer, did a bit of baking earlier, nothing much else today and tomorrow is a social day, so all is good.

I agree about the potential for addiction to an iPad. Mr C moans constantly that I am as he puts it 'faffing about' with it. I invariably reply I am looking up something vitally important. Well, GN is important. grin

Good to see you soop, we know you are thinking about us if not able to pop in. I had a quick look at a thread where the kitchen wasn't top of someones happy list, well, each to their own, good job we aren't all the same. Don't let it disturb you, it's just life.

Hope the holiday works out greyd, isn't it lovely when family want to spend time with us? Can understand the desire to avoid school holidays and your worry about going in term time. You'll find a solution if there is one to be had.

Welcome home grannyq, good to be away but oh so good to be home. I wonder why I go sometimes, probably much happier here, boring soul that I am.

I come bearing cake. GF lemon and almond cake with a very sticky topping, not sure how that happened but it tastes OK and some GF chocolate brownies. Don't let the GF deter you, both taste as they should.

I'm off now, think its lunch time. Get well soon all poorly people.

Jalima1108 Mon 17-Sep-18 13:09:07

It's blowing here although it is quite warm - is this the tropical storm that has arrived?
It rained earlier on, then the sun came out so I hung out washing and now it looks very dark and stormy out there again. Perhaps the sun was 'the eye of the storm'.

I hope all poorly kitcheners are on the mend - I made some nice hot soup if you feel like it.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:05:52

Wishing all poorly kitcheners well ??

I have some bananas on the turn so shall bake some banana bread and leave some on the kitchen worktop for you all.

Soop it sounds like you need a home visit from your GP and maybe a tonic.

Nannyali, I wholeheartedly agree with your post, I am so grateful that I found gransnett, there is always a friend here to talk to.

Galen Mon 17-Sep-18 14:23:04

Found you!
Parked outside Cadiz atm. Just returned from visit to bodega trying Sherry and now drinking grey goose and tonic. Lovely and sunny here.
Hope you lot are behaving in my absence.
Well done Kitty the new one is lovely.

morethan2 Mon 17-Sep-18 14:29:57

Sorry all it was early morning after a not great nights sleep. It’s Hydrorider. Any way it’s just a heavy bike put in the deep end of a swimming pool and you excercise while riding. Well your supposed to, I’m not sure I’ve got the hang of it yet. I joined because. I went merrily along to the appoint with the nurse for the ‘over 65 check’ and taking all the results into account I had a heart and body of somone much older. I didn’t want pills so she advised arrobic type excercise three times a week. So I joined the local leisure centre. It was when we thought my DiL was on the up. I’m hoping to keep going depending on childminding responsibilities because it’s probably good for stress too.

Doodle Mon 17-Sep-18 14:39:56

willow500 welcome to the kitchen. You don't need to be a wiz at baking you are welcome here anyway shop bought cake is always acceptable grin

Doodle Mon 17-Sep-18 14:49:52

nona so sorry your son is troubled at the moment. Hopefully his stay with you will restore the balance if possible. Do hope things with his family improve for him.

morthan2 you should know by now the kitchen is a place where you can share your thoughts. There are no 'virtual' feelings in this kitchen only genuine care for others. What you and your family are going through is really hard to cope with and if putting it down here helps please do so. Thinking of you flowers
nanyali ?
Sending get well soon thoughts to soop and panache and any other poorly kitcheners.
Thank those who have left goodies. I will be back later for any leftovers. ?

Greyduster Mon 17-Sep-18 14:54:11

Ah! Sounds rather strenuous, Morethan but at least if you fall off you will have a soft landing! And yes, the exercise will be more than physically beneficial to you. I was ready to take up aqua aerobics again this year after sundry health difficulties last year, but now I have a problem hip so I am advised to stick to gentle swimming and level walking, so not a whole lot of fun there, then!
This morning I found the insect that invaded my clothing yesterday. It looked like a small wasp. When I ripped off my shirt in a panic I must have damaged one of its wings, so it wasn’t going very far. It certainly isn’t now!!
Galen I hope you aren’t singeing the King of Spain’s beard all over again out there in Cadiz harbour! Perhaps if they had had vodka and tonic back then, peace may have broken out, who knows?
Off to do GS duties. A bientot!

soop Mon 17-Sep-18 14:57:57

morethantwo I am so sorry that all is far from well. Never be afraid to share your fears and hopes with us lot. We do care. flowers

Day6 Mon 17-Sep-18 16:09:32

Hello all. The door was open so I looked in. I hope you don't mind. What a lovely warm kitchen this is.

I cannot pretend to know what's gone on before or all the difficulties some kitcheners are facing but I wish you all well. If I could cook some healing balm I would. Life can be so hard, can't it?

In the meantime I am happy to brew up, wash up, lend an ear, lend a hand or to stand in the corner and become a leaning post.

We all need one of those sometimes, don't we. My best wishes to all.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion