Gransnet forums

Chat

Graduating to Gransnet

(42 Posts)
Rufussmum Sun 30-Sep-18 07:31:44

I wonder if others on here were, or still are, users of Mumsnet? I recently joined GN after mooching about on MN for a few years. I wonder if there is a 'graduation day' or age when people feel more at home on here.
Dare I say it, but there is a calmer, more rational tone to most of the Forum posts (even AIBU). And all that hard-won wisdom on tap grin.

Flossieturner Sun 30-Sep-18 08:21:08

I agree with you and I also wish Mumsnet had been around when I was younger. I had no-one to ask for advice, share stories with or just vent. There is huge part of MNet which is supportive and helpful.

I think I graduated when I realised that I would not really be able to offer any useful advice to the MN generation. Most of my life experiences are not that relevant . I Am now a ‘look only’. I Learn a lot about practical things, gardening, tv, pets but stay away from anything else. I found that a lot of posts made me very sad. People in really terrible situations .There is nothing I can do but just want to give them a hug and make it better.

Fennel Sun 30-Sep-18 09:26:37

I still read Mumsnet often, and sometimes post. There are many interesting topics, and usually people are polite.
The only thing I find difficult is that there are so many members on there you don't often get a give and take discussion - people just give their opinion and that's it.
I suppose if you were on it a lot you might get to know some of the regulars, as we do on here.

Rufussmum Sun 30-Sep-18 09:47:28

You do need a hard hat if you post something even mildly contentious on MN's AIBU. Someone on there said an OP should take down their post 'before the AIBU vipers wake up.' Stimulating reading but from a view-only position from me.

Pittcity Sun 30-Sep-18 12:28:22

I am another "view only" on MN. I can't keep up with the pace.

lemongrove Sun 30-Sep-18 12:31:30

I don’t even bother to view it now tbh.

DanniRae Sun 30-Sep-18 13:40:00

I just have an occasional peep at MN but have never posted. It has a totally different feel to my beloved GN...........not nearly so friendly!!

Grammaretto Sun 30-Sep-18 13:57:16

I missed out on mumsnet, it began too late, but found GN this year by chance as I had googled a question and some sensible, wise person answered it from GN.
I am now a regular responder and have been to 2 local meetups.
I don't know if I would share a really serious problem.
Welcome to GN! Are you a gran?

Luckygirl Sun 30-Sep-18 14:01:22

I pop in and out of Mumsnet. Occasionally post. There are some very interesting mums on there; but also many sorry tales of domestic abuse and marriage break-up.

Maggiemaybe Sun 30-Sep-18 14:38:47

I get the MN newsletter, so wander over there every day. I used to find it a bit overwhelming, but do join in occasionally. To be honest, it moves so fast and there are so many active members that you’re a lot less likely to be jumped on as you are here if you disagree with certain people. GN is like a small village, which can be a good or a bad thing, though you soon learn who to trust and who to avoid.

Rufussmum Sun 30-Sep-18 15:23:47

Grammaretto... Gran to one, step-gran to another. I think that's all!

kittylester Sun 30-Sep-18 15:59:40

Do you mind if I ask how old you are, only Rufus is in his 90s. grin

Nanny23 Sun 30-Sep-18 17:05:02

May only be my own impression, but mumsnetters are far more quickly to pounce on family issues and advise totally OTT drastic action, rather than reflection, consideration and building bridges. There are definitely posters on there that go all out to split families apart and positively encourage posters to leave the family home, when there may still be hope for reconciliation and understanding. I think there is a definite cult online to divide and break up families, not just on MN.

Fennel Sun 30-Sep-18 18:00:43

"May only be my own impression, but mumsnetters are far more quickly to pounce on family issues and advise totally OTT drastic action, rather than reflection, consideration and building bridges"
You're right, Nanny23. But it's probably because they're a lot younger and living in different times with different pressures from us.
There are usually a few with 'an old head on young shoulders.'

Nanny23 Sun 30-Sep-18 18:59:47

Yes agree with you there Fennel, you can often tell that they simply do not have the life experience of most gransnetters, Their generation is often all about the instant solution rather than trying to see a way to improve things slowly over time, and thus keeping families together rather than alienate. I understand as I've done it myself a number of times when I was younger, but social media now makes it more immediate, less considered before actions are taking, and with a high likelihood of others sticking their noses in who know nothing of the family concerned and their own dynamics. Whilst social media has it's uses, it can also be used for evil purposes and with evil intent.

Witzend Mon 01-Oct-18 09:15:47

I visit both. Started looking at MN only after dd realised she was expecting no. 2 with barely a 15 month gap. Found the 'small age gap' threads helpful and reassuring.
I actually found GN only after first visiting MN.

varian Mon 01-Oct-18 20:10:21

Grans are also Mums. These days I feel I am more of a gran than a mum because my little ones have long since flown the nest.

When I visit Mumsnet, there are things that I don't like - like swearing, but also things that I do like - like a much more enlightened and informed view of politics, especially an acute awareness of the potentially disastrous consequences of brexit, which many Gransnetters do not seem to understand.

Willow500 Mon 01-Oct-18 22:08:06

I've never been on MN - I didn't have young children in my life so didn't know about it.

MawBroon Mon 01-Oct-18 22:14:20

There was no MN when mine were tinies.
There was no internet!

minesaprosecco Mon 01-Oct-18 22:23:19

MN has educated me completely to the threats to woman's rights from the transgender movement. For that alone, I am truly grateful that it exists. Not sure whether I graduated from GN to MN or vice versa!

Rufus2 Tue 02-Oct-18 10:24:03

Do you mind if I ask how old you are, only Rufus is in his 90s
Rufussmum: Hi Mam! Long time no see, since we left for OZ 47 years ago, in fact.!
Only 91, thanks to our good family genes, but unfortunately you missed my virtual birthday party. Anyway, you'll still be on the right side of 120, so it's good to catch up. We must keep in touch; Good Health, Mam smile

Rufussmum Tue 02-Oct-18 17:00:32

I wondered where you'd got to, you naughty boy! I thought you'd be banged up in jail by now based on your past form but I guess 47 years in Oz is punishment enough.
I shall expect a card and present for my 119th, and don't skimp on the expense.
And don't call me Mam!

Rufus2 Thu 04-Oct-18 12:01:01

Gran to one, step-gran to another. I think that's all.
G'Day Mater; is that OK? wink "Mummy" has been appropriated by Charles and I know you wouldn't like "Mummsy".
Now you'll have to think again! You've got 5 Aussie GCs "down under", so you're now a Great-Gran; isn't that marvellous?
David 30, is recently married so you can expect to be a Great Great Gran any time soon! You must be ecstatic! I can hear your knitting needles clicking away already. grin
Don't worry about you birthday present. We're getting you a no-expense-spared, state-of- the- art, electric mobility scooter, equipped with front bumper bar, air-bag, GPS (to avoid getting lost in those narrow country lanes) and a heavy-duty storm-proof canopy so you can take it with you on your English summer holidays. Depending on your political persuasions, all we need to know your choice of colour; Tory Royal Blue or Labour Fiery Red. As with cars, they do say red goes faster.! Don't delay; the waiting list is already long. grin
Bye for now, Your Loving Son Rufus.

Rufussmum Thu 04-Oct-18 14:51:03

Rufus... We're getting you a no-expense-spared, state-of- the- art, electric mobility scooter, equipped with front bumper bar, air-bag, GPS (to avoid getting lost in those narrow country lanes) and a heavy-duty storm-proof canopy
I've already got one. Think again.

Day6 Thu 04-Oct-18 15:34:27

I agree that MN is very hot in terms of feminism and political issues. There is a huge battle raging regarding gender which threatens women and their rights and I applaud those who post about those issues and keep abreast of news items which should concern us all.

I didn't know much about Posie Parker until I read threads there.

My main objection, regarding other topics is that some posters resort to really crass, foul language. I can swear with the best of them and am not in the least prim and proper but one wonders if the language they use online is used at home. The majority are civil. Some are blunt and seem to have little time for anyone.

GN is miles better in terms of 'community' I think.

I like so many GN posters (haven't met any) and find so many very wise, considerate and learned. It's a treat (and an education) to read many posts.