Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's super supportive kitchen.

(1001 Posts)
kittylester Sun 16-Sep-18 14:06:49

Crumbs, opening a new kitchen is a bit of a responsibility. I hope everyone finds it - I'll just leave the door ajar.

Bubbles and cake on the side - enjoy!

soop Thu 18-Oct-18 11:42:31

Good morning lovely peoples.

Ann Yes! You have reached the right decision. You have done so after giving your all. No one could have done more to give your husband the support, care and attention, that he deserves. I am relieved. I am thankful. You have put your own life on hold for as long as you could. Now it is time to open a new chapter. Your husband will settle. I see first hand how new residents "fit in" in the local care home. Bless you. You are an inspiration to us all. flowers

The trip to Oban hospital included a stop off for lunch at the visitor centre at Kilmartin. No fish 'n' chips but we had tasty toasties and a vast slice of sticky orange and almond cake. The sun shone. The scenery was lovely.
The consultant was relieved to hear that MacS hadn't succumbed to the virus that has floored a few of us. He's to have a CT scan within the next few weeks. The main cluster of swollen lymph nodes are nestling deep in his abdomen, close to the aneurysm. Monitoring what is going on, is crucial.

On arriving home, I took the following photo to share with you all.

I haven't yet caught up. I have ironing duties straight after lunch. My pal has been away for a few days. Her washing machine is turbo-charged. There will be a mountain of laundry to tackle. If I can pop in again when I return, I shall do so.

Izabella Thu 18-Oct-18 12:15:16

Annesixty well done. A difficult decision which you have worked towards with grace and compassion. I wish you well.

Overthehills Thu 18-Oct-18 12:25:44

Thankyou all so much for your care and support - it means so much. Many of you have such a difficult time and are coping with such graciousness and good humour. DD came this morning and was very much “on the edge” but so brave. DGD has gone off to her father but asked Mummy to ask him not to talk about what happened yesterday and obviously she did that. She’s back tomorrow so ??that all goes well today at least. As DD says we can only take one day at a time.
To all of you flowers

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 12:56:34

Soop what a beautiful sunset! Thanks for the update on MacS - he definitely needs monitoring so it's good to know the consultant is on top of it.

Good luck with the ironing - I washed a drawer full of scarves the other day (even though I don't wear most of them) and felt they had to be ironed along with the normal loads - I seemed to be at it for ages!

soop Thu 18-Oct-18 13:04:05

Overthehills I've had a chance to catch up with your distressing news regarding your daughter and granddaughter. "That man" sounds like a total nightmare. His selfish behaviour beggars belief. Please continue to share your misgivings with us lot. It must seem like a lonely vigil that you are keeping. flowers

Galen Thu 18-Oct-18 13:20:04

Ann definitely the right decision. There are two people on a relationship and both count. You’re as important as he is
Wellcome to Maddy

Judthepud2 Thu 18-Oct-18 15:24:37

Oh annesixty so pleased to hear you have pretty well made your decision. It must have been a difficult one but if DH is well cared for and you are getting some rest it will be better for all concerned.

Over my heart goes out to your DD and to you. These problems are so distressing and heartbreaking, and do the children involved no good at all. If this goes to court, try to get a good family law barrister to plead on your side. Expensive, I know, but could be worth it in the end. The courts try to put the needs of the children before all other considerations. We have a crisis looming in our family too (see my post about Grandson Confusion) and I am really conflicted about it.

soop glad your trip had its upside yesterday, but you must be concerned about MacS. My DH who had a hernia repair on Monday, has been diagnosed with a very slow heartbeat and referred to a cardiologist. Possibly needs a pacemaker. He is very shocked! The worries never end, do they?

callgirl1 Thu 18-Oct-18 16:48:07

Soop, I`m pleased you enjoyed your lunch at the visitor centre at Kilmartin, we had sandwiches when we were there, very tasty too. You and MacS must be quite worried, I hope the CT scan result is satisfactory. And that is one beautiful sunset!
Ann, how are you today? I`ve had you in my thoughts ever since I read your post yesterday.
Overthehills, what a shocking state of affairs, and fancy the man putting his child through such stress, unbelievable!
Willow, I hope your picture frame rides out the storm! I`m still fighting the stairlift battle with Mia, isn`t it funny that she doesn`t bother with it during the day, only after I go to bed?
Jud, my best wishes to your husband, and love to Georgie.

NanaandGrampy Thu 18-Oct-18 17:06:48

Evening all !!

Lovely photo Soop , glad to hear all went well and you had my attention at orange and almond cake !!

Overthehills sometimes the behaviour of some ex's leaves me speechless ( and that doesn't happen often!!) I have no time for anyone who uses their child as a weapon!! Tell your DD to take heart x

Ann , a decision hard made I know but you are so right and maybe it is not only what's best for you but for him too to be somewhere safe and monitored 24/7. Sending you a big glass of wine...( hugs are ok but wine counts !!)

Young Stevie called to tell us he got Author of the week with his version of Beauty and Beast. He gets to read it out in assembly ! After writing it out by hand he then had to take it to the computer lab and put it online. I for one am super impressed !

Its stew and dumplings for dinner- plenty for all!!

Izabella Thu 18-Oct-18 17:55:17

ooooh dumplings!!! Would you save me some please?

Nannytopsy Thu 18-Oct-18 17:56:20

Ann, I hope that you can soon get to a point where the time you spend together has some quality to it, rather than being full of work and problems for you. Even when Mum was no longer able to communicate, we knew that she was warm, comfortable and cared for in a way that always needed two people. We couldn’t have done that and nor could you. flowers

Willow500 Thu 18-Oct-18 18:08:01

N&G Stevie's story made me smile - what a clever lad and well worth Author of the week!

Also if anyone ever wondered what Elton John's song Daniel was all about, my little grandson (3) has had a think while it was played it in their car for the hundredth time - (he obviously likes it). Basically the man is singing about his brother, Daniel died in a plane crash because his eyes don't work and the captain flying the plane wasn't looking where he was going and they had a horrible crash. So there you have it. He's destined to be a song writer grin

cornergran Thu 18-Oct-18 18:30:55

Stevie deserves his moment of fame n&g, he’s a clever lad. You also deserve to be proud smile.

Lovely sunset soop, all good wishes for a positive outcome for macs. Fingers will be crossed here. You also must be worried jud, you’re right, there’s always something to worry about.

Had a trip out this morning to a different small town with a beach. The impetus was a toy shop stocking something we comsidered for Littlest for the word we mustn’t say. (Feels a bit like Voldemort for Harry Potter fans). Dithered and left it there - we’ll go back on Saturday to get it. No hope for this dithery pair is there? Had a nice walk anyway, sun shone and an almost empty beach.

soop Thu 18-Oct-18 18:42:30

Duties done. grin Back home and ready to relax.

N&G Young Stevie has talent. I love his imaginative approach to Beauty and the Beast.
Save stew and dumplings for me please. I haven't had a dumpling for some years.

Jud Old age isn't for the likes of us or our loved ones. It can be best described as a buggeration with bells on. flowers

Willow I love that song. Your wee grandson's reasoning put a huge smile on my face. grin

That's all for today. I guess that we are not too far away from opening a new kitchen. Should I be absent, please will the last visitor do the honours of unlocking the door and inviting us lot to celebrate. smile moon

grannyqueenie Thu 18-Oct-18 18:51:48

You can’t take your eye off the ball here in the kitchen, ‘cos life moves on apace if you do...and guess what, I did! So realistically I’m not going remember who said said what, so apologies all. But thanks for those who chipped in with conservatory advice, the 2nd chap is coming to estimate tomorrow so I’ve more questions to ask this time around. Welcome maddy, hope you like it here and stay awhile.

Ann, I’m hugely relieved on your behalf that you’ve reached decision time about care for your husband in the future. But at the same time I’m so very sad for you that it’s a decision you’ve had to face after so many years spent together. And I’m glad at the thought of you being relieved of the huge stress you’ve had in your life recently. Thinking of you as you go forward, I hope you know, after reading so many affirmative posts, that really it’s the only choice you can make to ensure the well being of both of you ?

soop that was an amazing sunset picture. You must be worried about your darling man, I’m glad the medics are planning on keeping an eye on things. * panache*, lovely to see you’re still able to pop in, we miss you when you can’t.
overthehill that’s an awful situation for your daughter to be in, she’ll need reserves of courage, strength and wisdom to ride the storm and protect her wee girl as she does so.

callgirl I smiled at your account of theatre going, sorry but I did, and yours too maw. My old boy has bought tickets for the Nutcracker for a few weeks time. It’s in an old theatre and I suspect I may be gasping by the time I reach my seat!

The sun was shining and the sky was blue, we found ourselves unexpectedly free so off we went to a local garden. I had to limit my meandering as my ankle is still puffy and a bit sore but managed a few photos to capture the day.

Greyduster Thu 18-Oct-18 20:01:47

I am late coming to the kitchen today - it took us over an hour to do a twenty minute journey home from DD’s this evening the traffic was backed up just because of one set of temporary traffic lights!
Overthehill I was sorry to hear your daughter’s troubles. Her ex sounds truly despicable. A distressing situation indeed. Thank goodness she and your DGD have you in their corner. ?
N&G well done young Stevie! Very good command of language and well put together! He deserved the accolade!
Any stew left? I had half an omelette. I didn’t want a lot but omelettes aren’t really my favourite food, so I gave up on it early!
Soop lovely sunset! As Gq said, good to know that MacS is under close medical supervision for his condition. Give him a hug from the kitchen!
Gq those are lovely autumny photos! Good to know you managed to take your foot for a walk! It lifts you to be outside, doesn’t it?
We had a long walk in local woods today before the school run and it was glorious, but the autumn colours are slow coming. There is, however, a phenomenal crop of chestnuts this year - everyone we met agreed they’d never seen so many. And many of them were larger than usual. We collected quite a few. I do love foraging! Now all I have to do is not ruin them when I cook them like I did last year! Anyone got any foolproof ideas?
GS had to draw a butterfly for his science homework. He had a picture to refer to. I simply can’t understand his inability to shape what he sees into a workable drawing. We have a long way to go, but bless him, he does try hard! He did, however, impress me with his three D model of a nerve cell, made out of a pink washing up sponge, some wires, other miscellaneous bits and pieces - and pasta tubes! Things are looking up!
I am now going to put my feet up and have a nice glass of wine. Have a lovely evening all.

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 10:11:34

Please will the last visitor be kind enough to open our new kitchen. I'm dashing off to visit our pal in the care home. Won't be back home until early afternoon. Love to every one of you. smile

Panache Fri 19-Oct-18 10:12:01

Sorry folks for seemingly to make my visits at various times of the day,in fact whilst these hospital appointments continue even I don`t know where I am!!!
There is discussion to cut them down as pressure builds in Hospitals over winter and the Medics primary concern is to keep me free from further infections.

Whilst my dear man has often brought me for a country or seaside run after treatment,or indeed tea at next door M & S.....but with those C crowds amassing again I think I had best skip those visits over these next few months.

I will opt for some of your Stew & dumplings N & G....you certainly know how to warm the heart!
Well done young Stevie,I believe you have an aspiring author in your midst.

Whilst it seems your young grandson is destined to become a song writer eh Willow???.......great hopes for these futures.

Whilst these matters are a bind as I am sure you agree Soop and the other dear ones always travelling hither and thither,but the one main thing is our Medics care and are truly looking after us........hopefully your MacS recieves favourable results in good time, but so good that he is being well cared for.
No news of Synonamous and her man as yet but hopefully good news will follow.

Absolutely stunning pictures bringing in the autumnal delights G Q and GreyD...........so uplifting.
After the storm we have had such a calm sunny week,a real treat.

Easy does it for the poor offending foot it seems G.Q....time alone is the great healer.

Surprising what our bodies and legs can do when they must Callgirl........well done you and I hope those stairs did not cause another mischief!
Seems you have booked for yet more probable climb to get to your seats!.......a glutton for punishment!

Corner...........you have my problem.......walking away when you have just found the ideal item you were searching for..........usually on my reurn it was to find it had been sold,so a lesson was quickly learned!

No Charley???..........sincerely hope you are getting stronger again .?

As such a poor sleeper it is NOT a good idea "kicking off" the morning Kitchen friends........ as my mind is scrambled!

Heavens help you all if I am left clutching the closing door here........so apologies to the many not mentioned,we are such a great crowd now that is virtually impossable,but please know thinking of you all and trusting this new day starts well, and continues to bring some kind of peace and harmony to your lives,whatever those issues that bother you.
Let the sun shine in through these windows!!!

kittylester Fri 19-Oct-18 12:58:17

I would be very grateful if you lot would do nothing on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I'm really busy on those days and there always seems to be lots of activity for me to catch up with!

Lovely to see you posts Panache and I don't blame you for avoiding the crowds. Hunker down - it's what winters, especially, is made for!

We do have a very talented bunch of grandchildren don't we (OK not including drawing butterflies!) On the not of talented DGC, I would like to boast that the baby has pooed!! DD was getting a bit worried. When the midwife weighed him he had only lost 2oz but DD was sure it was just a back log!

As far as theatre visits go, the stairs I find reasonably easy but heights are just the giddy limit (boom boom!!) We went to see West Side Story at Sadlers Wells a few years ago and the only tickets that were available by the time we came to book (organised as always!) were almost on the roof! I had to do the shuffle along the seats with my back to the view too. Luckily, it wasn't too bad watching the performance, something to focus on maybe, but getting back down the steps was a complete nightmare. I have disgraced myself on many a castle rampart when I have decided that it was time I stopped being silly about heights. Time to admit defeat!!

overthehills, I empathise with you completely!! The frozen leg of lamb doesn't seem enough to deal with Idiots like that. I hope the visit went well. jud, DD did find that Relate gave them good advice on how to deal with the Idiot as far as Bertie was concerned but he hasn't seen the children for 6 months!angry

I'm sorry if I've missed anyone's news but please take care until I see you in the new kitchen. As always, leave trail of cake crumbs and empty bottles so we can find you.

What a lot of lovely photographs. The sunset is fabulous soop and I love the autumnal ones. Please take care of MacS and yourself too, of course!

Panache Fri 19-Oct-18 13:19:17

Oh trust me to do a big booby!!!!
So sorry my kitchen friends but when there were no followers to my early morning post,judging it to be at The End, I hastily opened another............. and by my mis spelling you will rate it as just that,done VERY hastily!...........I did say I was half asleep!!!

Relief to note your posting Kitty and I have hastily contacted The Office kindly requesting they remove my effort!

I retreat with my head hanging in shame!
Perhaps Kitty it would be better if I "hunkered down" until at least the spring!!!

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:47:06

The photographs are beautiful. I love the colours of Autumn.

We've just this minute returned from the Friday visit to Campbeltown. Put shopping away. Make a pot of coffee. Sit down and try to catch up with you lot grin

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:48:57

Panache I often get trigger happy. Bless you. You will have dibs at the cake that I shall leave in the new kitchen. It's home-made bought. xxx

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:50:06

I cannot possibly put my mind to other matters because I want the new kitchen to be open to all visitors. Bear with me. wink

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:50:48

One last look round. Gather up the favourite cushions and such...

soop Fri 19-Oct-18 13:51:09

Away to open the door...grin

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion