Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling older than I did

(47 Posts)
nanasam Thu 11-Oct-18 11:03:49

I had my NHS health check yesterday. I count myself fortunate that I don't take much medication and feel very fit and healthy with no major aches and pains.

I was chatting and laughing with the nurse, saying 'no' to all the usual 'have you had...' questions, whereupon she said "well, you ARE sprightly".

Excuse me - sprightly SPRIGHTLY ???? I always thought that was said to old people. My DM, at 96 had it said to her on many occasions. I felt older when I came out of the surgery!

Anyone had a 'compliment' that didn't quite hit the mark, or am I being a bit sensitive? I am 70 so I suppose I must seem old to the 45ish nurse!

luluaugust Fri 10-Dec-21 16:10:03

Having sat in A&E for about 10 hours waiting for somebody from the orthopaedic department to see me, I was much cheered when a young gent arrived who said oh I was told you were an old lady, I was about 68 at the time.

Teacheranne Thu 09-Dec-21 23:55:26

I had a TIA recently and went to the local hospital to see a consultant. The department I was sent to was the elderly care unit, what a cheek I thought seeing as I am only 65! The nurse who took my blood pressure said it was a treat to see someone so young! A real compliment which cheered me up as I felt so anxious, but then the other nurse said that she says that to all her patients!

Bonneygran Thu 09-Dec-21 21:50:26

A few years ago when I was 68 and cleaning on the Church rota a fellow cleaner, aged 83 commented that the exercise was good for “ women of our age! “ I was pleased that I didn’t mind at all and that I felt warmed by the inclusivity and that I love her like a sister.

Grayling Thu 25-Nov-21 22:37:34

In a letter to my GP the orthopaedic surgeon wrote that I was a very fit and active 75yr old and when completing a 4 page questionnaire with a nurse before admission to hospital she commented "Wow - you've done pretty well"! Glad to bring this to mind tonight as feeling pretty ancient at the moment as have a plaster cast on my leg and have a zimmer, perching stool and raised toilet seat - have to be non-weight bearing on my right leg for six weeks!! The only medication I take is Lansoprazole for reflux.

hollysteers Thu 25-Nov-21 22:07:14

Whatever age you are, you don’t look it…

M0nica Thu 25-Nov-21 21:44:05

DD once asked me: 'Mummy, were you born in the first world war or the second world war?'

When my DMiL went into hospital to have her tonsils out, she read her notes, they said ' despite her great age whe think she should have this operation'!! She was 55 at the time!

What they actually meant is that, because the older you have your tonsils out the greater the chance of you having a serious haemorrhage, they didn't (then) like operating on people over 40 and prefer them to be younger still, so 55 was old to have this operation and it could be dangerous.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 25-Nov-21 19:55:49

Saw on some notes “this 80 year old lady”. Well even though I had a great birthday I still can’t believe it. “What a cheek” I thought.

Ali08 Thu 25-Nov-21 18:42:07

Not myself but when I was younger and went off to boarding school, age 10, my (still very good) friend said to me, "Don't you have a dad? Because I saw your mum and grandparents but not your dad!" My older sister was most put out!! Lmao
But people often thought I was out with my grandad, or living with grandparents.
Nope, they were my mum & dad!!
(They were in WWII).
Most people tell me I have lovely skin, there's usually not a blemish on my face, but my sons gf keeps buying me eye wrinkle creams.
My daughter creased up when I showed her the collagen antiwrinkle face packs I've ordered for the gf!!
I'm only 56. I just don't do facial creams, make-up etc.

Forsythia Thu 25-Nov-21 16:19:45

I’m mid sixties and I’ve recently noticed people in shops, etc saying ‘bless you’ and smiling sweetly at me in a way they didn’t do before. Could it be that now I’m totally grey I look like a sweet old lady but feel like a spring chicken ☺️

Asaded Thu 25-Nov-21 16:11:23

Perhaps it doesn't sound so offensive if you hear this from children. Neighborhood children once asked how old I am. I told them that I'm 67. You should have seen their faces. The guys are only 5 years old, and it seems that my age made them think hard about something. Their father later confessed to me that they consider him old, although Ben is only 29. In their opinion, I am generally a prehistoric creature. By the way, there in the comments someone mentioned a good phlebotomist. Thank you, I did not know the name of this profession and read about it phlebotomynearyou.com/phlebotomy-job-outlook/.

BlueSky Wed 24-Nov-21 18:34:29

Kircubbin grin. Elderly indeed! wink

Marydoll Wed 24-Nov-21 17:09:18

Kalu I can confirm that you do look younger than you actually are!!! wink

Kalu Wed 24-Nov-21 16:52:44

On a good day I can pass for someone in their late 60s - I am 71 but happy to look 69!
I’m sure plastic surgery could do wonders for my looks but going down that route isn’t something I would ever consider. I now have the ability to smile and frown at the same time and it has taken me years to perfect this look.

The slight stoop I have developed sitting around too much during lockdowns doesn’t particularly give me a younger image though, startles me when I catch my reflection in a shop window.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 16:27:36

Urmstongran

A thread dug up from 2018 - I thought I didn’t recognise the names of some of the posters!

I must be getting old because I do! ?

I'm not feeling very sprightly either at the moment, perhaps when I get this knee sorted I'll be like a spring chicken again instead of an old hen
??

M0nica Wed 24-Nov-21 16:10:27

Chatting to a passing neighbour, he referred to 'us baby boomers'. Without thinking I replied, 'I am a war baby' 'Goodness', he said, 'I thought you were my age.' It turned out he was 10 years younger than me. I have been smirking to myself ever since.

But 'sprightly'! No,no, no,no. That really is an aging word.

M0nica Wed 24-Nov-21 16:10:27

Chatting to a passing neighbour, he referred to 'us baby boomers'. Without thinking I replied, 'I am a war baby' 'Goodness', he said, 'I thought you were my age.' It turned out he was 10 years younger than me. I have been smirking to myself ever since.

But 'sprightly'! No,no, no,no. That really is an aging word.

Antonia Tue 23-Nov-21 16:15:12

One lovely lady I know regularly goes around her village 'visiting the old people.' She's 90. smile

Skydancer Tue 23-Nov-21 13:39:10

When I was at the bank chatting about something or other with a member of staff, I had to disclose my age. The young man looked at my leather jacket and said, "Well you've certainly managed to stay trendy." Bloody cheek!

Urmstongran Tue 23-Nov-21 13:36:21

A thread dug up from 2018 - I thought I didn’t recognise the names of some of the posters!

Jabberwok Tue 23-Nov-21 12:53:01

When I was well into my sixties, I was told at my annual checkup that I had the kidneys of a 20 year old!! 10 years later I'm not sure what the consensus is now as no one comments!

Witzend Tue 23-Nov-21 12:40:23

I used to work in a library where you could buy green bags for garden waste - 2 for £1.50, or 2 for £1 if you were 60+.

To avoid having to ask anyone’s age, or offend them by assuming they were 60+ when they weren’t, I’d start by charging everyone £1.50, so of course they’d soon tell me if they only needed to pay £1, and some were positively chuffed to be taken for a mere under-60. ?

Sadly the council stopped that scheme - you now have to pay £££ a year for a green bin.

lindiann Tue 23-Nov-21 12:34:27

A few years ago the road was icy a lovely young lady about 12 said be careful its icy let me help you across the road. I was in my 50's lol. Lovely thought though shows all the youngsters aren't the same smile

grannyactivist Tue 23-Nov-21 12:22:02

I’m 68 and when I had my flu jab (under unusual circumstances) the doctor asked me if I was over 65, with the rider that she could see I’m not, but the protocol was to ask everyone who looked 50+.

I’ve got no hang-ups about my age, but I’m mostly presumed to be younger than I am. I think this is more to do with the fact that I’m still working in a fast paced job than about how I look.

sodapop Tue 23-Nov-21 12:18:19

grin that made me laugh nanasam sprightly is for old people not those of us only in our seventies.

kircubbin2000 Tue 23-Nov-21 12:04:12

When I went to a and e last year the nice nurse found me a chair in an alcove. I like to keep all my elderly seated over here she said.