Gransnet forums

Chat

Ironing the wrong way round

(79 Posts)
Eglantine21 Tue 25-Sep-18 16:06:03

Well, the lover has moved in and considering we are two aged people who have lived by themselves for many years, it’s not going too badly[gtin]

Except that he irons the wrong way round! And when he puts the board back in the cupboard that’s the wrong way round too and boy do I struggle to put it up.

Now, right handed people, without telling you what I do ( because maybe I have got it wrong all my life and it would be better his way) on which side do you rest the iron, on which side do you have the pointy bit of the ironing board?

When you put it away is it pointy bit down or pointy bit up?

I’m off to iron some tops now. Having had to do a three point turn in the kitchen to get the board the right way round!!!!

jusnoneed Tue 25-Sep-18 16:13:09

Pointy side to the left, iron on wide end at right. The point down when folded and away.

Glad all is going well apart from the ironing, mine wouldn't know how the iron works!

Ilovecheese Tue 25-Sep-18 16:24:42

Pointy side to the left, iron to the right.
But pointy side up when putting away.

mcem Tue 25-Sep-18 16:29:03

I'm with jusnoneed.
Sincerely hoping you're never faced with bigger problems. Be happy!

JudyJudy12 Tue 25-Sep-18 16:31:58

I am left handed so pointy to the right, stored pointy at the bottom. Not that I iron much now lots can be smoothed straight from the dryer.

grannyqueenie Tue 25-Sep-18 16:52:38

I too am with jusoneed! But let’s face it mcem sometimes these small things can feel just HUGE!!

sodapop Tue 25-Sep-18 16:59:10

Good luck with the new living arrangements Eglantine hope you will be very happy.
Pick your battles and be glad he actually does some ironing. We keep our ironing board on its side as it fits into the cupboard more easily.

BBbevan Tue 25-Sep-18 16:59:12

I am left handed. Therefore pointy side to the right, iron on the left. Since I taught my right handed DD and DS to iron, they do it left handed and so does DH. So easy really

BBbevan Tue 25-Sep-18 17:00:04

Forgot to say have fun ?

Luckygirl Tue 25-Sep-18 17:04:07

Sounds like a deal breaker to me!! In the words of Mumsnet, I should LTB!! grin

Eglantine21 Tue 25-Sep-18 17:04:33

Oh I’m not cross, just interested really.

He has taken over the washing up because I do it wrong ?

And we have four kinds of clothes-washing liquids/powder and wash our clothes separately because neither of will give way on the best way to do it.

It gives you a whole new take on life!!!

Greyduster Tue 25-Sep-18 17:11:15

On the subject of the ironing board, pointy to the left and iron stand to the right. I leave mine up in a spare bedroom so can’t comment on the putting away bit. If I was in your position I wouldn’t sweat the domestics; I’d just revel in the romantics! Make hay and all that....!

Mamissimo Tue 25-Sep-18 17:12:06

Easy peasy solution to this.....stand on the opposite side of the board to normal and it will be the right way round ?

kittylester Tue 25-Sep-18 17:29:17

That would be even more discombobulating though. The chair I put the ironing basket on wouldn't be in the right place - nor would the kitchen table for putting the ironed clothes onto in nice piles. shock

I'm left handed so pointy bit to the right, iron on the left and pointed bit down. I quite enjoy ironing now I don't have reams of school uniform and white coats to do.

NanTheWiser Tue 25-Sep-18 17:54:47

He does... IRONING??? <faints clean away...>

Eglantine21 Tue 25-Sep-18 18:12:19

grin

Kittye Tue 25-Sep-18 18:13:49

Pointy bit to left. When put away pointy bit down. My sister is right handed too but has pointy bit on the right.

oldbatty Tue 25-Sep-18 18:27:59

the lover

its not Martin from the Bridge is it?

Eglantine21 Tue 25-Sep-18 19:16:28

I’ve never seen that so can’t judge! I will have to find a new title for him now........

He’s a bit more than just the weekend jolly isn’t he?

???

Izabella Tue 25-Sep-18 19:23:26

Congratulations on your new journey and i trust you will have absolutely no time whatsoever for ironing wink

Mapleleaf Tue 25-Sep-18 19:38:16

I'm the same as justnoneed.
You're lucky to have a partner who knows what an iron and ironing board are for!! ??

Willow500 Tue 25-Sep-18 19:39:52

Have fun finding each out each other's foibles grin Iron to the right for me and pointy end to the left then down in the cupboard. Don't think Mr W has ever had to do any ironing but he's left handed and does everything the wrong way round!

Situpstraight1 Tue 25-Sep-18 19:44:40

There is no wrong way to do the ironing!

let he who has the iron in his hand do it anyway he likes........

this should be a proverb which can be used for all housekeeping occasions.

Doodle Tue 25-Sep-18 20:09:01

A man who does the ironing! Who cares which way round he does it. ?

MissAdventure Tue 25-Sep-18 21:28:54

I change the iron from hand to hand when I'm ironing.
I start off with pointy bit towards the right, and I store my iron upright.
I'm a lefty.