Gransnet forums

Chat

Was Piers Morgan right?

(86 Posts)
oldbatty Tue 09-Oct-18 15:41:35

A professor has claimed that Sir Winston Churchill was a 'clear racist' in a heated debate in which Piers Morgan asked him: 'Why do you live in a country that you loathe?'

Kahinde Andrews made some interesting points on This Morning.

Blinko Thu 11-Oct-18 10:57:14

Jalima grin

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 11:15:49

luluaugust it sounds as if you do not want anyone who is resident in the country to be critical of the UK or its historical figures. That sounds rather dictatorial a bit like unquestioning praise for the leader in Nth Korea!

Many people on this thread, me included, have acknowledged the important role WC s leadership played in WW2. We fought that war to get rid of dictatorial regimes!
I have not heard what this professor said or the context so no idea if I support his perspective. I do support his right to express his opinions as long as they are not inciting racial or religious hatred.

trisher Thu 11-Oct-18 11:49:15

I wonder how many posters on this thread are, like Piers Morgan ethnically white? If you are I fail to see how you can justify complaining, or saying this man has no right to say this country is racist. You are unlikely to have suffered any racial slurs as he probably has. Much has been written on many threads about how Jews know about anti-semitism and where it exists. The same can be said for any black person and racism.
As for the comments about the war, they are completely uncalled for and absolutely nothing to do with racism today.

Jalima1108 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:52:11

^ or saying this man has no right to say this country is racist.^
is - he word that jumps out at me here.

Churchill died in 1965.

Jalima1108 Thu 11-Oct-18 11:52:21

the word

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 12:03:18

Jalima I don't want to misinterstand your post..please can you clarify if you are saying that the country is racist or it isn't?

Jalima1108 Thu 11-Oct-18 14:30:59

I wasn't saying either
I was referring to the fact that Churchill died in 1965 and I thought we were discussing any racism that existed when he was alive.

luluaugust Thu 11-Oct-18 15:33:02

Its silly really trying to get into the heads of historical figures, their time is passed and gone, their country and life no longer exist. I am probably just a bit fed up that people who live in one of the saner countries of the world feel they loathe it so much but don't have the courage of their convictions to go somewhere they don't loathe, wherever that may be. Why be miserable.

PECS Thu 11-Oct-18 15:59:52

We might have nobody left after Brexit..The remainers will have to go along with all the Brexiters that do not like the deal! ???

luluaugust Thu 11-Oct-18 16:10:44

No, no good old British compromise will then come into play while we all find jolly good reasons to stay whilst having a good moan, erm yes maybe this chap is just very very British.