Gransnet forums

Chat

In the interest of market research.....

(107 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 15:18:29

I have been to Aldi today and they've just started to get some of their Christmas foods in stock. Obviously, I wasn't going to even look at them but wait..... they had boxes of Violet Creams in Dark Chocolate. Purely in the interest of market research, and with your best interest at heart, I bought a box and scoffed them the minute I'd unpacked my shopping. They were gorgeous! I did this as an act of altruism because I'd never have forgiven myself if any of you had considered buying some and they hadn't been divine. Just £1.49 a box. They had Rose Creams too which might also need to be investigated on your behalf. See how good to you I am? grin

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 14:28:43

Can you replace it with some West Country apple cider? That would bring back memories.
Ooh aarrr!
Although my preference is for Herefordshire cider.

our Spring has finally sprung

The spring is sprung, the grass is riz.
I wonder where the boidie is.
They say the boidie’s on the wing.
But that’s absoid. The wing is on the bird.

Attributed to Ogden Nash when I was at school, but that is a moot point now, apparently.

Jalima1108 Sat 06-Oct-18 14:23:44

Am I allowed to advertise?
I mean Bombay Sapphire.
Other gins are available - in fact, more and more gins seem to be available!

Rufus2 Sat 06-Oct-18 12:45:21

bottle of good botanical gin in a blue bottle
Jalima; My word, you've been brought up proper, like! I've been rushing back and forth to Dr.Google checking out all those new (to me ,anyway). thirst-quenchers.
Hope you're not around when it's my shout. grin. I'm suspicious of the "blue" bottle though. All the ones I've met usually have the letters "P.O.I.S.O.N" embossed down the outside; I caught up with a jolly swagman camped by a billabong under the shade of a coolibah tree and he vaguely remembers blue bottles containing stuff that was used to prevent foot-rot in sheep, but that was made illegal by Worksafe. shock
Can you replace it with some West Country apple cider? That would bring back memories. brew

Rufus2 Sat 06-Oct-18 11:44:12

Howzat?! Cheers
Lemongrove; Not Out! Your batting list contains only 8; you need another 3 plus a 12th. man to satisfy the umpires. Jalima +?
Now take notice everyone; our Spring has finally sprung; a string of lovely warm 24C days, no rain (pity really) and as if on cue our clocks go forward 1hr. tonight; that's right, we will be 10hrs. ahead until the end of Oct. when you go backwards to 11 in arrears.
Anyway back to business! I've started my own market research using your cheat sheet, Lemongrove, although whilst studying it doing my navel-gazing exercises yesterday in the garden in full sun (but not in the nuddy; no way!) I fell asleep and woke up in time to go to bed; slept like a log. grin
Had some cheese and pickled onions to kick-start my taste buds this morning and now back to my survey. wink
Sláinte is táinte

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Oct-18 15:32:02

I am off to Aldi tomorrow morning, I will se what goodies they have to offer!!

I booked my Waitrose Christmas delivery slot last night, had to order over £60 to secure it, I have no idea what I ordered but will return to it nearer the time.

We shop daily throughout the year and use Aldi a lot.

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Oct-18 14:31:32

Ooh, I could order those for Christmas presents

um,
bottle of good botanical gin in a blue bottle
bottle of good single malt
bottle of very dry sherry
bottle of Greek brandy 5*
bottle of cassis to be diluted with good champagne

ps I rarely drink spirits, so plenty for everyone else there too.

lemongrove Fri 05-Oct-18 14:21:50

Right, on the booze front for the hamper, how about:
Bottle of rhubarb gin
Bottle of raspberry gin
Bottle of good scotch
Bottle of Baileys
Bottle of good port
Bottle of good sherry ( preferably dry)
Bottle of advocaat
Bottle of very, very, good brandy.
Howzat?! Cheers.

Rufus2 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:27:18

factor in the cost of postage to Rufus in the Antipodes too!!
Wrong! It's a "Luxury Overseas Scottish Hamper" for Australia/New Zealand.
Now, "what can be fairer than that?", as DelBoy would say! And what's the "X" supposed to mean? confused "XXXX" yes! wine wine wine

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:08:37

X post Rufus grin

Jalima1108 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:07:51

Marydoll you have to factor in the cost of postage to Rufus in the Antipodes too!!
Probably three times the cost of the contents of the hamper sad

Rufus2 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:07:08

Oh Rufus you have been "done". I could make up the hamper for half the cost.
Marydoll; Thank you for your seasonal offer, although you may have missed the point. I'm a helpless OAP, OBE who's now afraid to go into supermarkets since being called "Grandad" when being helped by a kindly customer, and I thought the hamper would be a very nice C-gift on behalf of all GNetters! Like meals on wheels to the Commonwealth.It would only be £1 a head if 63 got together; just a cup of coffee! grin Remember, it's postage free and I will readily give you my street address. wink
Btw; I notice nobody's doing market research in the liquor sections. Are you all members of the Temperance movement? shock

Larissa67 Fri 05-Oct-18 11:04:07

Oh Beau what have you started? Charbonnel &Walker Maple covered brazils!!! they sublime, I'm off to stock up now.
Speaking of crisps, as a special treat, anyone else try truffle flavour crisps? You can get them at Hema. Perfect with a glass of champagne!

gmelon Fri 05-Oct-18 06:40:51

Could I volunteer to sample the crisps?
I know that strictly speaking there is no such thing as Christmas crisps........but even so.
If not allowed then I'll have a go at Christmas cakes.
If you make your own then I'll happily give you my address so you may send me a slice. Royal icing only please , no fondant. grin

Marydoll Thu 04-Oct-18 23:37:13

Oh Rufus you have been "done". I could make up the hamper for half the cost.
"McKay's jams sell for just over £1 when they are on "Special" here and I can get Tunnock's caramel wafers for £1 in Poundland. grin Also, I have a jar of Arran red onion chutney in the fridge and some Carr's water biscuits in the cupboard. I'll even throw in a haggis free of charge, they run wild here and are easy to catch! Sláinte!?

lemongrove Thu 04-Oct-18 22:46:33

Rufus wow that sounds like my kind of hamper!
tchgrin I thought it was me that said it was a bit early for Christmas hamper wishes......but maybe not.Carry on regardless, haha.

watermeadow Thu 04-Oct-18 19:09:19

Please go back to Aldi for Part 2 of your research. Buy an assortment of milk chocolates and pop them round to me. I will undertake to test them all, very fast, because if you like dark chocolate creams (yuk yuk yuk) you won’t want to do it yourself.

annsixty Thu 04-Oct-18 18:27:45

Bought the cherry liqueurs and salted caramel truffles dusted in cocoa.
I have tested those in the interest of you all.
They are "ok" nothing more.

Chewbacca Thu 04-Oct-18 17:36:50

Black Magic chocolates aren't very nice anymore are they hereshopping? Does anybody remember Terry,s Spartan chocolates? They were all hard centres. Mmmmm

hereshoping Thu 04-Oct-18 15:05:43

Oh Chewbacca, dark chocolate marzipan chocolates, yes please.
Why did they stop doing them in the Black Magic boxes, there was no point in buying them after that.

Rufus2 Thu 04-Oct-18 14:15:33

I am relenting, it’s now October, so, this hamper, tell us all about it
Lemongrove; As promised! Get ready to drool! wink
Luxury Overseas Scottish Hamper.
Hardy's Brut Reserve Sparkling Wine 750ml.
Mackay's Cranberry Sauce 235g
Walkers Belgian Choc.Chunk Biscuits 150g
Arran Caramelised Red Onion Chutney 195g
Campbells Petticoat Tails 125g
Tunnock's Caramel Wafers 120g
Mackays Vintage Dundee Orange Marmalade 340g
Gardiners Vanilla Fudge 150g
Carr's Water Crackers 125g
Whittings Christmas Fruit Cake 500g
Twinings English Breakfast Tea Bagsx10
Vittoria Espresso Coffee 50g
All for £62.50.
No sign of any Honey, Paté or Haggis.!
Is that a bargain, or what? grin

Witzend Thu 04-Oct-18 11:50:01

I have already bought two of those multi-packs of mini Smarties, in readiness for the hordes of children who usually arrive at Halloween. I'm so far resisting the temptation to try just one, to make sure they're all right, since for some reason, when I've done this in the past, most of the multi pack has disappeared. Very odd!

Of course it's not the case that I've bought a lot of Smarties in the hope that some will be left over - perish the thought!

Rufus2 Thu 04-Oct-18 11:25:59

Rufus I am relenting, it’s now October, so, this hamper, tell us about it
Lemongrove; Now I'm really confused! confused One minute a restraining order is placed on me, by Elegran, not to mention the C-word before November, now you're "relenting". Who's the boss around here? grin
So; you're getting sick with all this spicy, sugary, market research and now want to know what this sensible Scottish hamper contains. Can't lay my hands on the contents right now, but will forward shortly. As I've said previously, the hamper Co. dudded me over some DVDs I purchased; still negotiating.
I don't want to be a party-pooper, but remember the long-term pain next Jan. to eliminate the short-term gain. I'm sure you don't wish to lose your svelte figures before the big C, but there are still 81 shopping days to get through! sad

silverlining48 Thu 04-Oct-18 09:30:37

Miepl i spotted speccula (sp?) biscuits in our local poundland last week.

DanniRae Thu 04-Oct-18 08:34:19

Now if we are talking mince pies the only ones for my husband and I are M&S puff pastry ones. I so hope they are making them this year and if so I will hold off from buying them till, maybe, November. Or maybe October..........Oh! it's October now..............M&S here I come!!!! wink

PECS Wed 03-Oct-18 22:11:30

Hmm..I do think market research should be based on a wider data base so maybe I too will buy the chocolates and let you all know my opinion!