Gransnet forums

Chat

In the interest of market research.....

(106 Posts)
Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 15:18:29

I have been to Aldi today and they've just started to get some of their Christmas foods in stock. Obviously, I wasn't going to even look at them but wait..... they had boxes of Violet Creams in Dark Chocolate. Purely in the interest of market research, and with your best interest at heart, I bought a box and scoffed them the minute I'd unpacked my shopping. They were gorgeous! I did this as an act of altruism because I'd never have forgiven myself if any of you had considered buying some and they hadn't been divine. Just £1.49 a box. They had Rose Creams too which might also need to be investigated on your behalf. See how good to you I am? grin

lemongrove Tue 02-Oct-18 15:23:28

You certainly are Chewy and in fact perhaps you could also investigate other supermarkets and their Christmas goods on our behalf? It may save us making expensive mistakes on the food front. tchsmile
Of course, you may put on a few stone in weight as a result, but it will be so worth it! tchgrin

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Oct-18 15:23:57

Thank you for your dedication to gransnetters waistlines Chewbacca ?????

Nonnie Tue 02-Oct-18 15:53:47

Thanks for that Chewy but I'm not a soft centre person so, in fairness to those like me, please go back and find some nice nutty and praline ones and give them a testing. Thanks for doing this on behalf of the rest of us.

Luckygirl Tue 02-Oct-18 15:55:28

I feel eternally grateful to you for that act of true selflessness.

annsixty Tue 02-Oct-18 16:00:58

Please check if they have the cherries in liqueur again this year and road test those for me.
I would hate to be disappointed.
Also the chocolate covered stollen bites.
And the Sloe gin and the.....
Oh I might as well send you a list?

DanniRae Tue 02-Oct-18 16:02:21

I feel it is unfair for you to be doing this on your own - I am putting myself forward as an assistant. Just give me a list and I will try everything and report back to you - I am happy for you to be in charge!! grin

Marydoll Tue 02-Oct-18 16:05:42

Oh I loves roses Chewy, roses the flowers, Joe Malone RedRoses , Roses chocolates, but I've never tried rose creams. If you could just find time in your busy schedule to go back and purchase some for me, I would be eternally grateful. grin

BBbevan Tue 02-Oct-18 16:19:26

Marydoll rose creams are absolutely lovely. Sadly , as I was diabetic I can't have them. But I give my box to you. Enjoy them ???

Marydoll Tue 02-Oct-18 16:22:18

Thank you! grin. I'm off to Aldi! I too will be looking for cherry liqueurs, DH's favourite.

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 16:42:31

So kind of you to volunteer DanniRae, I'm definitely going to need an assistant if I'm to avoid hyperglycemic shock. And yes, annsixty they did indeed have cherries in liqueur. And those lovely mixed nut Florentines. I'm dreading the dark chocolate marzipan coming in because that will be my undoing.....

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Oct-18 16:48:57

I am like Nonnie I do not like soft centres but you are doing a sterling job on our behalf.

annodomini Tue 02-Oct-18 16:51:48

See you there tomorrow. This research is obviously an onerous task on which I am only too willing to sacrifice my waistline...what waistline?

Toddleo Tue 02-Oct-18 16:56:02

Violet creams - my favourite! Love them. My Christmas treat (along with After eights, Paynes chocolate brazils, strawberry and orange creams from the Roses/Quality street tins, and The Purple one) Yum

Pittcity Tue 02-Oct-18 19:50:27

A new Lidl opened locally recently and they've been giving welcome gifts which included the praline chocolate seashells.....we somehow managed to spend enough to get 3 boxes which have managed to disappear before being put into the Christmas cupboard!!
Our next consumer test will be on the Baileys-a-likes!!

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:23:44

Thanks Chewbacca, very altruistic of you!

Please could you buy a couple of boxes for me and hide them until Christmas? I must lose some weight …..
and chocolate brazils if you see any ...

Nana3 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:29:52

I feel a meet up in Aldi coming on , tomorrow is good for me smilesmilesmile

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:38:20

what's in the middle aisles Nana3?

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:38:58

that's because I can't be seen buying chocolate grin

etheltbags1 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:46:08

I havent been to aldi for a while so i will have to go soon. I adore soft centres

Thebeeb Tue 02-Oct-18 21:20:25

Please dan I apply to join the market reasearch team. My speciality is any kind of chocolate in any form.

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Oct-18 21:28:49

Your teeth are going to rot!

Chewbacca Tue 02-Oct-18 22:20:26

Jalima The middle aisle this week was bedding, charcoal toothpaste confused and decorating equipment. And the freezers were being filled with "festive party foods" and 3 Bird Roasts!

phoenix Tue 02-Oct-18 22:27:42

I prefer Lidl, their Cava at under £5 a bottle is much better than Aldi.

PS Good to see you back, Charleygirl! smile

annodomini Tue 02-Oct-18 22:29:21

I've got about five bags in the boot ready for the research expedition!