Gransnet forums

Chat

Face of £50 note

(71 Posts)
Anniebach Tue 16-Oct-18 16:23:28

A new £50 note will be rolled out in 2020.

Whose face should be on it ? There are suggestions it should be Margaret Thatcher

I think Aneurin Bevan

callgirl1 Tue 16-Oct-18 17:02:56

No offence meant Annie, but having never even set eyes on a £50 note, I don`t much care.

FlexibleFriend Tue 16-Oct-18 17:06:31

I never look at whose on my notes as I'm only interested in the value so it could be Kermit the frog for all I care.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Oct-18 17:21:49

I too don’t notice whose on the notes they don’t usually stay around me that long

harrigran Tue 16-Oct-18 17:23:10

They are phasing out £50 notes, shops won't accept them. The last few times I tried to spend one in a supermarket I was treated like a criminal, they sent for the manager.
Maybe Dick Turpin would be an alternative.

EllanVannin Tue 16-Oct-18 17:24:22

To keep in line with the 21st century and beyond, why not have Dr.James ( Miranda ) Barry the skilled British Army surgeon of the 16th century who in the pursuance of her career in the medical profession posed as a man to fulfil her career. It wasn't until her death that it was found that she was a woman but was then buried as a man whom she'd been recognised as having been during her lifetime. A pioneer.

BlueBelle Tue 16-Oct-18 17:40:51

Our first recorded trans maybe

EllanVannin Tue 16-Oct-18 17:57:12

It's that BlueBelle as well as the equality that we have now so that women don't have to go to such lengths as Dr.James/Miranda had to do all those centuries ago.

chocolatepudding Wed 17-Oct-18 09:23:00

Please sign this petition to have Noor Inayat Khan on the new note. Noor worked for SOE in Paris during WW2, was shot by the Nazis and was awarded the George Cross. Please read her full story

www.change.org/p/zehra-zaidi-put-noor-inayat-khan-on-the-new-50-note

thank you

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-18 09:26:23

Me neither callgirl . They were discussing this on local radio this morning and some of the suggestions were crazy.

I was thinking on the lines of Queen Mary of Berry or Prince Alan of Titchmarsh hmm

eilyann Wed 17-Oct-18 12:23:06

Definitely NOT Margaret Thatcher!

gillybob Wed 17-Oct-18 13:35:02

It makes no odds to me who’s on the £50 note , it’s not like I’ll ever see one close up grin

Ilovecheese Wed 17-Oct-18 14:43:02

I would suggest Mary Quant, to show that we appreciate our designers, and because she was one of the faces of the "swinging sixties" when England was seen as a young and progressive country.

JenniferEccles Wed 17-Oct-18 17:05:12

Whoever it is, you can bet your bottom dollar it will be someone who is perceived as ticking as many politically correct boxes as possible.

watermeadow Thu 18-Oct-18 09:09:26

Could be Micky Mouse (or Kermit), whoever notices or cares what picture is on notes or coins or stamps? What a waste of money.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a £50 note except in Monopoly.

mcem Thu 18-Oct-18 09:14:44

ilovecheese - just a reminder that those of us who live in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland also lived through the sixties!

Anniebach Thu 18-Oct-18 09:19:19

mcem, we were still in the mills and coal mines, ?

Nandalot Thu 18-Oct-18 09:54:25

Apparently it can’t be anyone still living or fictional.
What about Rosalind Franklin whose groundwork was the basis for all the discoveries of DNA. She died before all the Noble Prizes were handed out but probably wouldn’t have got one anyway as she was a woman, so a way to give her recognition.
I had never heard of her but learnt about her on ‘The Great British Menu’. Who says watching mindless tv isn’t educational?

DIL17 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:13:16

There's a few ideas which keep going around in my mind:

- Stephen Hawking

- Duke of Edinburgh (His D of E scheme has inspired so many young children)

- Emmeline Pankhurst

- The unknown soldier - obviously this wouldn't be a specific person but I think some tribute to those who have served our nation and sacrificed their own lives for us should be considered.

Kim19 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:37:02

I believe there was a huge problem with clever forgery in £50 notes which rendered them suspect everywhere. I certainly wouldn't use them. I'm so pleased we're moving into a cashless society. Trying to think how recently I suggested this was a ridiculous idea. Wrong again (!) and happy to be so on this occasion.

paddyann Thu 18-Oct-18 10:37:33

Alexander Fleming ,penicillin saved so many lives ,or Alexander Graham Bell ..where would we be without our phones

Kim19 Thu 18-Oct-18 10:37:55

Sorry should have added that I think Mrs Pankhurst a worthy consideration.

catwoman Thu 18-Oct-18 10:38:16

Love the concept of the unknown soldier!

HootyMcOwlface Thu 18-Oct-18 10:43:50

I didn’t know it couldn’t be someone still living. Shame, I like the suggestion above of Prince Phillip, I think that would be a nice nod of appreciation to him for supporting our lovely Queen all these years and of course his work on the DOE scheme amongst other things.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 18-Oct-18 10:58:43

The Queen without a doubt. No other British monarch has reigned as long which has to be an achievement.
Awaiting anti monarch flackgrin