Gransnet forums

Chat

Fitted bed sheets

(79 Posts)
Maybelle Sun 30-Sep-18 11:12:02

I am finding it increasingly difficult to make our bed. 5' wide deep heavy mattress making it hard to tuck the bottom sheet in well enough for it to stay in place.
I am wondering about buying some fitted sheets, easier to put on. But am not sure if they will stay in place.
Does anyone have any suggestions ?

TenGran Sun 30-Sep-18 11:14:38

Fitted sheet are really helpful, but if you have a deep mattress make sure you get ones that are labelled "deep"!! I get mine from NEXT.

Eilyann70 Sun 30-Sep-18 11:16:46

As long as you buy some deep fitting ones you should be fine.

shysal Sun 30-Sep-18 11:33:46

Fitted sheets stay put well as long as they are deep enough. Make sure you buy the correct depth as they vary. There is a knack to folding them - see video.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=15PWtE2Yrqs

annodomini Sun 30-Sep-18 11:40:54

I've had deep fitting sheets from Amazon - the correct width too.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 30-Sep-18 12:24:08

Find it harder to use fitted sheets on heavy mattress, as I have to lift it higher to fit it on, flat sheets I find easier just to push in if you see what I mean, sorry Maybelle not much help to you.

glammanana Sun 30-Sep-18 12:48:22

I use fitted sheets on our 5ft deepbased mattress and buy the sheets from Dunelm in the deeper depth and have never had any problems they stay nice and neat,and come in a range of many colours all good cotton.

ninathenana Sun 30-Sep-18 12:51:56

NLS I have a sleigh bed which means the heavy mattress has to be lifted out of the frame to use a fitted sheet. DH has to do ours, if he wasnt around I might have to swap to a divan base and flat sheets.
Maybelle I've used fitted sheets on all our beds for years, and have had no problems with slipping.

Maybelle Sun 30-Sep-18 14:28:38

Thanks to all for the replies, looks like I might give fitted sheets a try. Just get one to start with and see how we like it.
Off to measure the depth of the mattress and will see about ordering one.

BlueBelle Sun 30-Sep-18 14:57:12

I can’t remember the last time I used ordinary sheets have all fitted on all my beds saves all the fiddling and tucking and coming out from underneath the mattress

tanith Sun 30-Sep-18 15:34:06

I use both but I do find it hard to lift the heavy matress enough to get the fitted ones in place it’s easier to tuck the flat sheets under but I like the fitted ones. Bit of a dilemma ?

lemongrove Sun 30-Sep-18 16:23:22

Since buying a very good but very heavy mattress last year, as others have mentioned I find it easier to push in a flat sheet.Sometimes I have to get DH to do it even with a flat sheet!

1974cookie Sun 30-Sep-18 18:22:12

Fitted sheets have never worked for me. I am such a fidget in bed that when I did try them years ago, I ended up wrapped up in them like a cocoon.
Flat sheets every time for me as long as you make the bed using 'hospital corners'. Works every time for me ?.

midgey Sun 30-Sep-18 18:31:08

My hands occasionally stop working properly, especially in the colder weather. I find fitted sheets increasingly awkward and am thinking of going back to flat sheets. Not sure that’s very helpful to you thoughconfused

Juggernaut Sun 30-Sep-18 18:41:19

We have a 6ft wide superking bed, with a 16” deep mattress, so we buy 18” deep fitted sheets.
I can change the fitted sheets without help, always putting the top corners on first, but we have an 'Emperor' sized duvet which measures 7'8” by 9’6”, and I don't have a chance of getting that in the cover without help grin

Blondiescot Sun 30-Sep-18 18:45:45

Get yourself some "sheet suspenders" - also known as bed sheet clips (or similar). They're little elasticated strips with clips on the end (similar to those on men's braces) - solves the problem in an instant! I love them...you can get them online from Amazon, eBay and so on.

Hampshirehog Mon 01-Oct-18 09:41:20

I've bought 'deep' fitted sheets for our 5' bed from M&S and John Lewis and both stay in place fine. So much easier than messing about with our previous flat sheets.

GrammaH Mon 01-Oct-18 09:45:08

In my ignorance, I didn't realise anyone used flat sheets any more. Our 6' mattress is very deep & I buy my fitted sheets from Amazon. What's this about a knack to folding them? I'm afraid mine just get very roughly put together for storage, I'm not too keen on precision work with the laundry!

HootyMcOwlface Mon 01-Oct-18 09:46:06

Fitting the last corner I sometimes struggle with, I have to lift mattress and pull really hard to get it over the last corner. I have to be careful to make sure I pick the 'right' corner to end up at (if you see what I mean ). (Bad back & dodgy wrist).

TillyWhiz Mon 01-Oct-18 09:48:09

Thank you GrammaH, I thought it was just me re the folding!

HootyMcOwlface Mon 01-Oct-18 09:48:31

I find it hard to buy flat sheets now anyway! I like one on top, under my duvet as it stops it falling off. I had to get one off Amazon in the end, I couldn't find a flat one anywhere else!

David1968 Mon 01-Oct-18 09:54:36

We have 5' beds and we use both the "valanced" style fitted sheets and the "ordinary" fitted sheets. Both types are much easier to put on than flat sheets. (The "valanced" style sheets are probably the easiest, though finding this style is getting harder and harder.)

petalmoore Mon 01-Oct-18 10:20:53

In my experience, changing the sheets on a 5’ bed is easier when the occupants do it together. I take it this isn’t a possibility in your case? But fitted sheets are fine, with the provisos that others have mentioned.

TheOldDear Mon 01-Oct-18 10:44:13

Like GrammaH, I’m amazed that anyone still uses flat sheets. Fitted sheets are so much easier, but they do vary. I only have one that I absolutely love because it’s wonderfully stretchy and a doddle to put on the bed. It came from Ikea years ago, but I’ve no idea if they still make them, or if anyone else does. I keep meaning to find out…

Scribbles Mon 01-Oct-18 10:47:18

Hooty, I use a top sheet under my duvet, also and you can buy decent quality ones from M&S, John Lewis, Sainsburys, Dunelm and, if you're in the London or Birmingham areas, Hema, to name but a few. (I love bedding and buy far too much of it! grin)